Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Food Safety Issues

Tailgating / camping and etc

(1/3) > >>

MSP:
I was thinking in a tailgating or campout atmosphere could you keep boiling water on the side and dip your tons or utensils in them each time after use to keep them safe and clean.

For example you use tongs to put raw chicken on grill.

You then put the tongs in boiling water for say 5 seconds.

Use same tongs to flip chicken...put the same tongs back in boiling water for 5 seconds.

The use tongs to remove cooked chicken off the grill.

Would this be safe if you put them in the boiling water each time to sanitize?

veryolddog:
It's funny you should mention this. On the rare occasions when I happen to be at a base in Viet Nam like Quang Tri and I went to the mess hall to eat, you had to go through this process every time. To get your food, you picked up a steel tray. After you fed yourself, you walked down a line of trash cans. The first trash can you dumped all of your left overs and scraped them off of the steel tray. Then you went to the next trash can and it was filled with the first rinse of boiling water. You dipped your tray into that. Then you went to the next trash can with filled also with boiling water and again you dipped your tray into that as well. When this was completed, you set the tray on top of other damp trays to be used again.

Funny how things stick in your memory when they are triggered by something that someone says.

Ed

LostArrow:

--- Quote from: MSP on August 23, 2013, 02:10:18 PM ---I was thinking in a tailgating or campout atmosphere could you keep boiling water on the side and dip your tons or utensils in them each time after use to keep them safe and clean.

Use same tongs to flip chicken...put the same tongs back in boiling water for 5 seconds.

--- End quote ---
If boiling water not feasible other options
Dip in bleach solution, after 30-60 sec. Wipe with towel.
Stick tongs in fire for few seconds.
Wipe with towel & discard towel.

MSP:

--- Quote from: LostArrow on August 23, 2013, 05:29:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: MSP on August 23, 2013, 02:10:18 PM ---I was thinking in a tailgating or campout atmosphere could you keep boiling water on the side and dip your tons or utensils in them each time after use to keep them safe and clean.

--- End quote ---
If boiling water not feasible other options
Dip in bleach solution, after 30-60 sec. Wipe with towel.
Stick tongs in fire for few seconds.
Wipe with towel & discard towel.

--- End quote ---

Buy boiling water would work...Am I right...???

pz:

--- Quote from: MSP on August 23, 2013, 07:55:53 PM ---Buy boiling water would work...Am I right...???

--- End quote ---

To sanitize, yes, but sterilize not necessarily.  Sanitization means to kill almost everything whereas sterilization means to kill everything.  At work we use an autoclave to sterilize our instruments and media - an autoclave is a machine that steam sterilizes the contents under pressure at a temperature of 121C (around 250F, well above the boiling point of water)

For me personally, sanitication is plenty good enough for my cooking utensils, and a dip in boiling water is even more than I use.  If you're concerned, keep the water boiling and then keep the working end of the utensil submerged between uses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version