Author Topic: Cut point and flat to hang separately on the PBC?  (Read 12319 times)

Offline gigama

Cut point and flat to hang separately on the PBC?
« Reply #-1 on: July 30, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »
Greetings

I have a 16.5 pound brisket to cook and the flat is pretty thin.  I was curious if I should cut them and hang them separately and measure the temp on the PBC.  The flat will probably get to 160-165 well before the point but I could just leave it hanging until the point gets to 160-165, wrap them both to 203 and put in a cooler

Thanks in advance. I figured you guys would have some experience with this, and I don't want the flat to get all overcooked as this brisket is pretty long and would hang close to the coals.  Factor in the thin flat and I anticipate this could be an issue. Any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks and happy cooking!!

Offline Kona

Re: Cut point and flat to hang separately on the PBC?
« on: August 01, 2019, 10:20:37 PM »
I had recently watched a show on Netflix called "The Chef Show" and one of the episodes featured Aaron Franklin. In the episode he went into great detail as he showed how to trim down a brisket. One thing he had said is he would never separate the point and flat. He said it just won't cook the same and won't get the results he's looking for.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
Typically, the point and flat of a brisket are not separated early in the cooking process because having them joined contributes the the mass of the critter chunk and helps control the evenness of the cook.  Also, the point is a source of a lot of fat melting (flavor).  Doing a brisket that big in a PBC is going to be a challenge, though and the cooker is not exactly optimized for it but can do a great job if you're careful.

Try doing about half the cook (I'd say around five hours) with them joined.  Neither will reach "done" in that time but you can evaluate the relatively doneness of each half when you do separate them.  After separating and getting them back in the cooker as gracefully as possible, take the flat to about 195 or until a toothpick goes in like it is butter.  Take the point a bit higher, say on up to 205 -- it will stay moist because it is fatty.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
Hub's and Aaron's points* are (as always) well taken. On the other hand, I've had some pretty good cooks over the years when I've separated the point and flat before cooking. I started doing this when I decided to occasionally corn the flat but still wanted smoked point for chili, sandwiches, burnt ends, etc.

I guess my theory is that they are substantially different chunks o' cow and separating them allows me to cook them as such. I'm not sure if it really does what I think it does but if I'm smoking the flat I usually put some of the trim on the rack above and (again, according to one of my many unproven theories) let the drippings assist in keeping it moist.

It works for me but, of course, YMMV.

Jus' sayin'...

* don't know whether the pun was intended or not - it just sorta crept in.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 06:10:00 PM »
I'm no brisket expert by any means, and I've never separated the pieces prior to cooking, but I do have two questions:

1. Since brisket flats are often easier to find than whole packers, if you do separate a packer, why not cook the flat just you would if you only bought the flat in the first place?

2. With all of these previously mentioned flats available, where are all of the separated points available for sale?  Man, I would LOVE to find that meat market ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
I never buy flats separately because they cost 2-3 times as much as packers around here and I can always find something wonderful to do with both parts.

Like Big Dawg I'd love to find points for sale; I'd probably buy at lease one or two "extra" whenever I bought a packer. I'd guess they use them for grind or make them into that crappy bagged corned beef you buy when you're desperate around St. Patrick's Day (and forgot to corn your own for half the price and ten times the quality).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »
I'm with you, Turtle, I'd always buy an extra point or two.  Everyone one my family goes nuts over the burnt ends.  There's never enough of them.  In fact, I usually have to "reserve" just to make I get a couple ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC