Author Topic: Kamodo cooker vs. WSM & Kettle  (Read 7610 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Kamodo cooker vs. WSM & Kettle
« Reply #-1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
Kamodo type cookers, WSM & kettles are variations of charcoal vertical cookers.
Heat source on bottom,heat shield for smoking , none for grilling, ability to control temp by airflow.
Differences in insulation , fire to food distance make some difference .

Kamodo's tend to be good at both grilling & smoking. Great for cold & wet weather, good for overnite unattended cooks ( May not be safe due to fire risk perform at your own risk)
Good grills for searing & roasting. Hard to smoke then sear , & 2 zone grilling .
Temp control not as stable as a WSM , lots of people add temp control fans .

WSM more of a specialty smoker-roaster, great fair weather cooker affected more by wind, rain & cold than Kamodo . Like a Kamodo will cook 12 + hours without adding fuel.
Very stable temps mine is a perfect "set & forget" cooker.
More mobile than a ceramic, in smaller sizes cood for tailgating.

The kettle is mostly a grill due to the close distance between fire & grate.
Very good grill, ability to smoke then sear & 2 zone grilling is a plus.
Able to control flareup is very good. Easy to clean . Durability good .
The classic tailgate cooker easily mobile.

So what do I use?
Well for cooks shorter than 6 hours I use my barrel cooker, I feel like I have an input & affect the cook ::) It's not as fulfilling to me to check the temp on my igrill & think oh well it's doing fine don't need to change a thing!
I usually grill on my barrel it's easier to smoke then sear ( my favorite method)
For long cooks or bad weather cooks I use my cheap a!! Kamodo , simply because it's easier to fire up & clean than a WSM.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: Kamodo cooker vs. WSM & Kettle
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »
This is a great topic. I recently acquired a Weber Kettle from Lowes because as I was limping through, I noticed that they put a display model on sale with the Rotissierie, charcoal baskets, and rapid coal starter( a one touch gold) for $75.00. However, I have also invested $150.00 in a Kettlepizza attachement, $54.00 in a pizza stone; $59.00 for a Weber BBQ Gourmet cast iron grill set with hinged sides for burning steaks and burgers; and a smoke ring designed for a WSM that I have used for direct and can be used for indirect cooks in Charcoal are of the Weber Kettle for $39.00.  So, if I had paid full price for the Weber OTG, I may as well have purchased an egg or the Steel Keg egg.

Actually, I am intrigued by the Broil King solution aka the steel keg. But then again, as I have said before, if the only difference between a Weber and an egg is much finer temperature control based upon the flow of air, then, I do not know if I want to spend money on this as the Weber gives me a nice versatility with the two Smokers that I currently have. If I had no smoker or only one smoker, then the "egg" would have the potential to provide a nice versatile solution.

To be very candid, I do not use my Yoder Pellet Smoker in any type of direct cooking effort nor have I ever used it in this manner. It has been used for slow cooking Tri Tip Sirloin (usually 2 1/2 hours) and long slow cooks of pork butts and briskets which go from 12 to 20 hours in duration depending.

Believe it or not, I purchased the Yoder Cheyenne offset wood smoker because I just wanted to learn how to use this unit and make food in a traditional manner. I enjoy fussing with the process. I mainly smoke ribs, whole chicken and some other interesting roasts that can be completed in less than 6 to 8 hours.

The Weber Kettle is the tool on which I do all of my direct heat cooks like rib eye steaks, thick cuts of top sirloin, pork chops, chicken thighs, breasts and wings. With the Rotissieri, I have done whole chickens, and pork loin roasts keeping the temperature at a steady 350 degrees by adjusting the upper and lower dampers. I learned to do this by using the offset smoker above. By adding the Kettlepizza attachment, stone, and peel, I have added another dimension, that I have never had before. And, my wife and I really like pizza.

