Author Topic: Bertello pizza oven  (Read 7062 times)

Offline KyNola

Bertello pizza oven
« Reply #-1 on: May 13, 2021, 10:01:59 AM »
I recently purchased the Bertello gas/charcoal/wood/pellet fired pizza oven.  I have not had the opportunity to try it out yet.  Anyone out there own this oven?  Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Bertello pizza oven
« on: May 13, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »
Never heard of it but if you are going to cook at the max temp I would suggest using a high hydration dough.  It is harder to work with but work your way up until you get something you can handle.  I cook with the Ooni Karu (wood/charcoal fired) and found its different than cooking in the oven.  The Karu seems pretty similar to what you got.

My first suggestion if using wood/charcoal would get a base of charcoal going then add wood to get the higher temperature.  If you use all wood my experience is you'll need a lot of wood to achieve and keep a good base of coals and the charcoal wood mix gives the best of both worlds.

Last tip I would give is practice.  While we liked the pizzas from the get go the more we used, the more I adjusted the dough with extra water, added some sourdough, proofed longer (24hr vs 48hr vs 72hr), fridge vs no fridge, less toppings the better the more I learned what we liked and what worked for us.  There were times where we used it for 4 weekends in a row.  I recieved it Jan 2020 and it took until March 2021 until I think I really nailed it.  Good luck

Being in the Mid Atlantic region (Philly Burbs), we get some cold winters and I ended up getting the gas burner for Christmas to use in the winter time (and if we every have a pizza party).  It does not get as hot at the wood/charcoal fire.  While easier to use this is something about having a live fire that makes it fun, but be prepared for minor adjustments with different cooking fuels

Feb2020

Jun 2020

Sept 2020

Nov 2020

Jan 2021
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline KyNola

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:34:12 AM »
Thanks for all your advice and experience.  I appreciate it.

Offline akruckus

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 02:57:56 AM »
Did you ever get this up and running?
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline KyNola

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 09:27:23 AM »
I am sorry to say I have still never fired it up. Had a personal issue I’ve been dealing with. Everything sort of got put on hold.

Offline akruckus

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 09:48:56 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  It is a process to start up a pizza oven and totally understand.  Hope it gets better for you
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759