Recipes > Poultry

Turkey Brine- Bon Appetit recipe

(1/2) > >>

akruckus:
Last time I made a Thanksgiving turkey (2 years ago) I used a great recipe from Bon Appetit.  They called for breaking down the turkey and cooking it in 8 pieces, however we just fried it.  It had great flavor reviews, better than any Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey we've made in the past and I wanted to share it with everyone if you are looking for a simple "rub"

12-14 lb Bird (we do 16lber and had enough left over for another bird)

2 Tbsp Black peppercorns (ground)
2 Tbsp Pink Peppercorns (ground)
( I just used 4 Tbsp mixed peppercorns)
heavy 1/4 cup Mortons Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Onion Power
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 Tbspn smoked paprika (used regular)

Rub it up and let it sit in the fridge for 24-48 hours then cook it up!  Hope everyone has a nice Thanksgiving, and stays safe.  Take care

zipp12:
We use the Alton Brown turkey brine.  The family request it every year.....

zueth:
First one sounds like a rub, not a brine. Alton’s brown brine is good, I have done about 4-5 different bribes and not sure if any of them made the flavor or bird that much better than another. All were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ka Honu:

--- Quote from: zueth on November 22, 2021, 11:29:40 PM ---First one sounds like a rub, not a brine.
--- End quote ---

I probably shouldn't even post since SWMBO is spending the week with her daughter's family (read "grandchildren") on the mainland and I'm home alone, so to speak. I'm replacing the traditional turkey, dressing, and gravy this year with ribs, Cowboy beans, coleslaw, and the Saints game.

Anyway, with the salt and "curing time" I'd call it a "dry brine." I'm not all that fond of soaking a turkey (I think it negatively affects the texture, especially of the white meat) and, several years ago, went to dry brines similar to the one described and have had consistently great results.

Jus' sayin'...

zipp12:
I did the Naturiffic Harvest Brine and its good, but family says Alton Brown

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version