Author Topic: The Versatile Mason Jar  (Read 7416 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
The Versatile Mason Jar
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »
The Mason jar was invented and patented in 1858 by Philadelphia tinsmith John Landis Mason.  Among other common names for them are Ball jars, after Ball Corporation, an early and prolific manufacturer of the jars; fruit jars for a common content; and simply glass canning jars reflecting their material.

The Mason jar is one of the most versatile items invented; at least to me. Their uses are unlimited; we use them daily, wide mouth pint jars are our everyday water glasses. I have canned some over the years and pickled food. I use them a lot for food storage; some other uses that comes to mind are, flower vase, to water flowers, a pencil holder, to clean paint brushes and to store parts in. My favorite use would be as a beer glass! The pint is perfect for a beer.

Our home is decorated early American. A lot of our furniture and decorations were bought at auctions over the years. I have  a quart and a pint Mason jar with the original patent date of 1858. The quart jar has an original zinc lid. My favorite color is the dark aqua, blue green.

Our vegetarian daughter in law uses them to store her grains and pasta in.

When I saw the commemorative set of six small mouth pint jars at Amazon I knew had to have a set. I checked at Walmart but they didn’t have them so I ordered them from Amazon. Also shown were lids with a battery and solar collector to use the jars as a night light. They come in brown or silver so I ordered three brown , two for me and one for our daughter in law.

The night light lid is a perfect way to show the jar. They come with a plastic insulator on the battery so you have to remove it for them to work!

Original quart and pint jars with the patent date are on the right, on the left are two of the new ones.

As a night light

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: The Versatile Mason Jar
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »
Don't forget the trusty button Jar. I made this one for a project my wife was working on awhile back :)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »
I was thinking you fellas down south would be more inclined to use them like this,

http://www.amazon.com/Moonshine-Jar-Pewter-Lid-2-pack/dp/B005KJT9PI

Just kidding ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 02:34:43 PM »
They are cool

When i metal detect and come across a mason jar lid, i dig from the side to the jar cuz you never know what could be in them. To dat i have dug 6 jars with the old white milkglass inserts under the lids.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »
CDN,  You can  tell that Amazon is in yankee land because that is a Redneck Wine glass.   It's obvious they ain't got no kulture. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
CDN,  You can  tell that Amazon is in yankee land because that is a Redneck Wine glass.   It's obvious they ain't got no kulture. Dee

Laughing way to hard Dee
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
... Redneck Wine glass.   It's obvious they ain't got no kulture.

The really "kultured" among us call it "classic Southern stemware."  Other, more contemporary designs made of modern materials are available as part of a "sofisticated" entertainment set as shown below.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:20:08 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
I may be in Yankee land but I do know how to make a red neck bloody Mary!!! A good cheap beer, V8 juice, a dash of hot sauce and a celery stick!   8) Smokin Don

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »
Turtle,    I really like that red stemware  because many times when I give them for wedding gifts they match the stripe colors on the newlywed's double wide.  I wrote and explained that to the company making them and they said they would look in to making other colors...I was surprised that I was the first one with this suggestion.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »
I drink sweet tea in mine.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

The Versatile Mason Jar
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 07:11:05 PM »

Sweet tea should be banned. ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »

Sweet tea should be banned. ;)

:D :D :D :D  and sometimes not so sweet tea.............. ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
When you need a relaxing evening at home take a pint Mason jar fill it with ice up to the neck then fill it up with some Tito's Handmande Vodka (from Austin, TX) and let it sit for a minute or two till the ice and vodka mix into that sublime cold mixture. SIP that down and if you are not relaxed and chilled out, you have a worse drinking problem than I do.

You can use any kind of glass you wish, but a Mason jar seems to do the trick much better.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »
When you need a relaxing evening at home take a pint Mason jar fill it with ice up to the neck then fill it up with some Tito's Handmande Vodka (from Austin, TX) and let it sit for a minute or two till the ice and vodka mix into that sublime cold mixture. SIP that down and if you are not relaxed and chilled out, you have a worse drinking problem than I do.

You can use any kind of glass you wish, but a Mason jar seems to do the trick much better.

Perfect!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »

sounds like a good idea for some Makers Mark 46....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"