Author Topic: PBC Trisket  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Sam3

PBC Trisket
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »
I'll be right over.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: PBC Trisket
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
When I get home I'll have to defrost the tri-tip in the freezer and try it.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
PBC Trisket
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »
Smokehouse is an old school steak house in Burbank, right next to the Warner Brother's Studio. It used to be the hangout of Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and the such.

They use Kraft Mac and Cheese mix with butter and Parmesan cheese for their bread. They won't say their exact recipe, but I think we have it pretty close. They sell the same bread at the De Bell Golf Course. You can pick up orders of the bread to go at either place.

I love Clearmans too. It's a staple at the firehouse. I've been to North woods inn a free times. It's the only place with snow on the roof year round in so cal. I don't know how they do it ;)

Eric care to post your version of the bread recipe...

Dun did. It's in the recipe section. It's a very rough version.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 12:52:42 AM »
 :P  :P  :P :P :P
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 04:29:32 AM »
Funny how things go with that thing coming to temp so quick.  Looks great!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »
How did you like the Pit Barrel Trisket compared to the Triskets you have done in your Memphis?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »
DAYUMM!!  Mike, that looks mouth watering good! 

Now I have got to go get some tri-tip.  It appears my freezer doesn't have any hidden away.  Need to call the butcher shop and see if they have any available.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »
How did you like the Pit Barrel Trisket compared to the Triskets you have done in your Memphis?

It was really good. Just not as tender as the ones from my Memphis or PTG if you can believe that looking at the pics. I think this is just due to the higher cooking temps I had the time. The first 20 minutes the PBC was over 400F and then dropped to 340F and did not settle down to 300F until close to the end of the cook. This is a great temp for chicken and hot & fast 138F internal temp Tri-tip but too hot for low & slow.

I filled the tray up with level coals and lit using the lighting procedure with lighter fluid. I waited 20 minutes until the coals ashed over. Then put it in the cooker with the grate. The PBC just might cook too hot to make a proper Trisket IMHO.

Again it was really good. If I had never tasted the low and slow pellet cooked Trisket I would be raving about this version.

The PBC is a power cooker. It did it's job. And did a pretty good job too. I honestly expected it to be like shoe leather when cooked that hot and fast to 200F internal temp. I was pleasantly surprised to find how good it turned out ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

PBC Trisket
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »

It was really good. Just not as tender as the ones from my Memphis or PTG if you can believe that looking at the pics. I think this is just due to the higher cooking temps I had the time. The first 20 minutes the PBC was over 400F and then dropped to 340F and did not settle down to 300F until close to the end of the cook. This is a great temp for chicken and hot & fast 138F internal temp Tri-tip but too hot for low & slow.

I filled the tray up with level coals and lit using the lighting procedure with lighter fluid. I waited 20 minutes until the coals ashed over. Then put it in the cooker with the grate. The PBC just might cook too hot to make a proper Trisket IMHO.

Again it was really good. If I had never tasted the low and slow pellet cooked Trisket I would be raving about this version.

The PBC is a power cooker. It did it's job. And did a pretty good job too. I honestly expected it to be like shoe leather when cooked that hot and fast to 200F internal temp. I was pleasantly surprised to find how good it turned out ;)

Might still be too soon to be saying shoe leather....still have it in my fridge ??? ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »
Pappy put that Tri-Tip in your MAK at 225F until the IT hits 150F then foil it, bump up the pellet boss to 260F until the IT hits 195F to 200F. Let it rest for an hour before slicing across the grain. The whole cook should take around 5 1/2 hours.

Trust me! You will love it ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
PBC Trisket
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
Fantastic cook Mike! 

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 02:30:01 PM »
Now, I know what a trisket is!  Great job,  but kimmie would never eat it,. to raw for her  ??? 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »
Now, I know what a trisket is!  Great job,  but kimmie would never eat it,. to raw for her  ???

It is cooked to 200F and there is no red at all except for the smoke ring. I suppose you could grill the slices  ???
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »

It is cooked to 200F and there is no red at all except for the smoke ring. I suppose you could grill the slices  ???
You mean burn them  ::)   :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 05:01:28 PM »
Sorry, Pappy - Muebe has convinced me. Doing a trisket on the PBC this weekend (if it doesn't snow...)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #