Author Topic: Got the box and took the "plunge"  (Read 3451 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Got the box and took the "plunge"
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 04:51:31 AM »
So glad that I get to live vicariously through you all and avoid buying any more toys.  Hopefully, I can satisfy the stick burner in some of you in the same way.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 06:48:40 AM »
So glad that I get to live vicariously through you all and avoid buying any more toys.  Hopefully, I can satisfy the stick burner in some of you in the same way.

x2
I don't think I can wait 2 days for something to cook...just a flaw in my makeup, I guess

BTW, I thought meube was making up a name for some kind of SV cooker.  I was really surprised when I saw that box.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 08:43:22 AM »
I am sure Gus is just not standing above the roaster waiting for the short ribs to finish... Right Gus? ::)

So in those 48 hours anything else can be cooked on a pellet grill, off set, Weber, or whatever to supply yourself food during the wait time of Sous Vide short ribs. Activities like work and sleep can be accomplished also.

Sometimes I like to plan a meal a few days in advance. I know it sounds crazy :P

And with Sous Vide if the meat is done but you don't have time to consume it at that moment just unplug the DSV and place the bag in the fridge. You can finish it later or even the next day just by heating it. Now that is real fast food!

Also most things do not require 48 hours. Short ribs just happen to take that long due to being such a tough cut but the wait is well worth it. Fish only takes 30 minutes. Steaks maybe a couple hours. Larger cuts might be 4 to 6 hours.

Sous Vide is just another way of cooking that I really enjoy the results from and anyone cane do it. And the Dorkfood controller makes it so easy!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
I am sure Gus is just not standing above the roaster waiting for the short ribs to finish... Right Gus? ::)

So in those 48 hours anything else can be cooked on a pellet grill, off set, Weber, or whatever to supply yourself food during the wait time of Sous Vide short ribs. Activities like work and sleep can be accomplished also.

Sometimes I like to plan a meal a few days in advance. I know it sounds crazy :P

And with Sous Vide if the meat is done but you don't have time to consume it at that moment just unplug the DSV and place the bag in the fridge. You can finish it later or even the next day just by heating it. Now that is real fast food!

Also most things do not require 48 hours. Short ribs just happen to take that long due to being such a tough cut but the wait is well worth it. Fish only takes 30 minutes. Steaks maybe a couple hours. Larger cuts might be 4 to 6 hours.

Sous Vide is just another way of cooking that I really enjoy the results from and anyone cane do it. And the Dorkfood controller makes it so easy!

All points spot on.
Since joining here, I'm considering a second SV set up, just for those occasions when a different temp is needed as for vegetables (potatoes in duck fat!)
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
To me SV is a lot like low and slow on any grill/smoker or like cooking in a crockpot.   There is no rushing it, you set it and forget it while doing other things.  When a brisket is in the smoker for 14-18 hours other meals are being cooked during that time too, the same with SV.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »
Yup,first cook Mrs was blown away.Same story with the PBC,when it makes outstanding foods from old ingredients youve always used,its a winner for sure.

Heck yeah I love stick burners!!!!I cooked daily,for years,on nothing but a hole in the ground,a rock rim,a grill top and twigs while I was a starving student living in the desert.Just from small wood pieces I could pick up.Hot and fast flame cooked steak,yumm!!!!!!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »

In fact after I threw the short ribs in the cooker, I made some sausage for today. Today I went to the state park campground where Tommie is staying this week. We had what I'll call the First North Alabama Smokeout. (Tommie will post pics soon.)

When a lot of you first starting talking about SV cooking, I also questioned the time. Then like you said, it is not like I am sitting there watching it the whole time.
Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow when it will be done.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline spuds

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »
Welcome to "Dork World"!  You are going to love the results.

Art
Stepped over to the Dork Side. ::)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline airberryblue

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 08:26:25 PM »
Reading all the SV posts on here make me want to give this a shot.  I been using sealed bags with a chicken breast and different spices as quick meals for sometime now.  On nights I work late I pull the bag out of the freeze and boil it while grabbing a shower.  So now I see there is a better way to do the same thing I have been doing.  From this site and others I can see other benefits beyond my chicken breast meals so I am excited.  I have done my share of pressure cooking and also pressure frying (using a Wearever "Chicken Bucket" pressure fryer), so the concept for this type of cooking just makes sense to me.  That all being said, I think I will wait for the new Anova units coming out later this summer, I like the idea of using my phone to monitor the process.  Just wondering how well the dorkfood units would work with a cooloer and one of those 110V coffee warmers? 

Offline spuds

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
I'd just use a crock pot or turkey roaster,made for the job pretty much,no point in re inventing the wheel here when proven cheap solutions exist.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »
I'd just use a crock pot or turkey roaster,made for the job pretty much,no point in re inventing the wheel here when proven cheap solutions exist.

What Spuds said...You probably already have an analog ( knob adjustable ) crock pot - so why not use it?

As well - the only concern that I have about any of the designs where the actual controller sits IN the hot water bath is the potential of failure. If you have ever owned a boat - then you understand that much of the cost in the long term ownership is in maintaining the seals and moving parts that come in contact with the water. In this case - you have electronics.....THe Dork foods model is simple: very tight temp control - and nothing in the water that could kill the unit, short out etc. Only the temp probe - which would be replaceable should it ever fail, and a cheap replacement at that....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401