Author Topic: Grates - Racks - Supports - which metal is best?  (Read 7289 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Grates - Racks - Supports - which metal is best?
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 11:29:58 PM »
I have a theory that only cast iron grates really REALLY do the best job of creating sear marks.

Barry, at first the word ONLY kinda caught me. But as I started thinking about my cookers, almost everyone has cast iron grates - either from new or added later. My Weber Performer came with normal Weber grates - replaced them with the Craycort cast iron grates - http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/ - The 500X is cast iron as is the Lodge hibachi. My fire pit has cast iron grates as does the chimenea (all added later.) The only cookers without cast iron are - G2G, SRG (although I use a cast iron wok on this from time to time), and PBC - but I don't use the grates, I hang my meat... The flat top isn;t cast iron, but it is 3/4" rolled steel and I have to keep it seasoned...

So, I guess, I am on your side Barry. I know you were talking about the sear in your original post, but at the end of the day, I like cooking on iron. Even my favorite pans are cast iron or mineral steel.

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Grates - Racks - Supports - which metal is best?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »
I have a theory that only cast iron grates really REALLY do the best job of creating sear marks.

Barry, at first the word ONLY kinda caught me. But as I started thinking about my cookers, almost everyone has cast iron grates - either from new or added later. My Weber Performer came with normal Weber grates - replaced them with the Craycort cast iron grates - http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/ - The 500X is cast iron as is the Lodge hibachi. My fire pit has cast iron grates as does the chimenea (all added later.) The only cookers without cast iron are - G2G, SRG (although I use a cast iron wok on this from time to time), and PBC - but I don't use the grates, I hang my meat... The flat top isn;t cast iron, but it is 3/4" rolled steel and I have to keep it seasoned...

So, I guess, I am on your side Barry. I know you were talking about the sear in your original post, but at the end of the day, I like cooking on iron. Even my favorite pans are cast iron or mineral steel.

David

You like the Craycort? Really wanting those.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »

David

You like the Craycort? Really wanting those.

I really like them! If you don't keep them oiled, they will rust - but even when I am completely neglectful (over the winter) it only takes about 15 minutes to clean them up, and reseason and I am good to go. I am in my 3rd or 4th year and they are still going strong in spite of my worst efforts! They have the replacement 1/4's which work well - but frankly, I just love the grates. Wonderful sear, easy to clean and season. I'd never go back to steel bars. And since they are set up in 1/4's, it is easy to add charcoal - even easier than the flip up Weber grate.

I think it's Dr. Biggles that has an avatar once in awhile for his hole fire grate - and uses these. They would be perfect.

David
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:09:37 AM by drholly »
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RickB

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 03:49:21 AM »
I agree on the cleaning of the grill grates. I would never put them in the dishwasher as I don't put anything decent in there.

Anybody try the self cleaning oven on grill grates?

I do it all the time. just rinse and your done.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
Is cast iron like stainless steel in that there are different grades of cast iron and as a result varying levels of quality?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
Is cast iron like stainless steel in that there are different grades of cast iron and as a result varying levels of quality?  Dee

No Dee, most of the differance in Cast Iron is the way it is cast. That would be via a sand mold or a solid metal mold. The older Lodge Cast Iron pans were done in a metal mode and it is a water cooled mold that is very costly, the newer ones are done via a sand mold and it is much cheaper and that is what causes the rougher surface you see now on the new Lodge. As for SS there are so many grades that it will make your mind spin. Most of the SS used in grills is a low 300 series and is not very good.

My US made Jenn Air gas grill has real cast iron grates and they are not coated. SWMBO got it for my birthday in 1999 and is is still cranking out great food.

I will say that the new Char-Broil IR grills at Lowe's now have Cast Iron coated grates on top of SS emitters. Have to see how well they work.
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
good old fashioned grill marks from a "cold steel" wire grate (no chrome plating)
over a mix of lump & briquettes on the vintage Char-Broil aluminum grill
as basic as it gets

As I said, I misread Barry's original post re: grill marks. No doubt those you showed are excellent and there are many ways to get good marks. I guess I am less concerned about marks and just responding to what I like to cook on - cast iron or raw steel - just my preference. BTW - nice looking steak!

David
Member #

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »
David -- you know my rule:  "If you and your guests like it - then it's the right way.*"  8)

*exception is unsafe food handling

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »
David -- you know my rule:  "If you and your guests like it - then it's the right way.*"  8)

*exception is unsafe food handling

rats right rorge... oops that was Roscoe. Yup, I am totally with you!

David
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »
I have gotten very good grill marks from expanded metal. You don't have to rotate the meat either to get the cross sear marks..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »
GrillGrates all the way for me. I use them for grilling and smoking. That's about the only way I like bacon now days. Plus the grill marks on the bacon will blow some peoples mind when you serve it!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »
My old MHP natural gas grill had Sear Majic grates which were Grill Grates before Grill Grates were cool. When I chunked the old grill I kept the grates to use on my new gasser but my wife found them tucked behind my deck storage and chunked them.  :(   A couple hundred dollars out in the trash. That old MHP had the ceramic briquets over the burners and those Sear Majic grates. Infrared before infrared in my opinion, no flare ups, nice almost charcoal flavor. Lasted me 10 years but I didn't want to put another $800 into a two burner grill, may have to rethink that.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware