Author Topic: 2nd Round with PBC - Chicken  (Read 6924 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: 2nd Round with PBC - Chicken
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »
I have tried different starting methods, but I have found lighter fluid the best for me.

X2

X3

I don't know why there is such a prejudice against using charcoal lighter but I'm guessing it gets linked with the "creosote" taste often found in oversmoked meat.  Properly used, good quality lighter leaves no flavor whatsoever behind.  I've never lit my PBC any other way.  I use a relatively small amount (probably about 1/8th of the can), let is soak in for three or four minutes, light it, and let it burn for the recommended 20 minutes before I hang the groceries.  By the time I put the lid on, there's no lingering aroma of the lighter and all of the coals are burning, not just part of them.  I've never had any flavor oddities and everything has always cooked in pretty much the time given in Noah's videos. 

Hub

The Hub is my bub on this. I have used lighter fluid (always Kingsford) for over 30 years PBC, Weber Kettle, CB Kettle, hibachis, etc...) - never had an "off taste." I am NOT a super taster, but just an average guy and it has always worked for me. I would NEVER throw stones at anyone that says they taste something bad - I just never have...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
I have tried different starting methods, but I have found lighter fluid the best for me.

X2

X3

I don't know why there is such a prejudice against using charcoal lighter but I'm guessing it gets linked with the "creosote" taste often found in oversmoked meat.  Properly used, good quality lighter leaves no flavor whatsoever behind.  I've never lit my PBC any other way.  I use a relatively small amount (probably about 1/8th of the can), let is soak in for three or four minutes, light it, and let it burn for the recommended 20 minutes before I hang the groceries.  By the time I put the lid on, there's no lingering aroma of the lighter and all of the coals are burning, not just part of them.  I've never had any flavor oddities and everything has always cooked in pretty much the time given in Noah's videos. 

Hub

Agree wholeheartedly Hub! Never have had an after taste of lighter fluid. Plus if you wait the allocated time all the coals are red hot and ready.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »
I have nothing against lighter fluid and used it all the time when I lived with my parents.  My mom hated when my dad used it because I think he used too much or let them soak too long before lighting them.  I like the chimney because I never have to remember to get more fuel, but I use the lighter fluid in my Jumbo Joe here and there. 

I do think people have had better success with the lighter fluid method based on pictures, and because it lights all of the coal where the chimney is a little more concentrated in spreading the coals and lit ones.

*** Side note: Wife wants ribs and wings on Sunday (Stillers on at 425p ET :) , Iggles on SNF :/ ).  I do a different starting process to keep the barrel low and slow for my ribs, sorry I won't be able to give you a picture slide show this time***
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 05:07:09 PM »
I don't have a PBC, but I have seen many pics here. I think HOS is right on, not enough lit coals. Most pics here show the top coals completely ashed over, you have a lot of unlit coals.
You got nice color on that bird
Yup,get all the coals ashed over that you can see,then start cooking.I am adverse to lighting fluid myself,and you can get the coals lit fine without it,I use a hefty load of coals but its just what finally worked for me.It takes Im guessing 45 minutes for me to get coals right before cooking.I put about 3/4 of a large chimney to cover the coals in pan.

Not having all ashed over was a big point in all my fails,and the altitude cooking requires me to leave out a rebar for high temps(+ - 350F),and with both bars in I definitely need to crack lid.

I went thru exactly what you are going thru getting temps to maintain.I have full vent open too at 5000 feet.

The perfect upgrade IMO is a decent lid vent from factory.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:19:27 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
Well... I am gonna offer a 3rd position on lighter fluid. If you like it - use it. If you can taste or smell it, or just don't want to use it - don't. But, allow for the following reasoning to "marinade" in you head a bit ( see...see what I did there..."marinade"... :D)

Tho we are all humans ( well.. most of us anyway ;D ) we should allow for the recognition that variations exist in our senses. Some of us are colorblind. Some deaf. Some have exceptional hearing. Some folks have vision so good they can see the stitching on a fastball approaching at 80+ m.ph. And these are not "exceptional humans", they merely have one sense that is "out of the normal range".

And - the same is true of tasting. It is not about "better" or "worse" - it is about difference in sensitivity to certain aromas and tastes. There are plenty of medical studies that show us that these variables exist, and - petroleum distillates may be one of the categories that some folks can smellier taste...and some cannot.

