Author Topic: testing different smokers  (Read 4027 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: testing different smokers
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »
After watching these posts and seeing what Sparky is going through with his family, it reminds me of my own family dilemma. The difference is my family likes the pellet grill grub better than charcoal. I disagree and have decided to start cooking with myself in mind.

Somewhere the suits over at Kingsford are smiling....... ;)   To be continued........

All I can say Sparky is I know ya gotta keep your family happy, but consider your own taste buds as well  ;) ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

testing different smokers
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »

After watching these posts and seeing what Sparky is going through with his family, it reminds me of my own family dilemma. The difference is my family likes the pellet grill grub better than charcoal. I disagree and have decided to start cooking with myself in mind.

Somewhere the suits over at Kingsford are smiling....... ;)   To be continued........

All I can say Sparky is I know ya gotta keep your family happy, but consider your own taste buds as well  ;) ;)

I always knew you would come back. You have charcoal in your veins. Nothing wrong with using both.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »

"Kingsford just announced that planned layoffs have now been cancelled and immediate job openings are now available. Full story at 10PM"
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
I am with muebe on the use of the Hops pellets from Milt as a flavored smoke supplement. They do give meats like ribs - or steaks- a very nice extra note that is unlike anything else I have tried.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 10:22:49 AM »
I am keeping the gas grill. I can't tell ya how handy it is for quick cooks during the week.

I am keeping the pellet grill. There are certain dishes that a gas or charcoal grill just can't make.

But it is on and popping on the charcoal come-back. Eric has been unleashed and Lowes and Home Depot site is being looked at daily................

Smoke is back, Jack!!  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »
I apologize upfront to Sparky for accidentally getting this excellent thread de-reailed...sorry Sparky.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

testing different smokers
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »

I am keeping the gas grill. I can't tell ya how handy it is for quick cooks during the week.

I am keeping the pellet grill. There are certain dishes that a gas or charcoal grill just can't make.

But it is on and popping on the charcoal come-back. Eric has been unleashed and Lowes and Home Depot site is being looked at daily................

Smoke is back, Jack!!  :) :)

Bet I know what Capt. Jack would recommend ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »
I am going back to my roots..........Lost Arrow knows what I mean  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
Great job buddy......enjoy the open bar......nothing better

and, my wife said she will drive the truck home.   :D ;D :)
Now how good is that? Sounds like a fine day Sparky! Although you may have to make a rack or two of coal-smoked ribs for the cause.   ;D
I'm enjoying your comparison testing. I do agree with Muebe and Tee that to be fair some extra smoke in the pooper should be thrown in. But when it's all said and done, it comes down to personal preference. My tastes seem to vary. I enjoy my pellet grill immensely,but at times I yearn for that charcoal flavor. I think my gasser, pellet pooper, and charcoal as sorta like children. They are different with different attributes. Do I have a favorite? Not overall but on any given day one may be preferred over the others. Just my two cents. Let the testing continue......

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »
I apologize upfront to Sparky for accidentally getting this excellent thread de-reailed...sorry Sparky.......

It's ok rub pusher man.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »

It's ok rub pusher man.   ;)

I gotta couple of new ones I am trying Sparky.....will pm ya once I think they are worth your time..... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
okie dokie.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »
I am offline for 24 hours, and the world has returned to charcoal.  I need to go MIA more often.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »
The ribs on the left have a much nicer smoke ring appearance. I guess it goes to what you like and how easy it is for you. For me, electric smokers are SO much easier and idiot proof for reproducible results. That is important for someone like me who is much less experienced.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »
I don't think there is any one cooker that truly excels at everything. I love m pellet cookers for the convenience, and consistency of flavor profile. THat - I can adjust by adding an Amazen tube if I want. I love my Weber gasser if I am searing, or cooking a bunch of burger or hot dogs for a group that is not BBQ savvy.....
And - I love my Smokin' Tex for the convenience when doing pulled pork. Cant beat it. I love my PBC for chicken, and other cuts of meat - but it is not my first choice for long, low and slow - or searing. It is a "power cooker" in a specific temp range - and unbeatable for that!

But, the Smokin Tex cannot cook chicken that you can eat the skin ( way to rubbery...) because of how well it retains moisture. That is a plus for the pork butt - but a negative on the chicken. And the pellet grill can sear....if you put you Grill Grates in it - but still - NOT like a Weber gasser with Grill Grate in it ;D......

So - my point is that for the same reasoning that we have several different knives - we need several different cookers. Each one does certain things better than the other. My paring knife is great for detail work in tight around bone - but it is not the best choice for slicing a full packer brisket ;). Can I do it? Sure - but the results will be a compromise, and fall short of expectations.
The same is likely true for cookers. There may be some exceptions at the upper end of spending - but in the practical range of where most of us live...... I think this hypothesis will hold true ;).
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401