Author Topic: The Versatile Mason Jar  (Read 7420 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: The Versatile Mason Jar
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Thanks Grillin.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »
When you need a relaxing evening at home take a pint Mason jar fill it with ice up to the neck then fill it up with some Tito's Handmande Vodka (from Austin, TX) and let it sit for a minute or two till the ice and vodka mix into that sublime cold mixture. SIP that down and if you are not relaxed and chilled out, you have a worse drinking problem than I do.

You can use any kind of glass you wish, but a Mason jar seems to do the trick much better.

I store Tito's Vodka in my freezer. I don't think there's a smoother vodka on the market
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
When you need a relaxing evening at home take a pint Mason jar fill it with ice up to the neck then fill it up with some Tito's Handmande Vodka (from Austin, TX) and let it sit for a minute or two till the ice and vodka mix into that sublime cold mixture. SIP that down and if you are not relaxed and chilled out, you have a worse drinking problem than I do.

You can use any kind of glass you wish, but a Mason jar seems to do the trick much better.

I store Tito's Vodka in my freezer. I don't think there's a smoother vodka on the market

After much scientific research, in my opinion Tito's is the best and smoothest Vodka on the market and much cheaper than the high priced yuppie vodkas. My wife likes it with cranberry juice with a splash of orange juice. I like it straight over rocks.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »

After much scientific research, in my opinion Tito's is the best and smoothest Vodka on the market and much cheaper than the high priced yuppie vodkas. My wife likes it with cranberry juice with a splash of orange juice. I like it straight over rocks.

On the rocks with a splash of soda
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline DWard51

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
x3, Tito's is good stuff.  And the freezer is the only place it should be stored 

For those not familiar with alcohol in the freezer, if the alcohol content is high enough it will not freeze.  It just gets super cold!   Wine and beer will freeze and break the container, but "hard" liquor will not.  I'm not certain what percentage or proof you need not to freeze, but vodka lives in my freezer just fine. On the other hand, tried a bottle of peach schnapps one time and it froze solid.

Back more on subject of the mason jars, I like those soap dispenser mods.  May have to make a go at this one.

Offline spuds

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »
x3, Tito's is good stuff.  And the freezer is the only place it should be stored 

For those not familiar with alcohol in the freezer, if the alcohol content is high enough it will not freeze.  It just gets super cold!   Wine and beer will freeze and break the container, but "hard" liquor will not.  I'm not certain what percentage or proof you need not to freeze, but vodka lives in my freezer just fine. On the other hand, tried a bottle of peach schnapps one time and it froze solid.

Back more on subject of the mason jars, I like those soap dispenser mods.  May have to make a go at this one.
I like vodka,OJ,and a shot of Midori. :P Like drinking soda pop so be careful!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

I bought some tequila down in Mexico one time and when I put it in the freezer it did freeze. So I showed my old neighbor and he decided to take a swig off the bottle(there was some liquid in it). The look on his face was classic because he pretty much drank 200 proof tequila since the alcohol that was in the liquid did not freeze. :o
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 11:23:51 AM »
Picket fence and Mason jar solar lights:

I know you guys would rather fill a Mason jar with vodka but out daughter in law filled hers with solar lights!

Jul 29 2014

The past two weeks I had been helping our son build a picket fence; mainly so their dog could have a place to run. The cooler weather we have been having was kind to us. I had set poles while in the USAF and set several on my property but had never built a fence.

We used 4X4 treated lumber for the posts and quick-krete to set them. We had to keep the posts accurate to put up the pre-made 4X8 red cedar picket sections. It connects to the house on one end and the garage on the other. The one corner we had to use two sections on an angle to miss some large roots from an old oak tree. We installed one 4 foot gate. All was put together with deck screws.

For two amateurs it turned out looking nice. There was about a 6 inch rise in the yard and we kept all the pickets looking pretty level by gradually raising the posts and height.

Our son’s wife is pretty handy and artistic. She made some hanging solar lanterns from pint Mason jars. She got the idea from the blue jar, with solar lid I had given her but pricing the solar lids they were $5 each. I think she did a dozen of them.

She bought little stick in the ground solar lights at Lowes for .97 cents each. She tore them apart, cut square holes in the Mason lids and glued them in. She drilled holes in the lids and put a section of chain on to hang them up. She has them all hanging on the fence posts and they look nice. She said she just had $31 in the lights.

Gate entrance

Angled corner

Solar light

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
Very nice looking fence. Well done! Is that a fire pit being dug? I like the idea of the mason jar lights... will try that for my deck. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »
Very nice looking fence. Well done! Is that a fire pit being dug? I like the idea of the mason jar lights... will try that for my deck. Thanks!
A fire pit yes. I like the big pot they have, looks newer than an old cast iron pot. The bottom is welded on and it has slotted hole for air. I think she is going to make a ring with brick and then fill with pea gravel. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »
Seeing as how I am raising a baby..I do the same with baby food jars, even tho she isn't eating baby food now. They make great lites for under an umbrella,  and to set around anywhere, specially at night. Ambiance..besides I look better in the dark like most everyone..LOL   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
BEAUTIFUL!