Outdoor Cooking Equipment > Gas Grills

Gas Grills

(1/3) > >>

MJSBBQ:
Are any of you familiar with the newer Char Broil Infrared grills? I have a 15 year old Char Broil 4 burner that is getting a little frail. It has been the best grill ever for me. I have replaced the troughs through the years periodically. The newer Char Broil grills look entirely different even though they say they are infrared. Does anyone have any experience with any of these newer Char Broils, or has everyone gone to pellets and eggs?

Also, my ECB (Brinkman smoker) has finally quit working after all these years. Guess I will have to get a newer better smoker as well!

akruckus:
Interested to hear what people have to say.  I have a 20 year old weber that I put all new guts in, I keep eyeballing Big Box stores for those yellow tag floor model discounts

pmillen:
About 12 years ago I bought a Char-Broil IR grill.  I hated it.  The temperature control was nonexistent.  It was like a light switch, either on full blast or off.  The supposed stainless steel IR radiators rusted and couldn't retain seasoning because the high temperatures burned it off.  IDK what alloy the SS parts were but their corrosion resistance wasn't any better than mild steel.  I tried to convert it to a regular gasser with a tray of porcelain briquettes below the food but that was a failure too.  After a couple of frustrating years it migrated to the land fill.

I should point out that other people on the Char-Broil forum loved theirs.  So...go figure.

MJSBBQ:
So what are you using now?

The temperature control was not great for sure, but the grill itself was super dependable. True I replaced the troughs, but would expect that with any grill in that price range. I did put Grill Grates on top of the existing grates, and have loved that accessory!  I am trying to figure out where to go from here when the old guy finally croaks.

All of my friends have a BGE, but not sure if I want to go through the hassle factor of putting in charcoal and the clean up. They say it is worth it. I am so used to turn it on to a predictable heating surface with good results, and only having to clean the Grill Grates every few months.

Looking for suggestions!

pmillen:

--- Quote from: MJSBBQ on May 20, 2022, 07:54:05 AM ---So what are you using now?

--- End quote ---

Was that directed to me?

If so, see my signature line.  Of the seven items in use, I love each of them for various reasons.  I'd forego the Weber Kettle if I had to part with one of them.

BTW, from what you wrote I can tell that we had different Char-Broil IR grills.  I recall members of the Char-Broil forum having the one with a trough as an IR radiator.  I think it was nicknamed the Red.  My IR radiators were more like a grill grate directly under the food being cooked.

BTW #2, you might not want to pay much attention to my gas grill opinion because I'm a very light gas grill user.  A propane bottle lasts me about three years.  My primary use is as an oven for baked potatoes and such in the summer when I don't want to heat the kitchen.  Second most common use is when the item being cooked won't benefit from flavors provided by charcoal or wood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version