Author Topic: Bit the bullet; Now need advice  (Read 1004 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Bit the bullet; Now need advice
« Reply #-1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:19:07 AM »
So y'all got me interested in sous vide with your good looking pics. So I broke down and ordered a Dorkfood controller. It is supposed to be here tomorrow.
I have some short ribs on deck in the fridge waiting for the UPS guy to show up.

Based upon the posts I have seen on short ribs, my plan is to set the controller for 144* add the vac sealed meat when it gets to temp.  48 hrs later pull the ribs and sear them and enjoy some great beef ribs. (I may sear half before the water bath and half after to see what I like best.)
Am I missing anything or any adjustments to make?
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Bit the bullet; Now need advice
« on: June 20, 2014, 12:22:02 AM »
Sounds like you have it figured out Gus...It is very simple. Just a different approach to moisture and thus - flavor retention. Let us know what you think!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:36:51 AM »
Sounds like you got the plan all figured out, looking forward to your final results on the two types of sear methods.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 12:53:13 AM »
Congrats,cant wait to see the cook,
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »
I would give them 30 minutes to 1 hour of cold smoke before bagging. And 135F for 48 hours is good unless you like yours more done.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »
I season the meat before sealing.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
I would give them 30 minutes to 1 hour of cold smoke before bagging. And 135F for 48 hours is good unless you like yours more done.

I like M/R but also have a time constraint so 48 hrs is the longest I can do unless I wait a few more days. (I am too impatient to wait when I get a new toy cooking implement)

Thanks
for all the advice every one.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
Gus you can do 135F for 48 hours and they will come out great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »
Something I have noticed about Sous Vide that differs from traditional cooking methods: The meat color seems to be more red than we are used to in judging the doneness.

So - medium rare - stricly looking at the color - will appear to be more like a rare steak in color only. But the texture will be firm like med-rare. So, it is one of those occasions where "The eye should NOT take the first bite". :D Otherwise - you will get complaints of "It looks raw".

I have not read this anywhere yet - so it is my own presumption that when SV cooking to anything less than well done ( and if I am wrong - please correct/educate me)  we cook at such significantly lower temps, that the myoglobins (which are naturally bright red) that are present throughout the muscle are not displaced by high heat at the surface of the meat as in "grilling" - so the water/fluids/myoglobins can remain where they naturally occur in the meat.
The result is more taste and moisture retention. But the "side effect" is that because the naturally red myoglobins are not driven out of their normal dispersement throughout the meat - even a medium rare steak or roast will not have the red juices like a traditionally cooked ( hot grill )steak. The juices will be almost clear - to clear.

I say all of this because - well....the Mrs. T was a WELL DONE :-X :'( steak person when I met her...and I have slowly converted her to medium-rare. But, the first SV cooks - I had to convince her to try it - because her eyes told her that the color of the meat meant it was way under cooked. Once she took a bite or two - she was convinced tho. ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401