Author Topic: Getting Pellets to Smoke  (Read 618 times)

Offline MJSBBQ

Getting Pellets to Smoke
« Reply #-1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »
I have tried to use pellets on my RED to put a smoke flavor to steaks and fish dishes, but I can't get the pesky things to give out any smoke. I have placed them on the direct high (clean) setting and left on for an hour---nothing. I have tried foil, tuna cans, even a cast iron smoke holder that came with a shipment of pellets I bought----nothing.

You really can't light them with a lighter.  Do I need a flame thrower?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Getting Pellets to Smoke
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »
Get yourself an A-Maze-N Tube Smoker. http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNTS

Then use a propane torch to get them lit.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »
It may have something to do with the confirguration of the trough in the RED.  I have a Quantum and I get great smoke from both pellets and chips cause they slide down nicely between the grates ridges onto the emmitters.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:27:01 AM »
I use a portable propane torch, like a plumber uses, to light my pellets. I have even started doing this when firing up my Yoder 1320, it speeds up the heat up time. The A-Maze-N tube is definitely the answer!!!!
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »
So it does take a propane torch--- Does anything else work?

I looked at the Amazing site.  What size of tube should I use for my RED?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:17:28 AM »
So it does take a propane torch--- Does anything else work?

I looked at the Amazing site.  What size of tube should I use for my RED?

I would get the 12 inch.

When you load it with pellet you light the end with a torch. The key is to leave the end flaming for about 10 minutes. And then blow out the end.

A full tube will give you hours of smoke. Just leave it on the top rack and close the lid to your RED.

Also give Milt's pellets a try. They come in some great flavors and a small handful of pellets will burn a couple of hours ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
12 inch ordered!

Now, how big a flame thrower do I buy? ;D I don't own one now.

One more question when I get it. About how long do I cold smoke a steak or salmon fillet to give it a smoked kissed flavor? If it is a cold smoke I do, does it change much how long I cook the fillet so I don't overcook the meat? That is what my problem has been in the past, I normally cook my steaks about 4 minutes a side on the RED then let it rest for a good warm pink center (145 degree). Will the cold smoke Amazing Tube change this to any significant amount?

Thanks again!

Offline Pappymn

Getting Pellets to Smoke
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »

12 inch ordered!

Now, how big a flame thrower do I buy? ;D I don't own one now.

One more question when I get it. About how long do I cold smoke a steak or salmon fillet to give it a smoked kissed flavor? If it is a cold smoke I do, does it change much how long I cook the fillet so I don't overcook the meat? That is what my problem has been in the past, I normally cook my steaks about 4 minutes a side on the RED then let it rest for a good warm pink center (145 degree). Will the cold smoke Amazing Tube change this to any significant amount?

Thanks again!

I just bought this.  Go with the big one on the right....gets it done

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »
I use the Benzomatic TS 8000. It has an automatic finger tip start and stop. Really generates a lot of heat. I use this to not only start the pellets in the 12 inch tube, but also the charcoal in my Weber and the Yoder backyard wood smoker. If these are not big enough, you might want to try a weed burner.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.