Author Topic: Steelhead candy  (Read 5033 times)

Offline fishingbouchman

Re: Steelhead candy
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »
i don't like fish but they look so good I want some.  even booked marked this. 

Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »
I missed this one. That all looks delicious and sounds great, pz! Thanks for sharing the technique.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
i don't like fish but they look so good I want some.  even booked marked this.

I've had similar salmon and it will make a fish eater out of anyone, like bacon converting a vegetarian.   :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »
Thats really a fine job. :P
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »
Looks incredible PZ - Off to Costco I go this weekend for Steelhead.  It looks like some sesame seeds too?

Thanks guys!

My son's girlfriend does not like fish either, but she was eating the steelhead like candy  :D

The sesame seeds are actually part of the marinade - Veri Veri Teriyaki, but I also use Yoshida's which is every bit as good

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Great job on the Steelhead candy PZ!!!!

Can't beat  kummok's general method in a Bradley.  I hope to meet him next time we're in Homer, Alaska  8)  8)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »
pz - any suggestions on temps and cook times for Steelhead Candy on a pellet grill that only goes down to 160 degrees?  My cold smoker is on backorder still.

Thanks!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline pz

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »
pz - any suggestions on temps and cook times for Steelhead Candy on a pellet grill that only goes down to 160 degrees?  My cold smoker is on backorder still.

Thanks!

I'm definitely no expert, and maybe one of the more experienced smoker guys will chime in.  My thought is that the gradual temperature increase helps prevent the fat rendering out on top of the fish - it looks like whitish ribbons.  Personally, I like that fat (which is good for you), but many find it objectionable from an esthetic as well as flavor aspect.  Taking a wild stab at it, if my unit only went down to 160F, then I'd do that for a couple of hours, and then ramping up to the 175F for the final hour - it is easy to fork test to see if it is done.  It should be firm and flake easily.

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »

Thanks!

I'm definitely no expert, and maybe one of the more experienced smoker guys will chime in.  My thought is that the gradual temperature increase helps prevent the fat rendering out on top of the fish - it looks like whitish ribbons.  Personally, I like that fat (which is good for you), but many find it objectionable from an esthetic as well as flavor aspect.  Taking a wild stab at it, if my unit only went down to 160F, then I'd do that for a couple of hours, and then ramping up to the 175F for the final hour - it is easy to fork test to see if it is done.  It should be firm and flake easily.

Thanks pz - I appreciate the info!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
looks Awesome PZ!!

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »