Author Topic: Who owns a pellet smoker/grill  (Read 33974 times)

Offline Hub

Re: Who owns a pellet smoker/grill
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 07:33:32 AM »
. . . Also from what I have read about them is when it comes to high temperature grilling it is not what hey are noted for; have you used yours for searing?

Whoever said that obviously doesn't own one.  The Memphis line is highly touted for high temp capabilities.  My Advantage will easily pass 600+ and sears beautifully.  There are some minor maximum and minimum temp differences among the units in their line but all have broad range.  The only pellet cooker which will surpass a Memphis for searing is one of Fast Eddy's multi-zone units that has a small, dedicated searing area that really screams.

Note:  Pellet consumption at searing temperatures is high with any brand of pellet cooker.  If all you are seeking is super high heat for fast grilling and searing you're likely better of with an infrared burner on a gas grill.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 09:58:32 AM »
My Select goes from 180F to 550F. Factory is 200F to 500F ;)

I can tell you it sears just about as hot and fast as my Charbroil RED with wood grilled flavor.

I also added a custom flame zone to mine for flame kissed searing. The Select does not have that option for a flame zone so I modified an additional drip pan for one. It works like a dream.

It is truly a pellet grill that does it all.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 10:09:40 AM »
I've had a Traeger BBQ075 for about 15 years (I got on the pellet band wagon pretty early on).  I've been very happy with it and use it often.  I don't think I've ever grilled on it (that's what the Weber kettle is for).  I do mostly low and slow (brisket, pork butt, etc) and occasionally whole chickens at higher temp.  All in all, a great cooker.

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
I saw a video where this Bubba took out the heat/grease tray in his pellet grill. He then set some grill grates in over the fire pot. He did line the area around the fire pot with foil and grilled steaks. They came out nice............Is that a common method for searing in a pellet grill??

Shouldn't they be called Pellet Smokers??  :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
HEY!...I resemble that Bubba! :D :D :D...

Seriously that is how I do my " wood grilled"  steaks. Awesome flavor.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Who owns a pellet smoker/grill
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
I've got:
Traeger 055
Traeger 075
GMG JBR
Memphis Elite
Yoder YS-640 Comp Cart Orange (next week)

Plus a warehouse and a shop full of GMG's, Memphis' (memphi?) and very soon Yoders.

They all have their own unique traits and personalities.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline Hub

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 08:03:07 AM »
I saw a video where this Bubba took out the heat/grease tray in his pellet grill. He then set some grill grates in over the fire pot. He did line the area around the fire pot with foil and grilled steaks. They came out nice............Is that a common method for searing in a pellet grill??

Shouldn't they be called Pellet Smokers??  :D

The method you describe here is an old Traeger trick from way back.  I've never done it because I've got the Memphis for high temps but GG's over the fire pot on the Traeger is a great way to get to searing temps and is frequently done.  Most newer pellet cookers have higher temp capabilities and you don't have to do this trick with them. 

As to calling them "Pellet Smokers" that does apply to some that are purpose designed for that (FEC 100 and 120 come to mind).  Early pellet cookers (like Traegers) were better for smoking than grilling but could grill at medium temps.  Nowadays, most are (my term) pellet "cookers" and can do it all.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »
I have always liked to grill a bit slower than the norm anyway. My brother will mound up the charcoal on one side and sear his steaks then kick em off to the other side to finish off. I like to start em indirect for a bit with some smoke after the coals have gone past their heat spike and then will grill them slowly........just seem to like them better that way.

I agree with the term cooker cause these new pellet contraptions can do it all:  grill-smoke-roast and bake!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »
Memphis flame zone seared T-Bone...

Center loin chops...

Dry aged Rib-eyes...

Seared Rib-eyes before flame zone mod...

So as you can see the Memphis can sear even without the flame zone and standard grates ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 03:54:02 PM »
I have always liked to grill a bit slower than the norm anyway. My brother will mound up the charcoal on one side and sear his steaks then kick em off to the other side to finish off. I like to start em indirect for a bit with some smoke after the coals have gone past their heat spike and then will grill them slowly........just seem to like them better that way.

I agree with the term cooker cause these new pellet contraptions can do it all:  grill-smoke-roast and bake!!

Totally by accident I wound up with one of the best reverse searing combos one can have.  Whenever I do steaks for a group I fire up the ol' Traeger low and slow and sort of "warm" the hunks in the smoke.  Then, right beside it, I've got the Memphis going pedal to the metal with GG's on and I take the "smoked" steak and give it a few minutes on each side.  Oh, yeah . . . it's what's for dinner  ;D

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 04:19:44 PM »

Totally by accident I wound up with one of the best reverse searing combos one can have.  Whenever I do steaks for a group I fire up the ol' Traeger low and slow and sort of "warm" the hunks in the smoke.  Then, right beside it, I've got the Memphis going pedal to the metal with GG's on and I take the "smoked" steak and give it a few minutes on each side.  Oh, yeah . . . it's what's for dinner  ;D

Hub

My boss does that with his cookshack, he will smoke em in the shack for a bit and then sear em on his BGE......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 02:10:31 AM »
I have had my Traeger 07E about 3 yrs. now. Love it, used gas fired water smokers over 25 yrs before going to pellets. Love the ease of use and keep mine pretty clean. Besides smoking on mine I use it a lot as an oven and a slow cooker. I use it year around and would say I do about 75 percent of my cooking on it. Smokin Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
Don, I love th eset up and if you lived near me Kimmie (my Better half) would be right there with you enjoying a beer!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokenovice

• Southern California
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 12:50:38 AM »
Traeger BBQ075 Texas was my first and the MAK2 #700 should be my last forever.  I've been totally happy with it and the company's exceptional customer service levels  :) :) :)
MAK 2 Star General #700
Traeger BBQ075 Texas
Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit Charcoal Smoker & Grill
Barbeques Galore Capt'N Cook Endeavour Propane 3 Burner

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »
Traeger 075 (2008 my first pellet grill), another 075 (2007 USA), and a Junior, and the BBQ 100 Deluxe (2007 USA with warming drawer and storage compartment on the right side.