Author Topic: Smoking some beef ribs today  (Read 5117 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Smoking some beef ribs today
« Reply #-1 on: July 26, 2013, 04:40:55 PM »
Just went to Wal-Mart to deposit a check (They have an office of Wells Fargo there) and buy some milk. Had to walk by the meat counter just to check it out. They had an abundance of both beef and pork ribs today including something called pork loin back ribs. I bought both of them. I will cook the baby back ribs tomorrow and save the others for another cook.

I am going to try to foil these ribs in the foiling technique illustrated by Jaxon. Someone better check on me because I might be all wrapped up in tinfoil including the smoker if something goes awry. Gotta think positive.

The baby back were $2.18 per lb. and the pork loin back ribs were $3.58 per lb.

Ed
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:20:14 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pappymn

Ribs on the wood smoker tomorrow
« on: July 26, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
Good luck with the foil VOD. I still think Jaxson Was looking at the girl ;)

I know I was ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: Ribs on the wood smoker tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »
Well, I did not get a chance to smoke food yesterday so the ribs stayed in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap for another day. Got the Yoder Cheyenne going this morning at 9:00 AM and the ribs are on.

Started the fire and it was doing nicely. I watched how they maintained a fire in Lockhart and there is no firebox. There is just an opening on the floor and logs of wood next to that opening. With a good draft, that flame and heat was just sucked into that pit to cook all the meat they had. So I left the all of the firebox open for an hour and the pit rose to 225. Then I closed the top lid to the firebox and left the door open about one inch and the air vents open all the way. It hit 250 without any trouble on the lid thermometer and was climbing. When it hit 288, I closed the air vent to 3/4 open. Still had a nice flame and lots of heat maintain 250 where it has been sitting for the last hour.

Ribs were dusted for a second time.

Ribs on the grill.

In his videos, Aaron Franklin, always puts a pan with water in his smoker. So, yesterday, at Walmart, I purchased as steel bowl for that purpose and put it into the smoker. I watched his brisket video again. Every time that I see it, I learn something new.

Who says that you cannot get thin blue smoke out of wood smoker at 250 degrees?

Time to check the fire. I'll touch base with this later.

Just wanted to update you folks, I used mayonaise for the base before the rub was applied. And then I tin foiled the ribs just the way it was shown in the video that Jaxon made.

Ed
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:23:08 PM by veryolddog »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Smoking some beef ribs today
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »
Ed those ribs are packaged in a solution. Did your rub contain a large amount of salt? I find those ribs don't need a salty rub due to being in a brine. And they end up having a hammy taste.

Good luck and look forward to the finish pics.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Ribs on the wood smoker tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
Nice!

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »
Good looking smoker setup.

Hanging on a thread waiting for the finish ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Ribs on the wood smoker tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:52:45 PM »
...foiled the ribs just the way it was shown in the video that Jaxon made.

Jaxon made a video?  About foil?  Starring himself or that semi-presentable chick who didn't know how to cook?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »
Well, ......ribs are finished.

Ed those ribs are packaged in a solution. Did your rub contain a large amount of salt? I find those ribs don't need a salty rub due to being in a brine. And they end up having a hammy taste.

Good luck and look forward to the finish pics.

If these beef ribs are packaged in a solution, I didn't notice. You must be reading the label of the pork ribs. However, my very own rub, Texas Kick Ass Rub #1 does not have any salt or sugar added at all. I do that intentionally as some times I use other methods of spicing up the product and that way there becomes too much salt. My rub consists of southwestern, Italian and heat spices.

In any event, I began cooking with the 3-2-1 method. At the conclusion of the 3 rd hour, I foiled the ribs. I thought that I could do this neatly but that did not happen. I am lucky that one of the slabs did not end up on the floor. More practice. After I foiled the ribs in which I put some beef broth, I let the temperature drop to 225 degrees as I did not want to dry everything up. After 1 and 1/2 hours, I opened the foil and basted them with my hot sauce and let them sit in the pit for another 1/2 hour. By that time, the pit temperature had fallen to 200 degrees as I did not put any more fuel into the firebox for over 2 hours.

The ribs were dark so I gave them another coat of hot sauce because Pappy likes his ribs with a shine. I figured they must be dried out and not chewable. So I slice some up and put them on my plate.

Boy, was I wrong. These beef ribs were nice and moist inside. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the worst and this was 180 degrees opposite. Don't get fooled by the dark color of the outside of the food you are cooking. It is the inside that counts. I even got a nice little smoke ring. Here's a thought, smoke the ribs for 3 hours and then toss them in a big pot with about a thousand onions and you could get a nice onion soup out of this served with some Italian bread with melted mozzarella cheese all over it.  Just a thought.

Here's Dixie out in the backyard enjoying a very meaty and juicy rib for herself, because she's a good girl. She gave me two paws up for quality. She doesn't even mind the hot sauce.

Well, that's the end of my cook for today. It's fun to cook on the stick burner. Every time that I do this whether it is the Pellet Smoker or the Wood Smoker, I learn something new. This time I added a steel pan to the smoker grill filled with water. I really believe that helped to keep things moist. That allowed me to keep the lid closed instead of opening the lid every 1/2 hour or 1 hour to spritz the ribs with apple juice. Aaron Franklin uses the water and says to keep the lid closed to keep the heat in and steady. I did not even use that much wood. Maybe 3 to 4 chunk pieces. I added some lump every time that I added the wood. This seemed to keep heat fairly steady at 250 degrees. It's this challenge of tuning which keeps my interest. And, the results are not that bad either.

Happy trails.

Ed

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 07:20:20 PM »
Great looking beef ribs.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:32:24 PM »
Nice job Ed!! I really enjoyed reading this post and viewing your pictures :)

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »
What a great post, Ed.  I'm gonna try that idea of leaving the firebox open the next time I cook.  I have seen pictures of the Lockhart pits, but I didn't make the connection like you did.  It oughta work just fine...if not, I can always adjust.

The beef ribs look like they really turned out.  It's kinda hard finding beef ribs here.  They have the short ribs - which are short on meat - but nice lookin' beef ribs are either in short supply or over my meat budget.

I'll be lookin' forward to the pork loin back ribs.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:02:58 AM »
Looks great.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 07:24:07 AM »
They look great Ed!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven