Author Topic: Grates - Racks - Supports - which metal is best?  (Read 7287 times)

Barry CB Martin

Grates - Racks - Supports - which metal is best?
« Reply #-1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:22:49 PM »
I have a theory that only cast iron grates really REALLY do the best job of creating sear marks.

Oh I know that stainless steel and aluminum grates are also doing a good job - but I prefer well-seasoned cast iron.  Not talking porcelain-coated cast-iron cause I pretty much find it's poorly constructed and the porcelain easily breaks and chips do to the metalurgical fact that porcelain expands more slowly than does cast iron and will form cracks from the cast iron heating and expanding more than the tolerance of the porcelain.

The other theory I have is that wire racks are pretty much there to support the meat over the fire, and it would be better cooking it they could be replaced by something thinner, stronger and as close-to-magic suspension as one could imagine.

OK - fire away - I'm looking forward to hearing some smart experienced outdoor cooks shoot holes in this!   8)

Offline Jaxon

Re: Grates - Racks - Supports - which metal is best?
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »
Would love to help you out on this, but I've no experience trying to sear on cast iron grates since my big sear comes on the Quantum IR - no cast iron there.

But doesn't it make sense that cast iron would give incredible sear as hot as it can get?  I HAVE seared steak in a cast iron skillet if that helps.

I have a Master Forge charcoal grill that I use regularly.  It has porcelain grates, but I haven't seen them chip or split yet.  That could be because I haven't used extreme heat in that grill and I use it primarily for indirect grillin'.

LA may jump in here with an answer (he always has an answer).  I learn a lot from that guy, too.

<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »
O.K.....I will take  stab at this Barry:

I have used all of the above mentioned. And - I concur with you about the porcelain infused or coated cast iron grates as on my Weber gasser). Very  disappointed in how they do not hold up well.
Straight cast iron - rust is also an issue, but htey do get hot - and you can clean them without worry.
Chrome plated grates - rust. It is that simple. You cant clean them well - because you scrape thru the chrome - then they rust...

And - I like the durability of the true stainless grates, but they lack thermal efficiency that we desire.

So - thus far I think the anodized aluminum ones - such as Grill Grates - represent the best balance of performance, and durability. Time will tell if the anodizing holds up to the abuse they take - but thermally they are a heat magnet. Part of it is the material - and part of it is the design that makes them so efficient.
If you have not yet - you need to try them.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:46:17 PM »
Have to agree with T on all of this. Best possible is like they use at most restuarants. SS flat top. But not very practical for a grill.Next best cast iron. Bit of a pain to clean and keep seasoned. Chrome worthless. SS grates easy to clean but not the best heat transfer. Anodized Aluminum such as Grill Grates are wonderfull. Great heat retention and easy to clean. They are all I grill on. Just MHO.

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »
Barry, I agree with you in theory. Have many cast iron skillets. But, where would you buy cast iron for the 4 burner RED? I'm about to buy Grill Grates as soon as he produces the size for the RED. 17 inches.
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »
Phil - I believe the standard cast iron grates by Char-Broil may fit that. I made sure to pick up a couple extras of those from a promotion I attended. Had them shipped to me! Cast iron is excellent to pack and take to the beach or camping for fire pit cooking!  The original portable grill!  8)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
One of the first things I look at in a grill ( not smokers) is the grates.
I want thick , large mass grates.
I cook a lot of seafood & veggies & like to cook without a basket frog grates etc. I like a sear on my seafood.
Cast iron meets my needs best.
My one experience with porceloin coated cast iron was good, the Vermont Castings 11 lb grates lasted 8 years.
Cast iron is easy to keep seasoned , a weber grill brush , a rag & a can of canola spay takes 1 min a cook!
One thing with cast iron grates , be patient, let the grates get up to temp before putting the meat on.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:25:30 PM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »
Barry, I agree with you in theory. Have many cast iron skillets. But, where would you buy cast iron for the 4 burner RED? I'm about to buy Grill Grates as soon as he produces the size for the RED. 17 inches.
GrillGrate makes a 17.375 grate would that work Phil?

https://www.mygrillgrate.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=40

Barry, I'm really enjoying the GrillGrates that I have.  One my HeatWave and Grill2Go they really step up the flavor and grill marks.  For the BEESR it really works well urning that cooker into a grill. 

Staring to see my grates split on the HeatWave  :-[  But I do have the GrillGrates to go on top ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:42:09 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
Thick cast iron grates are the best for searing. And if you keep them seasoned they will last forever.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
At one time or another I think I've had every common grate material in some kind of cooker.  I was most disappointed in the cast iron ones on a Coleman gasser (hard to keep seasoned and clean) and most pleased with the heavy stainless ones in my Memphis (hold heat well, good marks).  The thin wire ones (e.g. Weber kettle) I never expect much from, anyway.  Others were in between somewhere. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but Grill Grates never disappoint and can be used on any kind of cooker. 

In addition to pleasing grill marks, they contribute to grilled flavor by keeping the "sizzle" right up under the meat where it can do that voodoo that it do so well  ;D

My only complaint about GG's is cleaning them, GRRRRRRRRRR >:(  -- they crud up fairly quickly and you have to use a welding brush or something similar to grind out the grunge.  I love stuff that can just go in the dishwasher, instead.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pappymn

Grates - Racks - Supports - which metal is best?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »
I agree on the cleaning of the grill grates. I would never put them in the dishwasher as I don't put anything decent in there.

Anybody try the self cleaning oven on grill grates?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RAD

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »
Has anyone ever tried using a pressure washer to clean the grates?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:40:50 PM by RAD »
Love to cook and eat

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »
TMB.  Communicating with Grill Grates and they don't make the size needed for my RED after giving them the measurments. GG said that Charbroil changed the measurments. My grates are 16 3/4 x 7 inches. He is going to make some up.
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »
TMB.  Communicating with Grill Grates and they don't make the size needed for my RED after giving them the measurments. GG said that Charbroil changed the measurments. My grates are 16 3/4 x 7 inches. He is going to make some up.
Boy that's great, your gonna love them!!

Great service over at GrillGrates!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »
Cast iron grates are pretty easy to keep cleaned and seasoned if you take a little time. As soon as I take my meat off the grill and take inside to rest I take my brush and clean all the gunk off the grates before they have time to cool down and the gunk hardens. While the grates are still warm and all the crud is gone, spray them down with a good oil or with the high heat PAM spray. This will keep them seasoned and rust free and ready for the next cook.

My old MHP natural grill had a grate system called Sear Majic which was basically a Grill Grate before there was a Grill Grate, identical and made of heavy cast aluminum. With the base of ceramic bricquettes under them it was a good "infrared" cooking machine. It was an excellent cooker but after 10 years I didn't want to put out another $800-900 for a two burner grill. I had pulled the Sear Majic grates to keep and use on my new gasser but my wife has some sort of aversion to me keeping things and they wound up in the trash.... sigh. I will probably get a set of Grill Grates for the Weber kettle at least. The cast iron grates on my gasser do a pretty good job.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware