Author Topic: First Impressions - Traditional Smoking  (Read 5944 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
First Impressions - Traditional Smoking
« Reply #-1 on: June 21, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »
I admit it: I am a complete rookie when it comes to smoking by the traditional wood and charcoal method. So last night was a good first experience for me. I lighted the smoker at 6:00 PM and continued to 12:00AM at which time I let the fire die down. I have a long way to go before my experience data base will equal many of you who have been doing this type of smoking for a gazillion years. Here's a few of my first impressions:[/li][/list]

1. After we moved the smoker to its permanent location on the patio, I loaded it with Royal Oak Lump Charcoal. I started the fire by using my blow torch and within 30 to 60 seconds, the charcoal was flaming away. Just to let you know, I had previously watched a number of videos on YouTube where there were some excellent videos on how to start fire in the fire pit and how to keep an even temperature.

2. After the charcoal was really glowing hot, I placed 3 small split logs on the coals and the wood instantly ignited.

The Yoder Cheyenne in its new home.

The fire in the fire pit after the logs are placed.

3.After this, I closed the side door with the butterfly air control and the top lid to the fire pit. I left the butterfly air control wide open.

4. At this time, I began to watch the thermometer near the chimney stack of the smoker. I did not use anything else as I my purpose was to start a fire, keep it going and season the smoker. When the temperature reached 275 degrees, I closed the butterfly air control by 50 per cent. Within a half hour, the smoker stabilized at 250 degrees. According to everything that I read and watched on YouTube, I was informed that I should return in one hour and place more wood in the fire pit.

5. When I returned in one hour, the temperature had declined to around 215 degrees from 250 degrees. The logs that I purchased are small dry split wood that cost $10.00 for 1 cubic foot of split dry oak or mesquite or hickory or pecan. They are about 11 - 12 inches in length. Yoder recommends 14 to 16 inch lengths. So, I place about 3 pieces on the coals that were building up. I watched as the temperature popped back up to 250 to 260 degrees. I did not touch the damper. I continued this process through midnight at which time I stopped feeding anymore logs.

6. If you noticed a little smoke coming from the door, that stopped after two hours of seasoning.

7. According to the directions that I received, you can lower the temperature by either closing the butterfly damper or closing the steel cover to the chimney stack. Well, I decided to close the butterfly damper. I learned a good lesson right there as I burned the tip of my finger trying to nudge the damper handle shut. A new pair of insulated gloves have been ordered from Amazon this morning. After retrieving a cooking mitt from the house, I closed the damper by another 50 per cent down to about the 25 per cent level. The temperature dropped to 225 and stayed there for the better part of an hour dropping down to 200 degrees. I am glad that I figured that one out as I do most of my smoking on the pellet smoker at 225 degrees. So, it works.

8. This morning in nice bright light, I reviewed the progress of the seasoning. I had a nice sheen all over the main cooking area including the grills and heat management plate. So that was accomplished.

9. I cleaned the ashes out of the fire pit with the ash rake provided and it works great. I placed all of the ashes into an aluminum foil baking pan and set it near my trash can. Thinking that some of these ashes might still be alive, I just left the pan on the grass. Using paper towels, I cleaned excess grease from a few areas on the grill and threw the paper towels into the pan filled with ashes. I was surprised because those paper towels caught on fire. Good lesson learned.

10. That heat management plate also got seasoned. I also wiped that down. That piece of metal is heavy and must weigh at least 20 lbs. The plate is shaped on an angle so that it slides underneath the baffle of the Yoder. It is drilled progressively with larger holes from the baffle side to the grease drain.

11. This morning I placed a BBQ probe inside the Yoder to measure BBQ temperature at the next cook. I got a new Maverick ET 732 from A-MAZE-N Products as they had a fathers day sale giving 20 per cent off and this product had free shipping. Cost to me: $47.00. This one is for the Yoder Cheyenne. I also cut Q-Matz to the size of the Cheyenne's grill. I had purchased a couple of "at the grill" thermometers by Kingsford which I intend to use during my first cook which will be tomorrow. This is the way that looks.

So, tomorrow, I will give it a go. If you folks have any tips or suggestions, please let me know.

thanks,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pappymn

First Impressions - Traditional Smoking
« on: June 21, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »
What a great looking unit. Lot of room too. Enjoy!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Hub

Re: First Impressions - Traditional Smoking
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »
You are off to a great start and I have very little to add.  My last stick burner was a Yoder similar to yours and it took me several cooks before I got into any kind of comfort zone.  Doing a "burn off" like you did is an excellent way to get any remaining preservatives or paint skin out of the way while starting up the learning curve on the fire and settings of the dampers.

Charcoal makes a great starter base fuel, but one of the things I learned along the way was to lower my ratio of charcoal significantly once I had a good bed of embers from the smoking wood (if used -- you can cook w/ charcoal only, of course).  As long as you don't choke it back to white smoke levels, wood embers are mighty hot and will produce tasty blue smoke.  I always used hickory chunks and once I got them going I could keep a 230 average with a new chunk or two every hour or so on a calm, warm day.  You get a feel for it but outside temp and wind will affect it a lot.

On your next run, once you get a stable fire and temp, use a few cans of cheap canned biscuits placing the biscuits all over the grids, to find your hot and cold spots.  Again, unless it is windy, they'll always be there and will always be the same variations.  Your thermometers should also confirm your hot side and cool side (useful when doing multiple meat types).

Have fun and keep on cookin'   ;D

Hub

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:37:35 PM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »
Again nice unit, looks like your having fun.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »
I will only add two things:

always keep the smokestack wide open and adjust strictly at the fire box. Try to make adjustments a little earlier especially when trying to stabilize temps. A good example would be if you want to burn your pit at 250 dont damper down when the pit reaches 250 because the temps will still climb after the adjustment and you will have to wait longer for the pit to cool down to your target pit. I would start to damper down 15-20 degrees under my target temp.

