Author Topic: Weber "Mini" Smoker  (Read 5010 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Weber "Mini" Smoker
« Reply #-1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:06:28 AM »
Weber is bringing back the 1880 – 14.5″ Mini Smoker
by TROY on MAY 10, 2013

From left to right, an original Weber 1880, Weber 18″ Smokey Mountain Cooker, Weber 22″ WSM
An anonymous but credible source close to both the Weber Kettle Club and Weber-Stephens has reported that in 2014 Weber will officially Re-Launch the 1880. This rumor has surfaced a number of times in years past, but has never actually came true. This time there’s enough details to actually be believable!
The 2014 Weber mini WSM doesn’t have an official model name, although we’re told it will NOT be an 1880.
It will have a few upgrades as well. The new mini smoker will have an ash pan (which is actually a heat shield) that clips onto the legs like the 18″ and 22″ WSMs have. It will sport a temp gauge in the lid. It will also have two small holes in the lid for temp probes! These two holes will also make their way to the 18″ and 22″ WSMs in 2014.

History of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker (WSM) and Weber 1880
The Weber Smokey Mountain cooker was released in 1981. It came in two sizes, the model 2880 was the 18″ smoker and the model 1880 was the 14.5″ smoker. The smaller version was only in production for 2 years – likely because it sold for $100, which was only $20 cheaper than it’s bigger brother.

The market has changed though. Charcoal is getting more expensive. More and more of us Weber Kettle Club members have built Mini WSMs using a Weber Smokey Joe and a giant tamale steamer pot.

Weber has clearly taken notice of the WKC, our passion for its products, and our innovative habits.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:09:52 AM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Weber "Mini" Smoker
« on: August 24, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »
i'm going to buy the 14.5 WSM.  perfect for butt, chicken, abt's.  I am so looking forward to it.  and all 2014 WSM's will come w/ a new silicone grommet for probe leads and the bottom cooking shelf w/ come w/ tall handles to make it easier to take it out.  ya.  I heard you could get them last part of October.   :P
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
I might have to jump back in as well! Looks good.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
I've spoken to a lot of people, here locally, that have expressed positive interest in the smaller smoker. Most of them are either Weber Kettle owners who have converted their kettles to WSM or who own an WSM 22.5 already. They expressed the idea that they want the versatility to more than one thing and have smaller portions.

I asked them why they would not purchase a ceramic komada type product and the issue was primarily cost. They felt that the WSM could do the same thing. I really could not converse on this because I do not know anything about ceramic products and I have not tried to really do an extended cook in the Weber Kettle as some of the folks here have done.

But, that topic of WSM versus ceramic Komado cooker would be great for another thread.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
Lets see.....if a Weber Kettle gets knocked over, you stand it back up and get cooking. If the ceramic smoker goes down for any reason.........it's over........ :'(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »
Lets see.....if a Weber Kettle gets knocked over, you stand it back up and get cooking. If the ceramic smoker goes down for any reason.........it's over........ :'(

That seems pretty conclusive. Or is this the situation if you push it over the second floor of a building? Are these units that fragile? There is an entire market that has millions of dollars of sales for these products that they cannot be that fragile.

With your description and with the winds that we have here, that product would not last one season. There goes $900.00.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »
I never thought of it getting knocked over... guess that's another mark. But, my issue is - the Weber WSM is perfect for what it does, in my mind pretty much the best. I have several cookers (just ask my wife) to do everything else. So, the cost difference is good enough for me.

One of my brothers is an "egg head", he keeps telling me that it can bake, grill, smoke, etc. My thought is, once I have committed to high heat on the egg, I am committed - I can't (in a short time) do something else. So, for the same money, I can buy 2 or 3 cookers and be truly flexible.

Just my thoughts.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
If the price is right, I will definitely pick one up.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
LA, have your shared your Weber "mini" smoker pictures and directions on this forum?
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 03:49:03 PM »
LA, have your shared your Weber "mini" smoker pictures and directions on this forum?
Great little smoker, make out of weber smoky foe gold.
Not as versitle as the WSM 14 will be but pretty good!

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=553.0
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp