Author Topic: Chicken Halves on a Hunsaker Drum Smoker  (Read 3714 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Chicken Halves on a Hunsaker Drum Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: May 25, 2023, 11:32:07 PM »
My second cook on the Hunsaker drum was four unbrined chicken halves hanging at 375°.  They were straight from the refrigerator into the drum.  I monitored their IT with a reliable old FireBoard.  The IT shot up rapidly—to 165° in the drumstick in 45 minutes.  I made several verification probes with an old Thermapen that seems accurate but blinks off and on more than I'd like.  (New batteries didn't resolve it.)

I ran the heat up to about 450° for 15 minutes to make the skin crisp and pulled them.

My first indication that they didn't cook properly was that the leg to thigh joint wouldn't easily separate with a twist and neither would the thigh to body joint.  The juices were clear, so that was a welcome sign.

When I cut the joints apart there was a considerable amount of redness near the joints and the bones were red at the joint.  Definitely undercooked to my taste.  The meat directly under the skin was reddish—I've seen something like smoke ring there before—but it also seemed "slick."  That may have been psychological because I was extremely skeptical then.

Everything went into the kitchen oven and I didn't eat any more chicken that night.  It went into salads, pasta dishes and sandwiches over the next few days.

Your thought's?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline old sarge

Re: Chicken Halves on a Hunsaker Drum Smoker
« on: May 26, 2023, 11:02:53 PM »
Always best to play it safe. You took the right course of action. Question:  Did the chicken taste good?
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 06:42:15 AM »
I would think that if your temperature of the meat was correct ( I do trust my Thermapen) it would be safe. In my experience, sometimes the meat looks a little less done in color and texture, and I have left it cook a little more for texture and appearance, but the taste didn't change.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 02:14:54 PM »
Don't have any recommendations, but I will say, better safe than sorry, especially with chicken ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 05:29:13 PM »
I do my chicken to 172 to 185 when doing the dark meat   Never had dry chicken doing it this way
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 07:18:56 PM »
IMO you did the right thing
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline pmillen

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 10:48:01 AM »
Always best to play it safe. You took the right course of action. Question:  Did the chicken taste good?

Yes, it did.  The smoke flavor was milder than I had hoped for.  The Hunsaker has a Vortex fire basket that is intended to mix the air inside the smoker to reduce hot spots.  But it's basically a unique type of heat deflector that prevents the chicken drippings from dripping directly onto the lit charcoal.  So it doesn't make the same kind of smoke fog that my Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) did and doesn't flavor the chicken in the same way.  The PBC way is better.

I'll remove the Vortex fire basket for the next chicken cook.  I should be able to match the PBC chicken I loved.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 05:22:28 AM »
The way chickens are raised in America can lead to some reddish near the bones.  Something about the feed and killing immature birds leads to this.  Nothing wrong with the meat, but always safer to error on the side of caution especially with chicken.

Pasture raised chickens are a different story.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline pmillen

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 11:09:38 AM »
The way chickens are raised in America can lead to some reddish near the bones.  Something about the feed and killing immature birds leads to this.  Nothing wrong with the meat, but always safer to error on the side of caution especially with chicken.

Pasture raised chickens are a different story.

That was all new to me, thanks.

I decided to see what information I could find online.  I found some interesting information here.  "The bones of young vertebrates (animals with a backbone) haven’t fully ossified or made the change from cartilage to bone.  ...  Because the bones of young poultry are still porous, freezing and slow cooking allows some of that hemoglobin to move from the marrow of the bone into the surrounding flesh.  This may not be pretty, but it is not at all a health risk."

I am guessing that the bone would also be reddish, like my chicken halves were.
Paul

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 07:09:04 AM »
Great information!