Oh, if you start off with a smaller batch of coal, your fire will not get out of hand and you can then manage it easier with steady smaller re-fuels...........

Like I said, I will only add three things  ;)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »
Ed, it looks great out on your patio! I like what new diversions do for us. Have fun.....   ;D
Gene

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 10:38:18 PM »
Not much advice to give. Seems like you got a handle on things ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
What smoke said.  Adjust before you need to.  Trying to bring a temp down (especially from a flare) is a lot harder than bringing it up.  My other advice is work on meats that you are already comfortable with to start so that you are testing the smoker and not new variables.  Pork butt is very forgiving of wild temp swings, BTW.  ;)  Last thing... get to know your hot and cold spots.  Even the most efficient unit has them, and different spots will work better for different meats and at different stages of a cook.

You definitely have a lot of knowledge already for someone with no experience with offsets/sticks.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »
I started the smoker today at 10:00 AM with the basic charcoal fire using Royal Oak Natural Lump Charcoal using my blow torch. Within a half hour the charcoal was turning white and I put on the first two small wood splits and the reported temperature was 143 degrees. As the temperature began to rise and attained 208 degrees, I brought the butterfly damper to 50 per cent and added another wood split.

Today, I used the Maverick ET-732 and placed the probe on the left side of the grill near the chimney stack. I also added two surface grill thermometers one all the way to the right side and close to the firebox and the second surface grill thermometer about 6 inches to the right of center. My objective was to find out the differences in heat across the grill from one side to the other and catch any differentiation between the Yoder thermometer in the lid and Maverick below it on the grill. Here's what I found and this tracked throughout the entire cook. The surface thermometer on the right near the firebox reported 250 degrees. The Maverick on the opposite side of the grill reported 218 degrees and the surface thermometer 6 inches to the right of center reported 223 degrees. This means, to me, that the heat management plate was doing its job and evening out the temperatures of the grill and this encompassed 2/3rds of the grill. The next time, I will move right of center thermometer further right to see where on the grill that I begin to have a dramatic change in temperature.

The Maverick ET-732 is a great tool. Here I am using a very traditional wood smoker and I am using a high tech remote control thermometer to manage the heat disbursement throughout the grill .

I was really worried about the meat. I was afraid that I would over cook and it wood dry out. I prepared three lbs. of country style ribs with our own rub the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Unfortunately, we did not take a picture of the ribs on the plate but we do have one on the grill.

I did spray the ribs with apple juice every 45 minutes. After 3 1/2 hours, I put the ribs into a circular aluminum baking pan, added a little apple juice and covered them with tin foil. When we cut the ribs, they were nice and juicy and actually had a little smoke ring. They were very tender and juicy. We served this with yellow rice, a poblano pepper filled with 3 cheeses and grilled for two hours in the smoker.

I used significantly less wood today for a 6 hour cook than I did for the 6 hour seasoning the day before. And, I seem to have a nice light smooth level of smoke consistent for the entire cook.

I only had one time where I had the temperature climb to 253 today, and I corrected this by moving the damper to the 25 per cent level and when I saw the temperature stabilize, I opened the damper another quarter of an inch. It stayed very stable for over an hour with nice smoke.

I really learned a lot today. Thank you to Smoke and Hub. The guidelines that you provided worked very well and it made today's learning experience very rewarding.

My wife has been re-doing our patio this week so we finally have both of the smokers placed where she wants them.

I really enjoyed myself today and felt really good. It is worth it.

with kind regards,

Ed
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:56:29 PM by veryolddog »

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 09:33:08 AM »
Ed , you might get a partial cord of firewood cut to the length you need for your firebox like Jack ( jaxon)
Did, might be cheaper & easier than buying wood at the store.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
fruitawood.com has mini-splits which are perfect for backyard off-sets....shipping is included in the price.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips.

What I purchased just recently is a stop gap for expediency purposes. I bought these bags of wood, Pecan, Hickory, and Oak for $10.00 each. Each bag weighs about 40 lbs. and holds about 1.5 cu ft of split wood. The length of the wood is 12 inches. They also have apple and mesquite wood bags. All that I have used so far is the red oak.

I contacted a fellow who sells a variety of woods in San Antonio near the VA hospital. My next appointment is in July and I intend to stop buy and load up the back of my Jeep with just enough to store in my garage. I have a space that is 3 ft high x 6 ft long that would accommodate a supply of wood. This fellow charges $10.00 for a wheel barrel of your choice: mesquite, hickory, pecan or oak. I think that for $40.00 I could fill up this area.

In this last smoke, I found that I really did not use that much wood as I did when I seasoned the smoker. The advice that was given to me by Smoke and Hub was right on the money and it kept the fire burning with thin smoke coming from the chimney. When the end of my cook was nearing, and the wood fire had died down, I was also surprised about how much heat was generated just from the coals that kept the the main grill area about 200 degrees.

The next smoke that I am going to do is the Tri Tip which I recently purchased. I thought that I would use the Pellet Smoker this time and alternate between the two. After that, I think a whole chicken would be good for that wood smoker.

Thanks for all of your advice and keep it coming.

Ed

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »
Remember, an off-set isn't truly broken in until a brisket has been smoked in it............... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »
Remember, an off-set isn't truly broken in until a brisket has been smoked in it............... ;)
Smoke, baby steps, baby steps.
I'm thinking BB ribs.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
Smoke, baby steps, baby steps.
I'm thinking BB ribs.

Good call LA  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven