Author Topic: I am going to do it again!  (Read 1879 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
I am going to do it again!
« Reply #-1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
 8) Ever since Captain Jack showed a picture of some very beautiful beef ribs on one of his posts, I have been hungry for beef ribs. I thought that they might have had them at Smitty's, but they did not. So, this past Sunday, I smoked a couple of slabs and they were um-good. Even Dixie loved them as I received 2 paws up from her. I still have that craving for beef ribs, so I went back to supermarket and I purchased another package of the same beef ribs which have two slabs, and another package of beef ribs with a much longer bone like maybe from a rib roast or something or non-trimmed back ribs. They were a lot less expensive at $1.18 per lb than the other back ribs which were $2.18 per lb. But, they had meat on them just the same. Dixie will really like that big bone.

So, I just finished preparing the ribs by basting them with mayo and then sprinkled my rub on them for a little added flavor. Not too much this time. Then they got wrapped and went into the fridge for an overnight stay. The wife is looking forward to this.

So, I am going to fire up the Cheyenne tomorrow and let it do its job. I intend to make sure that I can maintain 250 degrees for six hours or maybe 5 1/2 or whatever. When I wrap them, I have to check that I have enough beef broth to put into the tinfoil wrap or I will use apple juice.

Too bad Jaxon isn't here to participate, we could double the order and participate in the ritual of smoke. And, maybe video tape two guys having a good time around the smoker.

Now, I have to think about a side dish that goes with ribs. Aha! I just thought of the best side dish that goes with ribs---------------------------------------------------MORE RIBS. To hell with the rest of the stuff. They are nothing but fillers and distractions from the good stuff.

Alright, we'll touch base tomorrow.

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: I am going to do it again!
« on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »
Go get 'em Ed!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »
Come on up to DFW and I'll take you out for all you can eat beef (back) ribs.  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:17:50 PM »
Looking forward to updates! Jaxon - get up there with your camera!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »
Ed, I'd sure love to be their to help you tend the fire and make a movie.  I hope your new camera is fully charged...get plenty of video.

If the weather cooperates, I'll be smokin' something this weekend - probably another butt and a chicken or 2.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
Ok....I am at it again. I have the ribs on the smoker. Temperature at 250 degrees. I was going to try video recording this but I have to charge the battery before this gets going. If I get a green light, then I will try to get some video in. Then the next step is what do I do with it afterwards. How do I edit and how do I send it to the message that I want to post? Those are the big questions that need to be answered.

Here are ribs waiting to go on the smoker grill.

Here are the ribs in the smoker.

The ribs sat in the fridge all night and I pulled them out to get them to room temperature this morning. Yesterday, I coated them with mayo and then rub. I did that the last time, and I was surprised at how juicy and moist that they had become. So, I did it again. I usually use yellow mustard. 

I have to admit that I am not as pleased with my wood fire as I was the last time. I need to keep remembering that less is more. And, I overdid it a little today, so I have a little more smoke than I wanted. Live and learn. I am letting more air flow now so that the wood will burn down to create less smoke.

The saga continues.

Ed

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
Those look good so far Ed!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
I am going to do it again!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
Dayum!

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
Well, I was going to post some pictures of the finished ribs. At least that was my good intention. However, my son stopped over the house with his son, and this was Mom's night to go out, so they both wanted to have dinner. I just got the camera out to take a picture and I had hands on filling their plates. Then I saw Dixie running out the back door with a big rib in her teeth heading for the shaded grass to enjoy her rib. I was lucky to grab 3 for myself and 3 for the wife. Everything is gone.

They fell off the bone and were very tasty. So there went 3 slabs of back ribs. If I knew that was going to happen, I would have put 2 more slabs in the smoker. Incredible.

So, what i would like you to do is think about the most luscious ribs you ever had. Got that picture. Now you seen my ribs.

Thank for looking in. Now its Bogart night on Turner Classic Movies.

Ed

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »
What rub did you use on those Ed? They looked good in your pics above.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 09:41:15 PM »
Actually, that rub is my own home grown creation called Texas Kick A$$ Rub #1 with a cup of brown sugar added to the entire mixture. I could send you the recipe if you would like it. I suppose with the brown sugar it should be called Texas Kick Ass Rub #2. The rub is not exotic. It basically uses Italian, Southwestern and heat spices. I would create more heat but I would be the only one eating the food. So, I usually add chili oil to my food to kick it up a notch.

I keep both mixtures on hand in Lock and Lock sealed containers. I have also promised myself to go out and buy some Kerr or Ball canning jars for this purpose as well.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:15:36 PM by smokeasaurus »