Author Topic: Fall Gathering 2014 - It has Begun! UPDATED 9/27/2014  (Read 83853 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Fall Gathering 2014 - It has Begun! UPDATED 9/27/2014
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
Yeah...I have already doubled up on "dietary fiber" (READ: sticks and twigs...), installed a seat belt on the "throne"...a 4" thick foam rubber pad on the ceiling above it, and bought a crash helmet....the latter 2 items are in case the seat belt fails..... ;D ??? ::)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
I just got back home about 5:30 A.M. this morning and WOW,  what a great time I had!

I got to see and hang with the gang. I got to meet Old Dave, his lovely wife Jan, and their Dachshund, Barney (what a great little guy). I got to do my share of cooking, and even with my food allergies/sensitivities...  I still ate WAY MORE than enough!

Just a few food highlights for me where:

- Mike's pulled pork. OH MY WORD... I kid you not, it was fan-freaking-tastic!!!

- Pam's Greek Pasta Salad:   Now I am NOT a pasta salad fan, but she made me a bowlful, I took one or two bites... and couldn't stop eating it. It was the best pasta salad I have ever had!

- Tommy's baked steak & potatoes - this just flat out tasted good!

- Terry & Chris'  grilled Big Red shrimp - These things were huge and almost lobster-like. Some of the best shrimp I have ever eaten.

Dee, Thank you, sir, for putting this together again this year.  You are a true gentleman!

Mike, Thank you for all your endless work taking the many, many photos and posting live updates as things unfolded.

Don, Thanks for being our unofficial videographer once again. I can't wait to see the video.

And thanks to everyone who was there, for the great time!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:31:40 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
Another nice get together with good friends and food.

Nice
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline bczajka

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
Thank you for inviting me and letting me hang out and sample everything! Big special thanks to Jan and Dave for not beating me with one of the 12 rib bones that I devoured, BEST RIBS ever! Had a great time with everyone, especially having the opportunity to hang out with my Father in Law Dee for a week, that alone is everything, he truly is the greatest and I am fortunate to be able to call him my father in law! It was great to be able to hang out longer than a few hours this go around and spend time with Don, loved your brisket and talks, keep the chair, LOL, Mike and son John, loved all of the food and the pics are incredible, Pam, goes without saying just awesome! Cliff, incredible how much information one man knows, thanks for the tutorial on the MAK! Terry and Chris, the Oysters and Boil were just plain awesome and I enjoyed talking with Chris about cooking, Tim - I really enjoyed talking with you and beyond the cooking, really great to just talk about food(Flat Iron Steaks incredible), grills and ... Art I am glad that you didn't forget to bring me my cheesecake bites and it was great to fire up our UUNI's and bake some pizzas! Tommy I am very glad that you were able to make it out and be here I know its tough but I really enjoyed seeing you again and the dishes were awesome, I need some more of those beans, real soon!
Bradley J Czajka
Regional Executive Chef

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2014, 12:04:16 AM »
Looks like an outstanding time.  When we doing one on the west coast

I'm in.... I realize I'm still a newbie here, but let's see if we can pull something together on the west coast for next year !

Chris
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »
Brad, it was great getting to meet you this year.  I can see why Dee is proud to call you his Son in Law!

Those pizzas were great. Thanks to both you and Art for bringing your Unis!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »
Looks like an absolutely awesome time was had by all.  One of these years I will make it out.  Any time y'all want to move this gathering to North Texas though...  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
Looks like an absolutely awesome time was had by all.  One of these years I will make it out.  Any time y'all want to move this gathering to North Texas though...  :D

Don't wait to come to the Fall Gathering in Augusta, plan one for TX.  You will probably have quite a few people show up for that.  I know I am always up for a road trip.  Tee, how long will it take you to pack?

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2014, 11:04:22 AM »

Don't wait to come to the Fall Gathering in Augusta, plan one for TX.  You will probably have quite a few people show up for that.  I know I am always up for a road trip.  Tee, how long will it take you to pack?

Art

Without mentioning any site names (though there are quite a few of us who frequent both this site and that one)... We have a North Texas "bash" scheduled for October 18th.  You can sleep on my living room floor if you come.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2014, 05:19:05 PM »

Brad expressed his thoughts beautifully on last week's Fall Gathering and I concur exactly. I enjoyed spending a lot of time with everyone. I think this Gathering was the best yet, but they do get better and better every year. A big thank you to Dee for making this week happen....and I was really impressed by Dee's seminar on photo composition and posting.

I took a couple hours of video. I need to edit this down to a usable end product and especially edit out the people who threatened to sue me if I showed their faces (you know who you are and I am scared enough to honor your wishes). I am still not home yet and won't get there until next week so it will be a couple weeks before I post the video. Hope that y'all can wait.

I am going to try to meet up with RAD and Terry again this weekend on my back home....and I'll have lunch with Dee this Friday. Can't wait.

I hope we can count on you editing out certain ..."noises" that seemed to Pravin after a steady diet of meat and nothing else for most of a week.... ??? ::)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:36:51 PM by teesquare »

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »
I can only echo what Brad has said! This was one fantastic week! I know that my son John, who is normally sort of introverted, did
not stay that way too long. And I didn't have to look very far to find him. Seems wherever the food was cooking that where you would find
him.  8) He especially liked hanging with Old Dave, Jan and Barney. He is anxious to try some of the techniques that Old Dave taught him. Thank you
Dee for putting this together once again. And I am open to road trips now since I am happily retired!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2014, 06:31:14 PM »

Art

Color me there.... ;) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:09 AM »
I would like to thank Dee and his helpers and all the sponsors for making this Gathering such a great event. We had great weather, great food, held at a beautiful facility, attended by many wonderful people, and it just made for a wonderful short week of fun and enjoyment for Jan, Barney, and Myself.

We saw some old friends, made some new friends, missed some friends, but sure had a great time getting back with the Gathering group.

I learned some new skills and tried to share some skills with the folks at the event. Sure is fun to cook for people that really appreciate most of the food I cook.

This group has many wonderful cooks and everything I sampled was just great.

There was so much to eat and I didn’t get to sample everything as I was just plain stuffed for the full 4 days I spent at the event. All the food was outstanding.

Thank you folks for making our visit so enjoyable and we sure hope to come back again.

Dave, Jan, & Barney
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2014, 08:05:16 AM »

Art

Color me there.... ;) :D

You don't need to wait for a gathering Tim.  You know where to find me.