Author Topic: Simple Meatloaf with Lessons Learned  (Read 3631 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Simple Meatloaf with Lessons Learned
« Reply #-1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:54:47 AM »
I decided on meatloaf tonight and wanted it simple. I basically followed Hub’s recipe, except I had about 2
pounds of 73/27 beef instead of 90/10. I added 1 pound of my homemade Italian sausage and 2 packages
of Lipton Onion Soup mix.

Put onto the Grid Iron at 180 for the first 30 minutes for some extra smoke.  I am burning Lumberjack MHC.

Now here is where the lessons learned start! When the meatloaf reached an internal temp of 150 I decided to
kick up the Grid Iron to 350 to finish it and give it some crust.  I had been cooking it for 2 hours at 250 to 275. 
About 5 minutes after the Grid Iron reached 350 I noticed a LOT of smoke coming from it.  I walked outside and
noticed that the temperature on the digital readout was 434. I knew this wasn’t right. I opened the lid and lo
and behold the inside of the Grid Iron was on fire.  I knew I needed to change out the foil on my drip pan, but I
figured one more cook and I would do it.  The fire was so intense that it collapsed the aluminum pan that I had
my rack with the meatloaf on. I was able to pull the meatloaf out of the flames and removed the burning pan. 
The foil under the grates was still burning so I turned off the Grid Iron. Well that didn’t help until I realized that
the fan was going through it’s cool down period and keeping the fire going. I unplugged it; shut the lid and about
3 minutes later the flames were out.

I had left my frogmats on the grates from my previous jerky cook.  They were none the worse for wear.  A little
flimsier than before but they should work okay.

I am very LUCKY as when I pulled the drip pan this morning I saw this under it! Again laziness on my part!

What happened to the meatloaf? Well it actually got up to temp real fast and was not burnt on the bottom.
Actually it came out very good! I didn’t get a plated shot but I did take this photo this morning. Going to make
some good meatloaf sammies today!

I wasn’t going to even post this, but I got to thinking that there may be someone else out there that
procrastinates on cleaning their pellet grill and I sure don’t want to see this happen to anyone else. 
I did get it all cleaned up this morning, fired it up and it is purring like a kitten!

Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Simple Meatloaf with Lessons Learned
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
"We learn everything from our failures, and nothing from our victories"
                                                                              -Max Harding, Leverett's Chapel High School Football coach after a 113-0 Homecoming defeat

Learning what not to do from others - can be more powerful than than having nothing but a string of successful cooks in a row Mike - thanks for sharing this ( and reminding me to clean out my pellet grills... :))

But the really good news is that you still had a great looking dinner! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 10:08:05 AM »
Loaf looks good.  Glad nobody was hurt and that there was no damage.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:14:21 AM »
The meatloaf looks like it came through fine!!! Glad it was not worse. I have never had a grease fire but have had a few other mishaps with my Traeger that has made me wiser, I think!  ::) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »

X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
The meatloaf came out great. Good lessons learned. We got some new Traeger drivers around here and they could learn from this post.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
That reminds me, it is time to really give my MAK a thorough cleaning.  I like your meatloaf.  That will make some great sammies.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »
Mike, glad that it wasn't a disaster for you. I vacuum the loose dust in my pellet pooper after each cook, but I don't clean the grease and junk that is slowly building up on the bottom. Your newly gained experience has helped me realize that I better get with the program and do a proper clean up more often. Your meatloaf is a winner.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
Sorry to hear about to fire  ??? just glad all worked out for you.

This weekend I have my sister coming over for ribs so I guess I better clean the Rec-Tec,  I have not done it since I got it  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »

Ditto here Mike! I do the same thing. After a long cook I generally think I'll get a short cook in and then clean. So from now on clean-up after all long cooks!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »
The flame-kissed meatloaf is a winner!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »
Great post!  Glad you noticed the fire in time to save the groceries  :o

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:40 AM »
Thanks for the info HOS!  A good lesson for me too - change the foil often.  (and the meatloaf looked great!!!)

One question for you on the Lumberjack pellets.  My B-I-L picked some up for me in Boise becuase they were on sale.  He had been using them and really likes them.  We were down there visiting about a month ago and went over to his place to make sausage and pick up the pellets.  He and I have teh same grill (Blazin Grand Slam) and he asked me if I get this oily/wet residue on the inside of my pellet grill like he was showing me on his.  The only place I have noticed it is at the bottom of the vent pipe (chimney).  I typically use BBQ'ers Delight pellets and have been really happy with how clean they are and the smoke they provide and the burn time.  I hesitate using the lumberjack pellets as I think it might be the pellets causing the residue.  Have you noticed that issue on your pellet grill with the Lumberjack pellets?  Thanks for any feedback on this   :D
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »
Thanks for the info HOS!  A good lesson for me too - change the foil often.  (and the meatloaf looked great!!!)

One question for you on the Lumberjack pellets.  My B-I-L picked some up for me in Boise becuase they were on sale.  He had been using them and really likes them.  We were down there visiting about a month ago and went over to his place to make sausage and pick up the pellets.  He and I have teh same grill (Blazin Grand Slam) and he asked me if I get this oily/wet residue on the inside of my pellet grill like he was showing me on his.  The only place I have noticed it is at the bottom of the vent pipe (chimney).  I typically use BBQ'ers Delight pellets and have been really happy with how clean they are and the smoke they provide and the burn time.  I hesitate using the lumberjack pellets as I think it might be the pellets causing the residue.  Have you noticed that issue on your pellet grill with the Lumberjack pellets?  Thanks for any feedback on this   :D

I have that too, but it is under the smoke cap.  I can't say for sure if it is the pellets that are doing it. I started using BBQ Delight at first, then I went to Cookin Pellets, and it was there after using both of them. So don't know. Maybe some of the more experienced pellet jockeys can jump in here. I do notice that since I put the downdraft hood on my grill I don't get as much as I use to. It could also be from the humidity down here. Very humid just about all year long.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles