Author Topic: Way off topic...but near and dear to me.....  (Read 2375 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Way off topic...but near and dear to me.....
« Reply #-1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:19:42 PM »
Very Interesting bit of History ...
"The Start of an Air Force: Israel"

Fascinating and inspiring...

A GOOD STORY NOT KNOWN BY MANY.

The only four (4) airplanes Israel had when the war of independence began were smuggled from CzechRepublic . They were German "Messerschmidt 109". They were assembled overnight in Tel Aviv and were never flight tested.This is a short video about their pilots.

Watch it. You will not be disappointed.

P.S. Contrary to popular perception (by the people who do not know history), the United States ' assistance to Israel during the war of independence was quite different.

Americans were not allowed to join the fight and arms embargo has been established and enforced by the FBI. At the same time Arab armies were very well supplied by the same countries who maintained arms embargo against Israel and of course had great advantage in manpower. Watch this video

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Way off topic...but near and dear to me.....
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
wow.

This is an incredible, powerful story. I don't care about politics. If you think of the "birth" of our country - I think you have to appreciate the struggle for independence.

But the film itself is so well done. I make videos - I am in awe of the way this was edited and built. It is wonderful.

Thank you for posting this.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »
Great story! Real courage! Outf......ning Standing!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Northshore

Way off topic...but near and dear to me.....
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Very good video.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »
I am glad you liked it!

When one considers that there were 4 scrapped together ME-109's...Against far more aircraft in 1948...Then, look at the specifics of the 1967, "6 day war"....it can't be coincidence that one country the size of the state of NJ can do all of this without some supernatural help... ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »
Well worth the watch. Thanks :)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »
I am glad you liked it!

When one considers that there were 4 scrapped together ME-109's...Against far more aircraft in 1948...Then, look at the specifics of the 1967, "6 day war"....it can't be coincidence that one country the size of the state of NJ can do all of this without some supernatural help... ;)

Why should that surprise you? Look what these folks to that small strip of land and the contributions in science, technology and medicine that they keep introducing to world as well as the advanced techniques in farming, and de-salinization and have a standard of living equivalent to Western society. What a contrast to the rest of the nations in that area.

I can assure you that after serving with them TAD, they have a totally different attitude with respect to intelligence gathering, and the conduct of war as opposed to the USA.
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline RickB

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
I am glad you liked it!

Why should that surprise you? Look what these folks to that small strip of land and the contributions in science, technology and medicine that they keep introducing to world as well as the advanced techniques in farming, and de-salinization and have a standard of living equivalent to Western society. What a contrast to the rest of the nations in that area.

I can assure you that after serving with them TAD, they have a totally different attitude with respect to intelligence gathering, and the conduct of war as opposed to the USA.

Yes they do....and the  USA should take lessons!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
Very moving Tim. I had read a bit about the war to establish the State Of Israel but had not heard of this. Thanks for sharing.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 09:17:25 PM »
We in the US have much to be proud of; however, there are a few things of which we should be ashamed and the way Truman treated the Jews when he turned away a ship load of Jews seeking asylum in the US and not supporting the Founding of Israel have to be at the top of the list in my opinion.

I hate to get political but I'm going to make one statement:  I wish to God we would quit caring about what other countries think and put the interest of the USA first in everything we do.  If it ain't good for us, we shouldn't do it.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 09:55:56 PM »
really good video.  thanks for sharing T.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 09:59:07 PM »
My pleasure folks!

It does not really surprise me Ed - I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. I come from a long line of bagel benders.... ;) ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 11:30:40 PM »
Very inspiring to say the least. It truly does remind me of our nation's beginnings as well. This is a great example of why we root for the "underdogs" so much of the time. Great clip, thanks for sharing Tim!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 02:16:06 AM »
... put the interest of the USA first in everything we do.  If it ain't good for us, we shouldn't do it.

A government whose function is to act in the national interest?  What a quaint concept!

...they have a totally different attitude with respect to intelligence gathering, and the conduct of war as opposed to the USA.

Hmmm.  Might be because their enemies (and most of their friends) can lose as many wars as they have to and keep trying again but the Israelis wouldn't survive even one loss.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
Israel as a people have come back from near extinction to what they are today. Part of the reason they have survived is they were forced to become their best. They are surrounded by enemies and have to stay one step ahead. Surrounded by countries that want to force them into the water. They are a strong  people with values. And everyone there has to serve in the military.

No one there standing with their hand out waiting for their government to take care of them. Too busy using their hand to clean up debris from a school that was blown up by a suicide bomber.

Imagine if we had to deal with the weekly carnage they do!

Thanks for the link to that video Tee. I found it very inspiring.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven