Author Topic: Mayo?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Mayo?
« Reply #-1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
Has anyone tried mayo base then add rub when cooking chicken on the PBC? Depending on softball practice, I might try this tonight. But, if you have any suggestions - let me know.
Thanks!
David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Mayo?
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:08:17 PM »
David,,if mayo is egg and oil with a pinch of salt..you should be able to add almost anything..just saying. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Pam, I agree - not worried about the rub - just wondered if any of the PBC'ers have tried it in that cooker with its unique temp profile. I am guessing it should work well and looking forward to trying it.

Thanks!

D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Sam3

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
David, you should be fine. I've cooked chicken with Mayo in my CB BEESR on 15 setting, and on the Weber Platinum and the MAK 1 Star @375ish.

Looking forward to the pics!!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pappymn

Mayo?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »
Don't have a PBC. but I did mayo chicken the other night. Kind of made a compound mayo, and went over and under the skin. Just crazy moist!

Good luck sir!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
The one time I tried Mayo, I mixed the rub into the mayo first then applied to the bird. Both on top and under the skin.

Flavour was real good but the skin did not crisp up nice. I need to keep trying.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »
Has anyone tried mayo base then add rub when cooking chicken on the PBC? Depending on softball practice, I might try this tonight. But, if you have any suggestions - let me know.
Thanks!
David

Just saw this, how did it turn out? We've used mayo on the cedar plank salmon and it was great! Haven't used it on the chicken I'm curious to know :) - Amber

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 02:42:48 AM »
mayo is the next hot thing.  Was listening to the BBQ central radio show and they were talking about Kewpie Mayonnaise (Japanese mayonnaise) .  Anyone try that.  They say it is better than the normal best food's stuff. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:20:10 AM »
I haven't used mayo on chicken on my PBC, yet.  I have, however, used mayo on boneless, skinless chicken breasts on my MAK.  I mixed the rub into the mayo.  WorKed great.  It helped keep the chicken moist.  Mix a little parm with the mayo.  This kind of creates it's own crust.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:46:16 AM »
Thanks!
David

Just saw this, how did it turn out? We've used mayo on the cedar plank salmon and it was great! Haven't used it on the chicken I'm curious to know :) - Amber

Unfortunately, practice went late and I didn't get the chance to try it last night. We're leaving for Lake of the Woods today, so I won't get a chance till next week...  :( Thanks for all the input from everyone. I WILL be trying this when we get back next week, and will post results and pictures.

Have a safe and reflective Memorial Day, everyone.

David
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
The one time I tried Mayo, I mixed the rub into the mayo first then applied to the bird. Both on top and under the skin.

Flavour was real good but the skin did not crisp up nice. I need to keep trying.

I swear by the mayo on the outside combined with high heat for crispy skin. But I've not tried it under the skin.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68