If I want to change the Weber Kettle into a Weber Smokey Mountain, the accessories for this can be purchased from Cajun Bandit ( http://cajunbandit.com/ ) for $225 which includes the smoker conversion stack with a door, charcoal ring, cooking grate, water pan bowl and replacement legs. The other alternative that they offer is a stainless steel charcoal steel stacker, with cooking grate, heat diffuser, and charcoal ring. Also a nice alternative and very doable for $159.00. They have offered a 10 per cent military discount when I asked them for it. Shipping is additional.

The other alternative is the Smoke EZ product which also turns your Weber Kettle into a smoker. This kit for $199 and free shipping can be purchased from Firecraft ( http://www.firecraft.com/category/weber-kettle-upgrades ). The Smoke EZ turns the Kettle into a Smoker without altering the legs and adding a 22 inch smoker body, a water pan, a charcoal ring, and a hanging rack that turns the smoker into a a pit drum type of smoker. Again, another versatile solution and a reasonable alternative to other "egg" solutions.

From my perspective, I really do not have the need for another smoker. However, I do like the direct cooking aspect of the Kettle with the pizza and rotissieri options. If I ever do purchase an egg, it would be an emotional impulsive decision or something at price where I could not refuse.

Since some of the folks are picking up used Weber Kettles for $10.00 and up, the purchase of attachments in order to add the versatility they would like to achieve is very possible from either Weber or the aftermarket that Weber has created. And versatility is what the Weber Kettle does have.

Hope that this lengthy diatribe puts things into perspective. It does for me as I set up my online order from Kettlepizza for the Kettlepizza Baking Steel for 22.5 Kettle Grills for $79.00. This provides 3/16" thick round steel used to provide higher dome temperatures in your KettlePizza oven.  The steel radiates heat very rapidly and provides a very hot ceiling for getting quick crisping of the top of your pizzas. It sits between the top of the Kettlepizza and the Dome and bounces back the heat to the top of the pizza. I am just a Sucker for gadgets like this. Wait till I get my new video camera.

Ed
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:14:45 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »
Ed after reading your post I'm going to tell you this.
If you want it & you can afford it buy it ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 12:08:47 AM »
I have a few kettles and WSM's.  love them all.  I don't have a kamado.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 04:12:36 AM »
I guess when it comes down to it, I am a little prejudiced against the BGE (I should say a lot of the owners that I have come across - insert my obligatory "nobody on this forum" comment).  Other ceramics I have no real issues with.  I have cooked on them, and they are great cookers but I am not really a fan of the perceived "jack of all trades" aspect of them.  They do a lot of things well but I kind of like having different tools for different tasks.  I guess that is why I have never seriously considered a pellet pooper either.  Not saying I wouldn't gladly accept a pellet or ceramic...

The ironic part is that a lot of folks have issues with "Weber guys."  ::)  I think this group is just a little different than any of the user groups that feel the need to criticize others' units in an effort to 'pimp' their own brand.  I've said it before... plenty of guys have made plenty of food way better than mine on cookers I don't use with methods I don't use with fuel I don't use.  I'll just keep doing what I do, and I am glad to be here seeing each of you do the same.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »
Great thread L.A.!

I can understand and appreciate Ed's perspective on the Weber Kettles.

I have often said if I could only have one grill/smoker, it would definitely be my Weber Kettle. I think it's one of the most versatile grills/smokers ever made, and how it's used depends greatly upon the user.  They are a searing machine for sure, but our old Kettle has actually seen very little "grilling" action. It's been mostly indirect-low-n-slow smoking/cooking with the coals off to one side.

The classic kettle design allows amazingly even heat, even when the charcoal is off to one side.  Without any extra add-ons I can do any kind of smoking/grilling... including cold-smoking (yes, I have cold-smoked cheese, hams, etc. numerous times on our Kettle).

The number of add-ons available is staggering: charcoal rings/baskets, rotisseries, cast iron grates, Wok inserts, the "Smokenator", Stoker, WSM-style conversion kit, Pizza oven, Pellet conversion kit, attachable work table... the list goes on.

