Author Topic: charcoal just taste better to my family  (Read 3812 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
charcoal just taste better to my family
« Reply #-1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
well, last night I was going to cook chicken halves.  i asked my wife if i could use my WSM w/ no wood or my mak pellet grill?  she said she didn't care as long as I use the weber kettle (its funny has she said she didn't care what I used and then told me exactly what to use.  been married along time).  i asked her if she even liked the food coming off my pellet grill?  she said for the last 3 1/2 years of using pellet grills that the food was just ok.  what?  just ok?  why the h#ll didn't you tell me you didn't like the food.  she said that the pellet grill made me happy when i used it and she was good w/ that (what a good wife).  she told me for the last 30 years i have cooked on a weber kettle, WSM or a brinkman and the food always tasted good.  we don't use gas in our house.  just charcoal or pellets.  a good friend of mine brought it to my attention that pellet grills produce a very clean smoke taste on your food compared to cooking w/ charcoal and wood for more of a smoky flavor.  got me thinking about selling my pellet grills and just getting some more kettles and WSM's.  i have always loved my pellet grills for the ease of use and i think the food comes off taste pretty good but the food coming off my WSM has better flavor.  do a lot of you that use charcoal and pellets like the flavor coming off your pellet grills?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:15:30 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: charcoal just taste better to my family
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
I do not use a pellet grill but have had plenty of food coming off of them, and I most definitely prefer charcoal/wood.

P.S. My wife has no reservations telling me exactly what she prefers (not a lot of smoke and mild rub) but also understands that I cook for the enjoyment of it and that I like an aggressive smoke profile (along with an aggressive black pepper profile).  Wives are great!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
This past Saturday, we thawed out a nice thick rib eye steak. I went outside and fired up the gas grill and temp started rising. I go in the house and retrieve the steak which she had marinading all afternoon and the temperature was dropping in the grill. WTH! I am out of gas. Only in the propane tank.

So, I uncovered my Yoder Cheyenne Wood Smoker with the offset firebox. I loaded the fire box with Royal Oak Lump Charcoal, took the blow torch and fired it up. I retrieved my inset grill for the firebox and placed it into position. In 20 minutes those coals were white hot. I tossed on the steak and using my ludicrous speed teal thermapen, pulled the steak when it was 130 degrees internal temperature.

My wife, who has always been a proponent of the gas grill for fast cooks and would not let me get rid of it, now wants her steaks cooked on the offset firebox with charcoal. Go figure.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »
If my family didn't revolt last Thanksgiving (it sure aint fun being blamed for ruining Thanksgiving dinner), I would still be using charcoal. I miss the flavor, they don't, I do........I like the flexibility of the pellet grill for cooking certain items in the 300-350 range but I have found out the pellet grill is not the one hit wonder I would only want to have on my patio......I am thinking of getting a small charcoal cooker just for my food.............. ::)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
Charcoal or pellets both provide excellent flavor.  There is some slight convenience advantage to pellets.  I and my family do not like the oversmoked, "creosote" flavor that you get with a lot of white smoke, so pellets produce just the right amount.  Occasionally, I'll add chips or chunks to the charcoaler, but very carefully because it doesn't take much.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Sam3

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »
I was a gas grill guy up until a few years ago. I have three charcoal cookers and one pellet cooker. The gas grill is to heat up the occasional hot dog nowadays.
Most of my cooking is done on the Weber Kettle. At least three to four times a week, for the simple weeknight dinners.
I love the ease of the pellet cooker for making roast beef, pastrami and ribs. It gives me enough smoke flavor as it is.
In fact, I don't use any wood anymore in my WSM either. I prefer the charcoal flavor alone, my wife does too.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »
Might as well stoke the flames, so to speak - I'm of the school that doesn't think charcoal by itself imparts flavor at all.  I've pretty much always felt that way and had my opinion (which of course is more correct than anyone else's). I'll stick with my smoker or use my IR gassers and add smoke as required.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:07:05 PM by teesquare »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »
I do like chicken done on charcoal but for most other cooks I prefer my pellet smoker, a lot less mess and fuss. The low and slow of a pellet smoker was made for us old foggies!  ;D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
Sparky,
My wife also prefers charcoal over my pellet grill, at least on those things that get cooked much faster.  I went to cook a steak the other day and she said, "you're using the Weber, right?"  Yes dear.  She "allows" me to cook the pulled pork or pulled beef on my MAK.  Basically, if I can cook something on the MAK, or Weber, or the PBC, I am good.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
Love my Weber kettles & WSM. Love my pellet grill. Each has its place and time to be used.

