Author Topic: Salmenella in Spices ?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Salmenella in Spices ?
« Reply #-1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
Here is an article that drew my attention since I use a lot of spices in cooking. Smokin Don
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08/28/216550862/your-kitchen-spices-can-often-harbor-salmonella?ft=1&f=1003
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Salmenella in Spices ?
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
 ::)

Well... these folks have to make money, so I suppose the article has some degree of validity...

But - seriously - I would not lose any sleep over it. Everything we use has been irradiated or pasteurized. And - no one has croaked - or even got a case of the "quick rep"...so.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
::)

Well... these folks have to make money, so I suppose the article has some degree of validity...

But - seriously - I would not lose any sleep over it. Everything we use has been irradiated or pasteurized. And - no one has croaked - or even got a case of the "quick rep"...so.....

Yea Tee I did not expect anyone to get too upset by this just raise there awareness to the fact. Whatever spices you cook with would be safe anyway. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
Oh - I am not upset Don...I just have come to identify certain blogs  - just like journalists - as creators of news via "scare tactics" - vs - actual reporting of news. Know what I mean? It is kind of funny. I see a lot of this kind of stuff everyday and have become kind of - indelible to it... ;)

When you think about all of the food items wee encounter everyday - that are far more risky - but I will risk mentioning some of them .... ;D

1. Lemons...Do youhave lemon in your water or tea at a restaurant? Yes?? Lemons are the one item in the kitchen that when tested - consistently have more bacteria ( salmonella, and e-coli) than ANY item tested...And ---this is the bad part: They never get washed before they go into YOUR wter or tea!

2. Pick any fruit or vegetable in the store. Look at the origin. Think about the opportunity for rats and other critters to crawl all over it in transit. Do you think they are sterile?

3. Hamburger - need I say more?

:D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »
Oh - I am not upset Don...I just have come to identify certain blogs  - just like journalists - as creators of news via "scare tactics" - vs - actual reporting of news. Know what I mean? It is kind of funny. I see a lot of this kind of stuff everyday and have become kind of - indelible to it... ;)

When you think about all of the food items wee encounter everyday - that are far more risky - but I will risk mentioning some of them .... ;D

1. Lemons...Do youhave lemon in your water or tea at a restaurant? Yes?? Lemons are the one item in the kitchen that when tested - consistently have more bacteria ( salmonella, and e-coli) than ANY item tested...And ---this is the bad part: They never get washed before they go into YOUR wter or tea!

2. Pick any fruit or vegetable in the store. Look at the origin. Think about the opportunity for rats and other critters to crawl all over it in transit. Do you think they are sterile?

3. Hamburger - need I say more?

:D
Tee I better just forget it, I didn't mean I thought you were upset I meant anyone in general. The article appeared on PBC news and I kinda trust them more than the other networks. I would probably contract it easier from these darn starlings that have invaded the neighborhood than a food product. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 10:53:17 PM »
 I know what you mean Don. It is not a slam on anyone particular "source"...it just seems that lately - they ALL look for anything that they can find to fear monger...Maybe I just need more fiber :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401