Recipes > Healthy Alternatives

Low Sodium Catsup

(1/1)

pmillen:
A guy named Jarrod posted this on another forum a few years ago.  A few members there said it is their favorite catsup.  This entire batch, around 3 cups or 24oz., is only 200mg of sodium.

BTW, Jarrod prefers to call it Ketchup.  I don't.

Ingredients

2 6-ounce cans tomato paste (Make sure 100mg sodium for each can)
1 cup of sugar
1 cup vinegar
¾ cup water, divided
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp Morton’s salt substitute
¼ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp granulated onion

Directions

* Combine 1 cup sugar and ¼ cup water in saucepan and stir until smooth
* Combine the rest of the ingredients with ½ cup water in the saucepan over medium heat and whisk until smooth
* When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often
* Remove the pan from the heat and cover until it’s cool
* Chill and store the catsup in a covered container
* Let it sit in a sealed jar in the refrigerator overnight before serving

Ka Honu:

--- Quote from: pmillen on September 18, 2022, 05:56:04 PM ---BTW, Jarrod prefers to call it Ketchup.  I don't.
--- End quote ---

After I found out that the original version of that particular condiment was called "cat soup" (for obvious reasons) and that the recipe hasn't ever really changed I decided to ban it from my universe. Y'all enjoy it, but watch out for fur balls.

Jus' sayin'...

pmillen:

--- Quote from: Ka Honu on September 18, 2022, 08:11:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: pmillen on September 18, 2022, 05:56:04 PM ---BTW, Jarrod prefers to call it Ketchup.  I don't.
--- End quote ---

After I found out that the original version of that particular condiment was called "cat soup" (for obvious reasons) and that the recipe hasn't ever really changed I decided to ban it from my universe. Y'all enjoy it, but watch out for fur balls.

Jus' sayin'...

--- End quote ---

I’m givin’ that a hard no, turtle.

TMB:
Thanks, looking forward to trying that out  :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version