This topic came up just after lunch yesterday when I gave my boss a couple of pieces of comp chicken and three ribs from last weekend's competition. (greasing the wheels a little never hurts!)

Anyway, his first comment was that the ribs had a more pronounced smoke flavor than the last comp ribs I brought him. These were cooked on the WSM as opposed to the pellet cooker ribs I brought him from a previous comp. He liked the smokier ribs better, and I do too, but there's something to be said for the convenience of pellet cookers.

My family has no preference, but they have mentioned the smokier flavor of anything cooked over charcoal w/ wood vs. pellet cooker foods.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »
My wife is not a "smoked" meat fan. Nor is she a BBQ snob.

But, she will tell you flatly that she prefers the flavor of chicken cooked in the PBC  - And I agree - over any over method. It has a distinct flavor. Is it the charcoal - or the drippings on the charcoal that cause the flavor? Who cares?
What we do know is that it tastes great. I see no controversy in that..... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »
My wife is not a "smoked" meat fan. Nor is she a BBQ snob.

But, she will tell you flatly that she prefers the flavor of chicken cooked in the PBC  - And I agree - over any over method. It has a distinct flavor. Is it the charcoal - or the drippings on the charcoal that cause the flavor? Who cares?
What we do know is that it tastes great. I see no controversy in that..... ;D

Have to agree with that!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
The PBC and UDS type smokers that let the meat drip directly on the coals, have a special flavor all their own. I think the drippings hitting the coals create a "Grease Fog" that adds another layer of flavor to the meat..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:46:27 PM »
why the OldSmokey is a better cooker than the Weber
3" more inches between the fire and the grate
and a whole lot more room under the lid

I would have to differ w/ ya capt.  i also don't think the old smokey is a better cooker than the weber.  3" extra inches between the fire and grate don't mean much to me.  just move the meat over to the other side of the kettle.  i also like that the weber is a baked on finish and love the ash catcher on them.  got to love the wheels too.  now come on capt, you have to admit the weber is a good grill or why else would they be selling so many of them.  and before i came to this forum i have never seen a old smokey before or heard of them.  i do think your is pretty cool and have seen great food coming off of it.  is one better than the other.  maybe but i think we use the grills / smokers because were comfortable w/ the equipment. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:48:17 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »
I enjoy cooking with charcoal, gas, electric, and pellets.  I think most people have their favorite way(s) of cooking outdoors, and I'm no exception - there are different uses for different reasons:
  • I like to use the pellet smoker in the winter because it is a bit cold for my old electric unit.  I also like to smoke various meats on the pellet unit and then finish them in the indoor oven during winter because in addition to helping warm the kitchen, it also smells wonderfully smoky  ;D
  • I have a tiny Big Green Egg, and use lump charcoal in it - this unit is great when the wife and I want a cozy grillin' event for just the two of us, right next to the egg.  Besides, it is great for using in the RV.  Using lump charcoal in the tiny egg is for me almost like being next to a campfire - mesmerizing to look at the glowing coals, slight flame, and developing ash
  • There is no substitute in my recipe book for electric when smoking salmon and making beef jerky - I done both of those for lots of years, and no one has ever complained.  (You want honest opinions of your food?  ...serve it to your family ;D )

I just recently started using a Bradley electric, and I'll use it in the winter for great cold smoked items like lox and cheese, but from many comments I've read, I suspect that the heat loss (due to the sub-zero temperatures we often get) will be too great to do hot cooking.

I've an SRG on order because of the stories I've read on this fine forum, and am very much looking forward to doing a turkey this Thanksgiving, as well as many other IR seared treats throughout winter.

... yep, the old cliche is definitely true; there's a proper tool for every job  ... at least, that's what I keep telling my wife when I want a new toy  ;D