Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Burn it in the Back Yard with Hub!

BASIC BRISKET for the Beginner

<< < (2/10) > >>

smokeasaurus:
Briskets are the most challenging of cooks which also makes them the most fun to do...IMHO. I have done many briskets many different ways to varying degrees of success and I really like this tutorial you got here Hub. Appreciate the time and thought you put into it!!

P.S. It sure is nice knowing that the turtle wont argue with us LTBBQ members over prime rib or brisket  ;D :o ;D

Ka Honu:
The following is not an argument:

Essentially, Hub, I smoke a trimmed packer low & slow (@200-225o to IT of 180-185o) without injection or foil except for (usually) FTC at the end (and usually rubbed with salt, pepper, and (maybe) garlic only).  After FTC, I separate the flat and point and often reseason/resmoke the point for chili, burnt ends, pulled brisket, etc.

As long as I pay attention and keep the environment moist (smoke over a drip pan with liquid and maybe some onions and/or peppers), it works as well as any other way I've tried and has the advantage of being so easy even I can remember how to do it.

The preceding was not an argument.

teesquare:

I think that we ALL come to the BBQ pit from a different perspective. Ka, I can appreciate that you are seeing Hub's "simple" recipe as more complex than you would think of as simple.
But - I know that Hub's thinking is from the KCBS judging experience. The taste of a competition - even for a beginner- brisket is going to be more detailed than a lot of us would think of as simple. And, that may influence Hub's opinion.

Just as your opinion, I am guessing - is influenced by being able to use only 2 or 3 ingredients, that based on your experience - will give you desired results.

smokeasaurus:
Sometimes simple can be better.
One thing I cant figure out is how competition que is better than backyard. Since you cant do anything to your meat until after it is inspected one would think that the backyard cook has an edge. We can prep our meat as far ahead as possible whether it being rubbed or brined or marinated. We can either layer flavors or keep it simple like the turtle does. I bet Ka Honu's brisket tastes like brisket!!!!! 8)

IMHO...I think my backyard Que is far better than competition Que. ;D

teesquare:
The time advantage certainly favors backyard cooking. But competition teaches you to be creative, and forces you to understand the forces that influence the quality of the end product in a manner that backyard cooking does not.

Example:

You want the meat to have the flavor of your rub penetrate all the way thru. No problem, vacuum pack the rubbed meat, and put it in the fridge for2-3 days. Can't do that in a comp......

There are other examples - but suffice it to say that competitions forces you to understand better how chemistry, temperature, finished appearance, and the  specifics of the piece of meat itself interplay to create the desired results, because WINNING ( ala Charlie Sheen... :P ) is the focus.
But - our goal in our backyard is different. We just want it to taste good, and be presentable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version