Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Food Safety Issues

Low and Slow safety

(1/4) > >>

MSP:
I read the article here on the dangers of low and slow Turkey.

But outside of Turkey/Poultry is the dangerzone from cooking low and slow and issue with other cuts of meat like Beaf and Pork?

For example Prime Rib is cooked low and slow and is finished at a temperature of 130 degrees a lot of times...which in theory means the Meat never gets out of the dangerzone.

Now I know because a prime rib is a large cut of meat that is intact there are is typically no pathogens or bad bugs past about .5 inches of the surface.

But what about pork or low and slow ribs?

Or is the dangerzone more and issue with poultry?

Thanks

muebe:
The danger zone is more of an issue with poultry than beef.

Poultry are carriers of salmonella and beef is not. Salmonella is located in their muscle therefore a higher internal temperature is required to kill it.

deestafford:
Yeah, I think chicken is cooked pretty fast.  I don't know of any diseases beef has. I think hogs used to have trigonometry, or something like that, but they no longer get it so there is no worry about it.  Of course, when I was growing up we cooked them low and slow then and still didn't get any of that trigonometry then.  I've heard of the danger zone but I would be concerned only with it for poultry.  Dee

smokeasaurus:
I don't even goof around with slo cooking poultry, crank up the heat and stay away from the emergency room. Also when checking temps in whole birds..just don't check the temp in one thigh...check both.......

Hub:
The "zone" is typically an extended stay at 140 or less  but some meats, like poultry, need even more special handling as has already been pointed out.  Most "barbeque" low and slow cooking is smoking, which uses temperatures in the low 200's.  Some other methods (Sous Vide, e.g.) are lower and slower.

Remember, it isn't just the cooking time that needs to be considered for "zone" exposure, but also what you do with your hunk of critter after you've cooked it.  Meat sitting around on the counter or table during and after the meal is a risk.  My rule is 30 minutes from cooker to fridge  ;D

Hub

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version