Author Topic: No flame with new tank  (Read 820 times)

Offline MJSBBQ

No flame with new tank
« Reply #-1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:45:31 AM »
I have a 7 year old, 4 burner RED. Last night I put a new propane tank on for a cook, but got no flame. I took the emitter off, and the starter was making sparks correctly, but no flame. Would this mean I need a new regulator hose?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: No flame with new tank
« on: June 14, 2013, 07:24:15 AM »
Mike did you try the tank safety reset procedure? You may have just tripped the excessive flow valve in the tank.

This happens sometimes when you turn on the tank valve too quickly.

1. Turn off the propane tank.

2. Open you grill burner valves to high.

3. Disconnect the tank then re-connect the tank.

4. Now turn on the propane tank valve slowly while the burners are still on high.

5. You should hear the gas flowing from the burners now. Quickly shut off the burners and your done.

If you repeat this procedure a couple times and it does not work the safety valve in the tank could be defective or the tank might actually be overfilled. I would try another tank in this case.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
I did turn it off and then disconnected it and re turned it on. I did not do it slowly, but I did not hear any gas coming out. I remember people talking about the safety valve in the past.

The tank was new--and it did seem a little heavy. My neighbor filled it for me.

I have a big group coming over this weekend. I might just go to HD or Lowes and buy a regulator to have one just in case all else fails. Come to think of it, I may can just take the regulator hose off of my TBE and use that.

I guess I could also go in the back yard and let some gas out of the tank if that fails too.

Thanks for the input. I will let you know.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
Mike, Do it tonight and take a lighter with you.  It should be pretty. :)

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
There is a small bleeder screw on the valve. If you loosen it and get liquid the tank is too full. Let out the gad from the bleeder screw until there is no more liquid. Be careful doing this. Propane is heavy and will gather on the ground. Do this away from any sources of ignition and outside of course.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:57:10 AM »
 I think it was the regulator safety thing that got me. I had read of that before, but I guess my mistake was not SLOWLY opening the valve and waiting 30 seconds. When you have many people over, it is time for the grill to turn on for the cook, the propane tank is empty, you hurry and replace it, things get attempted in too much of a hurry! The waiting for 30 seconds or more may have been key as well. Sort of like re booting a computer

I went by HD to have a spare regulator just in case for the weekend, but will take it back.

Many thanks for your help!

Sorry Dee, no flame out pictures to post!!