Author Topic: Upgrading tail lights on my Jeep with LED bulbs  (Read 1562 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Upgrading tail lights on my Jeep with LED bulbs
« Reply #-1 on: July 31, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
Working on cars,guess its a hobby.Here is something for your older vehicle that you might find useful.Im looking at these,and with the dim bulbs that are almost un see-able in bright light,something needs to be done,supposedly these are plug and play workable

--------------------------------------------
From Amazon

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10, would buy again., April 28, 2014
By
shb23 (Tacompton, WA) - See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: JDM ASTAR 800 Lumens Super Bright AX-2835 Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs For Brake Lights Tail lights Turn Signal, Brilliant Red

Loving these bulbs. They are the brightest I have seen, a great, brilliant red. They fit perfectly and work flawlessly, and they are far brighter than the standard incandescent bulbs that have been used historically. Additionally, if you use these for brakelight bulbs, you don't have to worry about load resistors or a new fuse relay, they are pure plug-n-play.
Will eventually replace the bulbs in the other 2 vehicles we own.

------------------------------------------

http://smile.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-AX-2835-Chipsets-Brilliant/dp/B00HJEGQQ2/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1406415665&sr=1-4&keywords=jdm+astar+1157

Im going LED  in rear , Im also reading LED flasher units are now available for about 20 bucks.
------------------------------

It is plug and play and bulbs work great,I will finish up thread with pics tonight,I think its a good fix.

Stock running lights in sun

Lights off .Cant even tell a difference between these first 2 photos in the sun

Wasnt quite as bright sun in this pic,but still its a NOTABLE improvement

Lights with LED running on

LED with brakes

------------------------
Re: LED replacement bulb?

I had a motorist stop me on the street and tell me he could BARELY tell I had rear light bulbs,in full desert sun.What started my journey,safety and lights are a big issue with me.

So the upshot.Pics arent the greatest but these NEW LED's are much more visible.Difference between running and brake,turn isnt that much in sunlight when running lights are on,but they really pop in sun when running lights off.

Plenty contrast between brake and turn with running lights on at night.That yellow in bulbs is how camera see's them,they are a NICE full red.

I was able to use the stock 552 flasher but wasnt sure if it ran a little faster with LED,they did NOT hyperflash,but to be sure I went and bought the blue LED electronic flasher for 21 bucks at Carquest and installed,no difference at all ,same speed as the stock 552 flasher.

Soooo,plug and play,and much brighter,Im sold that this is a very good light enhancement.

Im a flashlight-ohlic,so into LED,bearing in mind im no expert but have a LOT of LED's.

LED tech advances by leaps and bounds,a 2 year old LED is dinosaur tech to a recent release,model changes and improvements are FAST and constant.

IMO this is a real winner and this bulb is all its cracked up to be in the reviews.I went thru searching a billion bulbs before I found this model with great reviews.

Try these if your lights are substandard,I know Im VERY pleased.
=====================
2 bulbs per order,Delivered in 4 days from amazon.Hard to beat for 22 bucks for visible tail lights..

Item(s) Subtotal: $16.99
Shipping & Handling: $2.99
-----
Total before tax: $19.98
Sales Tax: $1.80
-----
Total for This Shipment: $21.78

1967 Commando,225,auto
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:48:30 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Upgrading tail lights on my Jeep with LED bulbs
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:38:25 AM »
Nice work.  Safety first!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »
Good thinking, but if you were do try this in a new car or at least an Acura or Honda you would cause issues with turn signals, lights (warnings) and if you towed with it trailer light malfunctions  ???

Yep old cars are much better than these newer ones.     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline spuds

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »
Good thinking, but if you were do try this in a new car or at least an Acura or Honda you would cause issues with turn signals, lights (warnings) and if you towed with it trailer light malfunctions  ???

Yep old cars are much better than these newer ones.   
Heard CANBUS can be a real headache.Our last new car was a 2001 Jetta,electronic nightmare.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:29:48 PM »
Nice work, spuds  ;)

We just retrofitted LED bulbs in our fifth wheel - much less power consumption, and way cooler, which is an issue for us when we travel in hot weather

Offline spuds

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:41 PM »
Nice work, spuds  ;)

We just retrofitted LED bulbs in our fifth wheel - much less power consumption, and way cooler, which is an issue for us when we travel in hot weather
They really are the best,in our house but for a couple CFL's they are all Cree or Phillips LED,I really like them too..... a lot.And at less than 10 dollars a bulb...... ;) 8)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »
Love those LED's, first thing I did to my Harley when I bought it was add LED brake lights.  When I apply brakes on the motorcycle I want people behind me to see that I'm slowing down.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »
Got pulled over last night,no right rear running light,off with a verbal warning "But I just upgraded to led's about a week ago Ossifer" :'(.

Turns out the circuit runs thru license plate lamp,that wire broken.

Fixed today,sure glad it wasnt the bulb.

Offline Northshore

Upgrading tail lights on my Jeep with LED bulbs
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
If you live in area that frequently gets snow or ice, keep a brush handy and check the lights. No heat no melting of snow/ice coating
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 11:44:23 PM »
Got pulled over last night,no right rear running light,off with a verbal warning "But I just upgraded to led's about a week ago Ossifer" :'(.

Turns out the circuit runs thru license plate lamp,that wire broken.

Fixed today,sure glad it wasnt the bulb.

That reminds me of the original LEDs that I installed in the fiver - purchased 15 of them and replaced nearly all of the incandescent bulbs in the rig.  We went on the long trip earlier this summer and we first saw one bulb become bright, then POOF! if blew.  When I checked it, the LEDs themselves appeared burnt, and the end of the unit was discolored.  As I continued, another bulb did the same thing!  Off they go, and when I checked, at least half of the 15 were discolored.

The next day I called my RV place and told them of my dissatisfaction - they  offered to take them back, but we were already on the trip - luckily I still had the incandescents to put back.

After returning home and doing research with the RV place, we discovered that the LED would work to a maximum of 14 volts - my trailer sometimes sits at 13.6 v, likely higher at times, so the bulbs blew.  The RV place replaced all 15 with different bulbs rated to 30 volts.