The Weber kettle body has a 10-year warranty and the dang things live forever it seems. Getting replacement parts, even for the old models, is no problem.

I say... Behold the humble Kettle!     :)

Cliff
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:32:40 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »
The nice thing about this forum is whether you are an "egg-head", a member of "Weber Nation", a traditional off-set cooker, a gas-a-holic, infrared.........it don't matter to us what type of rig you cook your grub on. Any one of us would gladly set down and enjoy a meal off of any of the above mentioned cookers and give ya a big pat on the back after we scarf down.

That is how we roll around here  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
Could not have been said better.    8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »
The nice thing about this forum is whether you are an "egg-head", a member of "Weber Nation", a traditional off-set cooker, a gas-a-holic, infrared.........

Well said, and I hope nobody takes my comments above as a downplay on other cookers, 'cause it's not meant that way. I am glad I'm not limited to just one cooker; I love my MAK, Stoven & Off-set. They each bring something unique to the BBQ experience.  But, if I was limited and could pick only one, it would be my Weber kettle.

I guess I'm a member of the "Off-set-a-Weber-MAK-a-Nation."  I just like cookin' (oh and eatin')!  8)

Cliff
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
The nice thing about this forum is whether you are an "egg-head", a member of "Weber Nation", a traditional off-set cooker, a gas-a-holic, infrared.........

Well said, and I hope nobody takes my comments above as a downplay on other cookers, 'cause it's not meant that way. I am glad I'm not limited to just one cooker; I love my MAK, Stoven & Off-set. They each bring something unique to the BBQ experience.  But, if I was limited and could pick only one, it would be my Weber kettle.

I guess I'm a member of the "Off-set-a-Weber-MAK-a-Nation."  I just like cookin' (oh and eatin')!  8)

Cliff

Sure don't think anyone did Cliff. i have lurked over at other sites and it sure is nice to cook on anything you want and not get picked on........ :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
i have lurked over at other sites and it sure is nice to cook on anything you want and not get picked on........ :)

and that's way i'm here.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
The nice thing about this forum is whether you are an "egg-head", a member of "Weber Nation", a traditional off-set cooker, a gas-a-holic, infrared.........it don't matter to us what type of rig you cook your grub on. Any one of us would gladly set down and enjoy a meal off of any of the above mentioned cookers and give ya a big pat on the back after we scarf down.

Could not have been said better.    8)
Yup what they said!

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
I agree that the Weber kettle is the ultimate cooking tool (especially for the cost of a kettle), especially in the hands of someone that has taken the time to practice and become familiar with all the functions a kettle is capable of.

Below are a few things that pushed me to get a ceramic.
- 100º to 800º+ of controllable temps.
- Suppose to be killer doing pizza at 550º to 600º.
- Wanted something other than the Yoder to cook on in North Dakota winter conditions.
- Very fuel friendly and economical, we have cooked bacon, hotdogs, ribs, burgers twice, a pork shoulder, kabobs and chicken that I can think of off the top of my head on approximately 15 lbs. of lump.
- Easy cleaning the ash, we have an ash bucket we place under the front of the BGE and just use the ash tool to sweep the ash out and into the bucket. We haven't done a full clean yet of taking it apart as they suggest only doing this about once a month if you use it often.

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »
i have lurked over at other sites and it sure is nice to cook on anything you want and not get picked on........ :)

and that's way i'm here.   8)

Ditto on that, not to mention the knowledge base found here. 
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »

Your statement embodies what is special about this forum.  When folks know one another for a while, it becomes more comfortable to "rib" one another about whose cooker is best, but typically it is all in good sport.  On many sites I have visited the impression I receive is that if you are not a long time member, then your posts do not warrant a response of some kind of acknowledgement that your posts are appreciated - this forum is the complete opposite.  I personally felt welcomed from the start, and that builds a loyalty in membership.

Although I have my favorite cookers (mostly because I cannot justify having one of everything), I can honestly say that I wish I had the time and money to have it all.