Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Burn it in the Back Yard with Hub!

BASIC BRISKET for the Beginner

<< < (3/10) > >>

ACW3:
I have enjoyed reading this post.  It would appear that we have several different approaches to cooking brisket.  I know that Hub has a lot of experience cooking over a pellet grill.  The other approaches are most likely from non-pellet grill cookers.  There will be differences, which is great.  That's what makes the world of que go around.

As far as backyard BBQ tasting better than competition, I would tend to agree that my home que is better than most everything I have tasted on the competiton circuit.  The competition que has a definite fixed set of parameters that they have to worki with to compete.  At home, anything goes.  No time limits.  You can pre-prep the meat if you so desire.  There are no restrictions on how you cook the meat.  There are many ways to get the flavor you desire in your final product.  No rules!!!  Just cook and enjoy.

Art

TwoPockets:
Thanks for that post Hub. I cut and pasted it for future use. I have cooked a few briskets and had mixed results. The first brisket I cooked was the best I had ever tasted, a couple were also good and a couple not so good.

Hub:

--- Quote from: smokeasaurus on March 09, 2012, 08:08:08 PM ---One thing I cant figure out is how competition que is better than backyard.

--- End quote ---

Who ever said that?  Certainly not I!  The only time I've ever observed any commentary promoting competiton as better than anything was from several friends for whom I've prepared competition style ribs.  To a person they've liked them better than restaurant style.  Since most restaurants ruin ribs (I said most, not all) then that's not much of a bragging point.

My perspective on my "BASIC" posts is to give a baseline methodology that, if followed, will produce good results (not competiton results) and provide the user a departure point to use his or her own creativity to make changes and improvements. 

The list of the 20 best restaurants in the USA has just come out and, alas, Hub's side-yard cookshack in North Carolina did not make the cut this year (but a BBQ joint in Texas did).  Also, the list of the 50 most influential people in food has been published and my name was somehow or another omitted.  These two facts being what they are, I'll have to continue to bow to the opinions of others.  One must always understand that in nature there are multiple methodologies extant descriptive of removal of epidermal tissue from a domestic feline  ;D

I had envisioned a short series of "BASIC" success almost guaranteed recipe/approach posts, the intent being to provide assistance to newbies.  However, what I forgot was that "perception is reality" and my intent got lost in my image (didn't know I had much of one, actually).  Thus, I will end this jag and find another angle as my desire to write about barbeque and assist others in the pursuit of "doing it good" continues to burn deep down in my soul.

Hub

LostArrow:
Hub , I appreciate the effort to post basic technique !
The idea being a first cook can be follow the instructions & get a good result.
I know a "recipe" is a staring point & we all alter as cooks go by!
Please keep postin them.

smokeasaurus:
Whatever you do Hub, please don't stop your 'Basic' series of posts. They are very informative,well written and very helpful to new and grizzled cooks.
We all appreciate the time and effort you put into these great tutorials.

I think I picked the wrong thread to get on my soap-box!!

I was watching a re-run of Pitmasters season 1 where this judge was talking about rib texture and he was sayin if the meat pulls off the bone with no resistance it is over-cooked and "so-backyard".....that comment kinda chapped my fanny  >:(

Please keep the 'basic' series going my friend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version