Author Topic: Broil King Baron 4 burner  (Read 3740 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Broil King Baron 4 burner
« Reply #-1 on: February 04, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
 Long story started this so I'll spare you here.
 I have acquired a Broil Master Baron 4 burner grill. I hope not to have it long but since I do I thought I would check it out.

It's looks good from the start.
 Nice cook box with lots of room. Heavy enough to hold heat.
According to BK It's made in Huntington Indiana using North American steel. All of their grills are made either in the USA or Canada. 
 It was assembled at Lowe's so I don't know if there were difficulties there are not. Looks like any other box grill though.
One thing I don't like is the support bar next to the gas tank. They killed any storage that may have been there.
 Good stainless handles on doors and lid.They are big and feel very comfortable when raising the lid. They appear to be the type that will last a long time with minimal care.
It has rollers on all four feet with the added bonus of twist down feet in the front that can be used for leveling or just stabilizing.
The metal on the bottom front is thin. Do not try and lift it from down there! I almost bent it when removing it from the truck. Should have gotten help I guess. 
The four burners are large and mounted firmly front and back.  They produced good flame and had good adjustment. I tested the claim that it would reach 600 quickly and it did. (Slower the a CB Red but very exceptable time regardless).
The flavorizer plates are stainless and appear well made. Will be really easy to remove for cleaning or replacement.
 The drip pan is two pieces and I would like to see a larger catch pan or maybe a disposable foil catch pan option if I can find one that fits. There is a long runner pan and then a catch pan.   
Now, The cast iron grids are really nice. Heavy duty and are two sided. One side is sharp edged for searing  and the other is wide with a groove. Looks good for delicate foods.
 The control knobs feel nice and smooth as they should. They are clearly marked and as a plus they put a plastic ring around them with marking tabs so even if the paint wears off someone could figure out the setting. 
 The side burner looks cheap but works really well. It had very good flame adjustment compared to others I've used.
Day one I would give it 4.5 stars. Time will tell.

I followed the instructions for the break in to the letter. ( Hope no one just passed out). Twenty minutes on medium high and washed the grates off with mild soap. I seasoned the grates and let it go another ten minutes.
 I decided to cook a chicken, sweet potato and rack of ribs the first cook . Odd choice maybe but that's what I had. 
 The Sweet potato went in on the top rack and cooked for most of the entire cook time. I removed it near the end when I saw little bubbles start. * It was awesome and I don't even like them. 
 I removed the chickens back and butterflied it.
 I cooked the ribs open for the first half. Foiled for the second. ( These were Sam's Club ribs and they tend to be tough).
The grill maintained 325 well with the two outside burners at 1/4 turn from low.  Once the potato had to come off I turned on the two middle burners to finish of the chicken. I pulled it at 165 and it was very good.
I turned the grill back to low on the outside burners and let the ribs go wrapped until the were 190. 
I did have a flare up with the chicken grease once but I caught in time and it quickly burned off.   I have been spoiled with the CB Red and SRG when it comes to flare ups!...
 Over all a nice grill. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Broil King Baron 4 burner
« on: February 04, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »
Looks good from here, now get ya' some GrillGrates for it and really make it a good grill!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
Good looking cooker Terry!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:21 PM »
As long as the food looks like the last pic, you are all good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11:44 PM »
Good write up, thanks ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »
Nice looking gasser!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:02:11 AM »
Looks good from here, now get ya' some GrillGrates for it and really make it a good grill!

It blows my mind how much they'll improve the groceries from a gasser  :o

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
Well part of the longer story is that Kerry wanted to get this for her son and paid for half. When we got there we found  he had bought a Char Broil Commercial grill a month ago. Now there is a grill that needs Grill Grates really bad.  So this BK never left my truck. I think I'm going to give it to her daughter in a month on her birthday. She has a Kenmore POS that I hate having to use when we go over there. Talk about needing flame tamers!.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
Well part of the longer story is that Kerry wanted to get this for her son and paid for half. When we got there we found  he had bought a Char Broil Commercial grill a month ago. Now there is a grill that needs Grill Grates really bad.  So this BK never left my truck. I think I'm going to give it to her daughter in a month on her birthday. She has a Kenmore POS that I hate having to use when we go over there. Talk about needing flame tamers!.

You gonna be up this way Terry??
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »

Not for a little while. This is Kerry's other daughter in Mobile.(She has 3)  Maybe after this ice crap goes away we will though.. Becca is pregnant so we may go up to see her and will for sure when she has the baby.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »

Not for a little while. This is Kerry's other daughter in Mobile.(She has 3)  Maybe after this ice crap goes away we will though.. Becca is pregnant so we may go up to see her and will for sure when she has the baby.
OK good.  When your this way yell at me, we'll cook something up and yes beer will be on ice!  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »
 Well the BKB went to it's new home Saturday. Kerry's daughter always volunteers to help us with projects no matter how big or how bad the work sucks... and she loves to grill out. She cooks as good a steak now as anyone I've seen.  So I took it to her and she was very happy. 

I have a few more comments on it and this will be the last you have to hear about it maybe...  ::)
First let me say I think its a great grill and appears that it will last a long time.
 Maybe I should rewrite this as a Pros and Cons later...
Hear are a couple things I did not like.
1. The drip pan! NOBODY was thinking when they made that thing.  It is two pieces that slide under the main pan. One sends the drippings down to a catch pan that hangs from it. The pan is too small and hard to get in and out . This means you make a mess trying to empty it. Maybe a HOT mess to boot. It would have been so easy to just run the long pan right out the side and put a catch pan or bucket there. SO easy...

2. The bottom of the grill is made of very thin steel.(Only metal I have a problem with) It bends with any pressure at all. They really should support the front lip of it much better. The door hinges fit into it so if it gets bent to much  its body work time.. Yes I had to fit it when I got it to my house and again when we got it in place at Stephanie's. Good thing I have a rubber mallet.

3. This one is with most gassers and I think it may be a safety thing.  In case of flare ups are gas explosions... The back of the box and lid have much to large of a gap allowing wind to blow in freely .  Also allowing heat and smoke to exit to easily. To test , I closed this off 90% with foil and the heat stabilized very well even with a breeze.

I would still recommend it because the components of the burners , the cook box, lid and handles are very good quality for the price. I had a chance to cook on a Webber last week and it did not preform any better as far as cooking goes. About the same in fact. Costing about two bills more...