Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Cooking Equipment - Tips

Very interesting...

(1/1)

muebe:
So right now I have both my Bradley smoker smoking two butts and I have the Traeger going smoking ribs. I have both plugged into the same outlet using a power strip.

What I have found is that when the Bradley heating element is on the fan on the Traeger changes pitch slightly(slows a little). As the butts have progressed through the stall the Bradley PID is activating the heating element more often. This has caused the PID on my Traeger to work harder trying to keep the temp even(due to fan speed fluctuation). I had to re-adjust the OUTHL to compensate for this. I am seeing more swings than usual because of this but nothing to worry about. The PID is doing a pretty good job under the circumstances ;)

It is not often that I have them going at the same time but it is something to consider. Just thought I would pass the info along :)

teesquare:
Is there a way to adjust the hysteresis of the PID so that it is not cycling too much? Just thinking about gizmo durability potentials here...

muebe:

--- Quote from: teesquare on April 07, 2012, 04:44:46 PM ---Is there a way to adjust the hysteresis of the PID so that it is not cycling too much? Just thinking about gizmo durability potentials here...

--- End quote ---

There is on both but the Bradley PID has a SSR so cycling is not gonna really wear out the controller. My Traeger PID does have a mechanical relay though. I have the timing set for a minimum of two seconds on that one so there is less wear and tear on the relay.

It is back to normal now. Just coming out of the stall there is always temp fluctuation from the fats rendering and cooling down the meat.

I could always run an electrical cord from another circuit to the traeger so that I won't have this issue but as I stated I rarely have them both going at the same time ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version