Author Topic: A NEW question for you  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Hub

Re: A NEW question for you
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 08:57:51 AM »
Meat wii take smoke as long as smoke is present. The smoke ring will usually quit forming at about 140 internal degrees. You want more smoke ring (and by the way), has very little to do with the amount of smoke flavor in your piece of meat, put the meat into the cooker straight from the fridge. Using a balanced (equal salt to sugar) rub will also help with your smoke ring and of course a sprinkle of Tender Quick will get you there as well.

Smoke ring not very important in the flavor of your meat. A fellow can get a wonderful smoke ring in his kitchen oven using a product like Tender Quick. You want more smoke flavor in you meat, I would suggest leaving it unwrapped in the cooker for a longer period of time and do keep the smoke available and it should help with the results.

Smoke doesn't penetrate your meat very deeply...in most cases, less than 1/4 of an inch and you are only adding smoke to the outside of your product.

Dave

Absolutely true.

Briskets, pork shoulders, and "roast" cuts of any kind will not pick up a lot of (or any) smoke flavor in the deep muscle portions and smokiness will usually be confied to the bark or outer portions.  Imparting smoke flavor to an individual serving then becomes slicing, pulling, chopping or whatever to combine smoky bits with less smoky ones.  If you have the time and inclination, there is a way to "deep smoke" large cuts.

While the exact temperature at which these cuts cease to absorb smoke is arguable (I've seen lots of articles from food scientists and they don't agree, either) the effect does take place and can be impeded further by rubs and slathers.  To the rescue comes the old standby "reverse sear" that I love to use on steaks, but that will also work on roasts of all kinds.

Apply no rubs or slathers or, at least, minimal amounts if you must.  "Cool Smoke" your hunk of critter for at least one hour and preferably two using a smoke generator or cooker capable of relatively intense smoke production in the 150 degree range or lower.  It is a good idea to limit this time for food safety reasons since the meat will spend some time "in the zone" but a short while there isn't dangerous.

After this "cool smoke session" you can intensify the smokiness by wrapping the hunk tightly in plastic and refrigerating for a while (overnight works well).  Or, you can proceed straight to regular smoking.  If you want to add rub and slather after the cool smoke session, go ahead.  Cook "as usual" to your preferred doneness level.  Depending on the type of wood you use for the cool smoke session you'll have either light or heavy smokiness through the whole hunk.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
A dry surface will not take on as much smoke flavor as a moist surface. So oil will not be helpful in smoke adhesion as much as no oil or so other type of glue like molasses.

Also having a water pan beneath the meat will help create a moist environment for better some adhesion.

One reason for the 140F rule is the simple fact that by that time the meat has formed some type of outer bark so the smoke has less to adhere to.

Chicken takes on smoke flavor much more than beef due to it's high moisture content. So IMHO lack of moisture might have played a role in this cook.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies...I forgot to mention that I injected the pork with a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar...but that is irrelevant barbecue my MAIN objective is to get that good SMOKEY flavor into the meat.  If I'm going to use the smoker and burn some wood, I want to taste some smoke...not a lot, but enough to know the meat has been smoked.

Now, we had conflicting opinions about the temperature of the meat and its willingness to accept smoke.  I am thinking we should take a vote or conduct a poll...but that won't give us the TRUTH about it.  So, I'd like for each of you who said 140* is the magic number to list the references you used to come up with that number and those of you who said it will keep on adding smoke to do the same.  Just give the reasoning behind those numbers.

I'm just kiddin' here, folks.  But...I will take under advisement your opinions.

This is what makes my outdoor cookin' experience so much like the game of golf.  Do I use THIS club?
Last time I hit the ball 200 yards...this time it went 135 yards.  What made the difference?  One partner says, "You looked up before you hit the ball."  The other says, "You didn't release through the ball."  Another says, "You bent your left arm in the backswing." 
There are SO MANY variables that come into play, that even the pros like Mickleson and Scott often miss the fairway or the green.  They Do play pretty consistently, though, round after round.  Every now and then, the "yips" kick in and they miss hit.
Same with smokin'...SO MANY variables that even the pros I watch on TV miss the taste or tenderness part of their presentation. 
When I play golf, it is definitely not about shooting a low score - I'm just tryin' to improve on my LAST game, which may have been a 105.  And if I shoot 88, I'll really celebrate for awhile and replay every birdie and par.  But I know when I go out next time, I'll still have to deal with the "variables" again.  It isn't so much how I score - but how much I enjoy being with the other guys out there.  we're all pluggin' along tryin' to improve our game and encouraging one another from tee to green.
With my cookin', I am wanting to get to the point where I am more consistent (consistently GOOD).  There are a number of variables I CAN control...the others I'll just have to learn to deal with.
That's where you folks help me so much.
I'll "tee it up" tomorrow with hopes of having a good "round", but enjoying being at the pit either way.

If this post is too long, please contact the moderator...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
Jaxon - Great analogy!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
A dry surface will not take on as much smoke flavor as a moist surface. So oil will not be helpful in smoke adhesion as much as no oil or so other type of glue like molasses.

Also having a water pan beneath the meat will help create a moist environment for better some adhesion.

I do the water pan thing every time...Now, look...you said a dry surface will not take on as much smoke as a moist surface, but then you say put something as wet and thick as molasses on it.  That's makes me wonder if I should dry it or wet it down with dark, thick, sticky molasses.  I know the theory is that it will make the rub stick to the meat, but it just seems like it would make a wet blanket to keep smoke out.
I'm probably missing something with my little pea brain. 

B T W, I told Deb about using molasses.  She didn't ask, "how much...", she asked, "how many..."
<><

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »

I do the water pan thing every time...Now, look...you said a dry surface will not take on as much smoke as a moist surface, but then you say put something as wet and thick as molasses on it.  That's makes me wonder if I should dry it or wet it down with dark, thick, sticky molasses.  I know the theory is that it will make the rub stick to the meat, but it just seems like it would make a wet blanket to keep smoke out.
I'm probably missing something with my little pea brain. 

B T W, I told Deb about using molasses.  She didn't ask, "how much...", she asked, "how many..."

The molasses takes on smoke but the smoke flavor does not disappear. It becomes part of the bark.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
This is why you're the "hero member"...

I got to be "sr. member" just by hangin' around a long time.
<><

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »
Everyone to his own! :) ;) ... I've been using Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO for years as glue for pork, chicken and/or beef before applying rub, plastic wrap, and fridge for hours or overnight depending on the protein.  Into my MAK 2 Star with great results ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG