Author Topic: The Greatest BBQ Story Ever Told  (Read 2078 times)

Offline CaptJack

The Greatest BBQ Story Ever Told
« Reply #-1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
The Greatest BBQ Story Ever Told
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:07:49 AM by CaptJack »
King of the OldSmokey

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: The Greatest BBQ Story Ever Told
« on: April 09, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
Great read!!  After seeing all that food, I am really hungry.  Never mind, I just remembered that I am having leftover ham and pasta.  Maybe a short cocktail will help.  Or a long one!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »
I have been watching Aarons utube vids, the time he has taken to do these is very helpful to us new guys
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:43:25 AM »
What a great article story. Could be an interesting movie - with a kinda River Runs Through It feel...

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:03:56 AM »
This is just my $0.02 for what it's worth (which is a little less than $0.03 and sometimes a little more than $0.01), but since I am just a couple of hours from all of this drama and get to spend a fair amount of time around Austin...  Aaron Franklin is a good cook, but I honestly don't think he is noticeably better than a lot of others in Central Texas.  I think he benefits a ton from the hipster BBQ trend that is going on in Texas right now (Pecan Lodge in Dallas is another great example of how good BBQ can be viewed as great BBQ and draw hours and hours of long waits with a hot trend and some TV exposure).  I also think that folks who have waited in line for hours drinking beer so that they can be "cool" are not necessarily real BBQ guys and are also going to convince themselves that it was worth the wait.  John Mueller is a GREAT BBQ cook, but he is a 1st class a-hole in more than enough ways to feel less than sympathetic to his situation.  I truly do hope that this comeback (the John Mueller Meat Company opening that happened in February) is for real (if for no other reason than his family's legacy) and that he has his head on straight, but when the comeback is accompanied by claims that he will be the same crotchety jerk as always it is hard to stay positive about it.  All things considered (no lines or idiotic behavior), I'd go to John's place.  None of it really matters IMO if you aren't at one of these places (and I include a lot of other Texas BBQ joints because of the meats being served without sauce - THE ONLY WAY TO GO) when the meat is fresh off of the pit.  The folks that are getting the dried out crap after waiting for hours are still raving about it.  That's how you know that they are going to think anything is great.

OK, off of my soapbox for a while.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:33:03 AM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 11:52:18 PM »
Jack,  Thanks for the well written article.  I'd never heard of Aaron until Jaxon posted his experience using Aaron's tecnique on SOTG.  Most folks don't realize how hard work it is to run a BBQ joint and the hours required. My quess it is one of the most failed start up restuarants in which to go into business.
I think my Daddy could have done well if he had ever opened one. His sauce,  Brunswick Stew, and butt were legendary around Savannah in the 50s and 60s. 
Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers