Author Topic: Mini Gathering at Jaxon's House  (Read 2090 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Mini Gathering at Jaxon's House
« Reply #-1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:40:58 AM »
I don't know if anyone has posted on this topic yet (because my search skills are lacking), but we had a great day of friends, conversation, tall tales, and a lot of good food cooked on the grills at Jaxon's house in Byron, GA on Friday. There is picture proof of this event, but I am still away from home for about a week so either Jaxon or Mike will have to do the posting for now. We had a good crowd...Jaxon and Deb, Mike (High on Smoke), Albert and Sylvia, and myself. We were disappointed that Dee was under the weather and couldn't make it. We ate really good. Albert grilled 2 appetizers on the IR CharBroil...some french bread with bacon bits, pico de gallo, and cheese and then he grilled some avocado halves before he added cheese, bacon, and grilled shrimp (he made mine with grilled sausage instead of shrimp because he said that I was "special") and then put them back on the grill to melt down and blend the flavors. Both were delicious and I ate too many. Mike made his famous chicken wings on the Weber. We all learned great Weber technique watching him. They were so good and I ate way too many.  Jaxon made 3 racks of St. Louis ribs on his offset. He had that offset tuned in perfectly with oak wood and it maintained a perfect 275 all afternoon. They tasted like competition quality and, again, I ate too many. Jaxon also made some mac and cheese from the Masterbuilt cookbook that was really good. For the vegetables, Deb made a spring salad and also a fruitbowl that we snacked on all day. We all had the best time just sitting around conversing, telling stories, talking about everyone on the forum, and just enjoying everybody's company. The weather was perfect, the food was extraordinary, and the camaraderie was fantastic. Mike took pics and Jaxon took pics and I took a few on the cell, but I can't post them until I get home. All in all, it was a great day. Thanks to Jaxon and Deb for providing their house and hospitality for us to do this.

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Mini Gathering at Jaxon's House
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »
Sounds like a great time! Albert so very graciously offered to come pick up my wife and I to make the trip but she did not feel up to it right now and we had a carpenter coming to make an estimate. I have met Don and Jack and his wife and I have talked to Albert on the phone several times and they are all fine people. Jaxon would like you to think he is a "backyard Jack" with his cooking skills, but I have seen the results.

Down South we have a saying "They're Good People". It is absolutely the best compliment you can pay someone. We have so many folks like that on this forum.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
Sounds like a blast.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »
Y'all can't imagine what a thrill it was for us to have these folks make the trip to join us on Friday.  Don had planned his "business trip" months ago and was on his way to NC...BUT...he still drove about 2 hours out of his way to come by.  When Albert heard Don was gonna be here, he decided to fly in with Sylvia from northern AL.  When Mike heard about it, he was gracious enough to drive over 3 hours to join us.  Uncle Devious had planned for about 3 weeks to drive almost 3 hours, but he came down with the pluperfect funk and decided not to share it with us.
We had a fine day for a cookout but we had no schedule or agenda other than to enjoy the total experience "au casuale".  We had the smoker going when everyone arrived, but waited to prep the ribs.  The wings were in the brine waiting for Mike to get the Weber ready (the guy KNOWS what to do with a Weber Kettle).  What I'm sayin' is, we started pretty much from scratch after folks got here so we could all experience the prep, the cooking, as well as the eating.  It worked out well as everyone did a part.
Don told you more of the story...from MY side, this was more of "livin' the dream"...enjoying the company of good friends as we get together around some good comfort food.
By 10:30 it was over - the last friend drove away after about 11 hours of good cookin' and great fellowship.  We were dead-dog tired, but very thankful for the whole experience.
Deb and I agreed to try to hold another cookout like this every 3 or 4 months, so we'll keep you posted.

Now, I have a few pics to share...MIKE is the one with the complete documentary.  Jump in here Mike, and help me out...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:25:34 PM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
It definitely was loads of fun, food and just chillin out!  I think I took the same photos that Jaxon posted but
I will have to check my camera and see what I missed.  NOTE: Jaxon I know you took more group photos then the
one you posted with my tongue sticking out!  ;D It was really worth the 3 hour drive and I will be making that trip
again. 

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »
now you see it...now you don't, Mike

You can cook on my Weber anytime, buddy.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
Okay here are some more pictures taken at Jaxon's house in no particular order. There may be a few
repeated from when Jaxon posted his.

Enjoy!

Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 10:21:53 PM »
Man wish I was there.  Last time Kimmie and I was there it was a blast!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:49:13 PM »
Looks like a great time with great food and friends.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »
food looks fantastic.  what a great day for ya'll.  thanks for sharing the pics. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 05:08:50 AM »
Know thats good living! Thanks for sharing,and the avocado,never heard of that before,and all the food looks superb.Nice way to spend a day.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 06:58:42 AM »
Looks like y'all had a great time!

Thanks for sharing ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
Some great BBQ done by great cooks and good friendship!!! Looks like fun!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
Looks fantastic.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »
Folks like Jack and Deb are fewer and fewer these days  :(     Both are really great and if you go the the GA cookout this fall you can meet along with Uncle Dee!   :D :D :D :D

Yes, Tee will be there to  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION