Author Topic: Hogs saved from the brink...or, eat them to save them?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
Hogs saved from the brink...or, eat them to save them?
« Reply #-1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
Greeting our new member LooperDolly made me think about an article I read recently in the paper about a hog species that was thought to be extinct but was saved by a single farm in Georgia.  I find it astonishing that the population of an entire species can be gone in the blink of an eye, relatively speaking.  It appears to be the last lard hog left.

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/05/02/unity_college_high_on_the_hogs_/
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Hogs saved from the brink...or, eat them to save them?
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »
Great article!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »
It is a great article and very interesting about the "lost breed." The other interesting thing mentioned is that the college produces its own food. That would be an interesting model to expand through the US.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »
It is a great article and very interesting about the "lost breed." The other interesting thing mentioned is that the college produces its own food. That would be an interesting model to expand through the US.

Agreed....Every college/university should have an agricultural dept. The additional degrees in food service, farm management, bio-tech research, energy recovery....the list could go on forever. Even if as a compromise - a group of schools could pool resources in order to fund this kind of money saving/revenue generating dept. and it's numerous applicable curricula
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »
Great article.  Mmmmmmm......fattier hogs. ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
Great article!
X1000!!!! A juicy pork,love it!!!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
Good read.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »
Makes sense,back in the day Lard was a much needed product,times changed,more profit in meat than fat,USDA guidelines were instituted.....I would love a lard filled pig. 8) :P
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
Great article. 

I heard about some college that raises the majority of its own fruit, vegetables, and meat.  The work is done by the students. All students are required to work at least 16 hours a week at the college and they pay no tuition.  What a great concept.
Can you imagine that implemented at Yale, Harvard, and Princeton not to mention UC Berkley?

The vet school at Auburn has a similar program for their dental school...they get to work on the teeth of the Auburn cheerleaders who graze on that astroturf.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
Great article. 

I heard about some college that raises the majority of its own fruit, vegetables, and meat.  The work is done by the students. All students are required to work at least 16 hours a week at the college and they pay no tuition.  What a great concept.
Can you imagine that implemented at Yale, Harvard, and Princeton not to mention UC Berkley?

The vet school at Auburn has a similar program for their dental school...they get to work on the teeth of the Auburn cheerleaders who graze on that astroturf.

Dee

College of the Ozarks. Read an article on them a couple of months ago.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 02:24:42 PM »

Dee

:) :) :)
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

Dee

:) :) :)

Ouch!......  ;) ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »
Quote from: Maine’s Unity College becomes haven for rare guinea hogs

"Once we got them we just found them delightful,” she said. “I mean they’re still pigs, like pigs that you have in your yard, and we feel it’s important to use them for food because if they don’t become valued as a food source people won’t keep breeding them. That’s the best way to save them, is to help people want to use them for food."

Take that PETA ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline LOOPERDOLLY

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
Thanks for posting this article. I apologize for not seeing it right away - I'm still learning my way around the forum and the nifty buttons such as "how unread posts since last visit". 

I visited the good folks at the Livestock Conservancy last year (South Carolina) with my family. I was impressed to see so many folks working together to revive several critically endangered breeds of heritage livestock.  In order to save the breed, efforts are made to locate individual animals who have the best traits (large litters, good conformation (personality), size and shape for their purpose, etc), breed them and then start the process again. they commonly teach the participating farmers to "breed the best and eat the rest". similar to the point of your article.

I see that the Livestock Conservancy will conduct it's annual National Conference in Austin, TX this year. Maybe it's time for a roadtrip from Minnesota. I hear they have good bbq in texas :)
Looper Dolly
Hog Farmer
Pork Producer
Meat biased Omnivore

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
Quote from: Maine’s Unity College becomes haven for rare guinea hogs

"Once we got them we just found them delightful,” she said. “I mean they’re still pigs, like pigs that you have in your yard, and we feel it’s important to use them for food because if they don’t become valued as a food source people won’t keep breeding them. That’s the best way to save them, is to help people want to use them for food."

Take that PETA ! ! !

BD

People Eating Tasty Animals :) ;) :D ;D :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)