Author Topic: Beef... It's What's for Breakfast  (Read 1667 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Beef... It's What's for Breakfast
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:42:39 AM »
Busy days today and tomorrow along with some rain that can't decide if and when it's going to happen, but I haven't done a brisket in a little while.  Besides that, I am out of space in my freezer and SWMBO has limited my overage space to the top shelf of the fridge.  That's where I had a 13 lb packer living at.  So, what's a man to do?  BBQ for breakfast, that's what!  At the store last night, I saw a small tri-tip for $5.99/lb and grabbed it so that I could do a trisket along with my brisket.

Brisket went on (cooking on the offset of course) at around 6:30 last night, and the trisket a few hours later.  Sorry for the lack of progress pics.  You all know by now that I hate taking pics before the meat comes off the pit.  Plus, I was working in the dark most of the night.  Brisket wrapped in butcher paper at 4 hours (about 170 degrees) and came off after 7 hours when it probed tender.  It was around 213 internal.  Cook was really hot and really fast (between 325 and 350 for the most part).  Trisket was wrapped at the same time as the brisket, but was really stubborn and actually ended up finishing a little bit after the brisket (about 6 hours for a 2.5 lb piece of meat).  It never got past 190, but that is about where trisket stops and about where it probes right normally.  This piece simply didn't have enough marbling to climb past there.  It was delicious still.  If you like really lean brisket flat served thin sliced, you will love trisket.  Same everything, but a more robust beef flavor.  Similar to clod without having to buy a 20 pound hunk of the primal.  funny that I was just talking about stores selling tri-tip that looks more like a small chuck roast.  This was one of those.  Hard to find grain without the boomerang shape, but I managed.

Rub for the brisket was my standard brisket rub... SPOG with coffee grounds and a little bit of sugar.  Trisket was the same along with a layer of Cattleman's tri-tip rub.  On a side note, all the things folks tell you to do to ensure a good smoke ring... low cook temp, meat straight from the fridge, etc.  None of these were true on this cook, and there was no TQ used either yet somehow there is a killer ring.  An all wood cook (no charcoal even for a starter base) with post oak, pecan and mesquite did the job all by itself.

Got 2 hours of sleep before I woke up for "breakfast" and pulled the meat from FTC.

I had a little bit of excitement when I caught a split on fire preheating it on my firebox lid.  I've had them start smoldering before, but this one went up in full flame.  Luckily, I waas watching and saw it happen.  I was able to get the split into the box.  Why I don't sleep during cooks... never know what is going to happen.

Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Beef... It's What's for Breakfast
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:47:43 AM »
Nice work SB! Looks like great barkage and moisture
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Beef... It's What's for Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
Nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »
WOW that looks great
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »
That is some pretty looking beef! Nice job.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 12:59:06 PM »
Very nice!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
Both look really good!

I am a really big fan of the Trisket ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »
Muebe is the father of the trisket and you did him and all of us proud.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »
Looks Awesome SB. You guys are pushing me closer and closer to going and buying that kryovac of mega tri-tips at my local cash and carry. Of course they messed up my first paycheck with my raise on it and are going to cut me another check this Thursday.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
Man that looks fantastic ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:17:42 PM »
Looks great SB, now all you need is to hit Central Market for some butter tortillas...

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 12:07:58 AM »
Yum yum.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"