Author Topic: The Versatile Mason Jar  (Read 7422 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: The Versatile Mason Jar
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 08:56:58 PM »
When you need a relaxing evening at home take a pint Mason jar fill it with ice up to the neck then fill it up with some Tito's Handmande Vodka (from Austin, TX) and let it sit for a minute or two till the ice and vodka mix into that sublime cold mixture. SIP that down and if you are not relaxed and chilled out, you have a worse drinking problem than I do.

You can use any kind of glass you wish, but a Mason jar seems to do the trick much better.
that sounds like a good recipe for some Makers Mark 46...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 11:27:01 PM »
I drink sweet tea in mine.........

Same here......... ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 12:03:23 AM »
Those blue jars are quite pretty!

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »
Got a house full of em. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 07:44:28 PM »
Just ordered 12 of the half gallon,they are nice.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 01:13:19 AM »
When you need a relaxing evening at home take a pint Mason jar fill it with ice up to the neck then fill it up with some Tito's Handmande Vodka (from Austin, TX) and let it sit for a minute or two till the ice and vodka mix into that sublime cold mixture. SIP that down and if you are not relaxed and chilled out, you have a worse drinking problem than I do.

You can use any kind of glass you wish, but a Mason jar seems to do the trick much better.
Love Tito's - gonna get me a proper glass! Thanks.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:16 AM »
A Minnesotan saying "... gonna get me...??"

I guess the proper response is "Ya, you betcha."
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
I drink sweet tea in mine.........

Sweet tea should be banned. ;)

You have never had good sweet tea,apparently. It's the official drink of the South! 

My Grandfather used to take old Mason jars & mayo jars and bolt/nail the lids to the underside of a shelf above his workbench. Then, he would fill the jars with small screws, nails, drill bits, etc. so he could easily see them and be able to identify what was in each one. Multiple uses for those old jars.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline GrillinBWCA

• Boundary Waters, Minnesota
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »
Atlas is another old brand name for glass canning jars.  I have some other oddly named ones too, but can't recall what they are right now.

I use mine for a wide variety of storage, too.  Most of mine are vintage, ranging in size from 1/4 cup to half gallon.

I made these foamy soap dispensers out of a couple vintage blue glass jars.  The blue dish soap looks best but I didn't have any right then.  The quart dispenser is in the kitchen and the pint in the bathroom 

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
A Minnesotan saying "... gonna get me...??"

I guess the proper response is "Ya, you betcha."

Actually, that is North Dakotan... I don't say "Ya, you betcha..." WAY too Minnesotan. Don't say "oof da" either.
Member #

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »
Atlas is another old brand name for glass canning jars.  I have some other oddly named ones too, but can't recall what they are right now.

I use mine for a wide variety of storage, too.  Most of mine are vintage, ranging in size from 1/4 cup to half gallon.

I made these foamy soap dispensers out of a couple vintage blue glass jars.  The blue dish soap looks best but I didn't have any right then.  The quart dispenser is in the kitchen and the pint in the bathroom 

Oh I love this idea!   Very nice use of those!  :)   The old blue color is just beautiful.   Cool picture with the deer in the background too!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »
Like to know more about your dispensers,mrs just made 10 gallons of liquid soap for 1.25 USD,crazy eh?Here is the recipe thats all over the web.....

http://www.homemadelaundrydetergent.info/homemade-liquid-laundry-soap-front-or-top-load-machine/

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 04:16:12 PM »
It makes an excellent bourbon drinking vessel.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline GrillinBWCA

• Boundary Waters, Minnesota
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »
Thanks, SmokinKat!  The deer hang around all winter because we feed them.  Who can resist those big brown eyes?

Uff Dah was commonly heard where I grew up, in southwest Minnesota.  I think it's a Belgian thing.  Up here in the arrowhead, people say 'eh' like in some parts of Canada, or 'hey' used the same way, at the end of a sentence.  The accent here is like northern Ontario, not Fargo.

Spuds, good luck with the liquid laundry soap.  I tried it and once the residue from the store detergent washed out, our clothes were so gray and stinky we'd have been ashamed to wear them.  It works for some people though, I guess, because enough people rave about it.

I used the pump from foamy dispensers that came with store bought foamy soap to make the jars.  I cut the threads off of the original plastic soap bottles so the pump part had something to screw itself to and hold the lid and pump together, and then used a utility knife to cut a hole sized to fit the pump.  The lids were a couple that I purchased that are made for Mason jars.  Don't drill holes in them because they'll just break.  Once I had the lids and pumps assembled, I determined how long the little hoses needed to be to reach the bottom of the jars, then just slipped it over the original tube.  I used some scraps of aquarium tubing to lengthen those by cutting them to length and then trimming the bottom of the tubing at an angle so the soap can easily get in there.  That's it.  To mix up your own foamy soap, pour in about 1/3 to 1/4 of the bottle (one pint jar will take about 2/3 to 1/2 cup of dish soap, for example).  The amount depends how thick the soap is.  A name brand that's thick will take less than the cheap stuff from the dollar store.  You may have to experiment a little to get the right amounts.  Put the cover on and shake over the sink, because the lids WILL leak.  I guess you could stir the mixture before putting the lid on, too.  I'll have to try that myself.  Making these are pretty easy, even though it might not seem like it.  If you don't want foamy soap, then just use a dispenser from a regular soap jar.  I get mine at dollar stores buying those dollar bottles of hand soap, which is a lot cheaper than buying dispensers separately.  The cut-off threads don't show once it's all put together anyway.     
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:39:35 PM by GrillinBWCA »