I will use two examples of other anomalies similar to this: Asparagus.....Research has shown that perhaps 50% of people smell a distinct odor when they urinate after consuming asparagus - and 50% do not. Why? That is where it get complicated - but the simple answer is, that there exists a myriad of differences between each of us - that are part of why we are "individuals" :)

And - ever notice that when men get together in mixed company and they want to ell a dirty joke, or secret to another man - they talk in a very low, quiet tone - yet women inherently whisper in a high pitch? Why? Because - thru testing, it has ben shown hat men do not hear those upper register sounds as well - just as women don her those very low ones as well. Differences in the sexes. ( Like we needed more??? 8) )

So - I don't use lighter fluid. But it is because mostly, I am a cheapskate ;D and the newspaper underneath chimney works well for me.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »

So - I don't use lighter fluid. But it is because mostly, I am a cheapskate ;D and the newspaper underneath chimney works well for me.
LOL,thats me,plus Im a closet hippy and petrol and food bums out my anti chemical senses.But Like Tim,if you do it,I support your choice fully.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »
Double post,oops

Offline spuds

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »
WTH,why am I double posting??

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 05:42:48 PM »
WTH,why am I double posting??

Because you are a goofball - just like my puppy dog...  ::) ::)

I agree with you, Tim and everyone else that has an opinion. I would never seek to tell someone how to light their fire (talking of hippies...) - do what works for you. Yes, I like fluid (probably kinda lazy) and have never found a bad taste unless I try to cook too soon... It is all fun and to me that is the point.

Cheers,

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
Yep. I think there are many ways to achieve our individual BBQ Nirvana ;D.....And, however we get the 'coals right - is a good way! I want to play with one of the Looft Lighters....Keep forgetting about them ::)

Link HERE:  http://www.looftlighter.com
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 07:19:41 PM »
If you find the temp dropping simply crack the lid for 10 minutes to recover the coals.

I always use a full basket of lit coals no matter what I am cooking.

And no offense to anyone meant but the majority of difficulties I see on here with the PBC is when people start using the cooker with the charcoal starter method. There is more of a learning curve with that method IMHO than the lighter fluid method. I am not saying the other method does not work just much more difficult to get right.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:28:44 PM by teesquare »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »
I did not mean to hit the "edit" on your post - I meant to respond to it...sorry muebe :)

I think that lighter fluid is the most common, and because of that, easiest of the methods. And there are some folks that like to use the Weber  Fire Starter Cubes as well, tho I have not tried them yet. http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/tools/1324

We tend to stick with what works for us. Nothing wrong with that - it is comforting. But...we also do not learn anything new in that part of the process either. So I try to become proficient with 2 or three ways to do everything connected with cooking. This way - if you are short on anything - or for any reason you need to - you have a fallback position, that will work for you, and it will not be a source of frustration if you have practiced it before.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »
Yep. I think there are many ways to achieve our individual BBQ Nirvana ;D.....And, however we get the 'coals right - is a good way! I want to play with one of the Looft Lighters....Keep forgetting about them ::)

Link HERE:  http://www.looftlighter.com

That's neat! I might have to look into that.
I'm a "avoid the charcoal lighter at all costs guy" too!
But.....I do have a can in the garage for emergencies!

Oh I'm a tried and true old hippie like Spuds, just not the closet type! :D

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »
And there is another way to get your coals raging hot. Tee showed me this trick at Jaxon's a few months ago. Light one 3/4 large chimney and get it going. Not completely
ashed over but enough that it is really hot. Put the first chimney in the PBC and let it get burning until it is almost white. While this is happening light another chimney of
coals and once they are hot and burning good pour this on top of the ones already in the PBC. Now you are ready to hang whatever you are cooking. This keeps the
temperatures extremely high (350 plus) which is great for chicken. It is a little more work but it does help with needing a hot chicken fire.

Just another way to get it done!  ;)  But MY personal preference is the lighter fluid method. Just figured I'd toss this out there for another idea.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline rickmort

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 09:03:30 PM »
I step away for a day and I have 10 new posts to read.   LOL!

All excellent info and appreciated.  I am not a fan of the fluid light, mainly because I have ruined good meats that way in the past, years and years ago with over saturation, or not letting it burn long enough.  That obviously not a knock on the fluid method, but me.  I can be taught new tricks though. 

I will definitely be tweaking my methods over the next few or more cooks, or maybe just purchase a looftlighter.  that things is pretty cool!  I wonder if anyone on here has one.