Author Topic: Mini Gathering in Ohio  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Mini Gathering in Ohio
« Reply #-1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:27:17 AM »
May 10 2014

A month or two ago Ahron, africanmeat, posted he was coming to the states on business and he would be making a road trip from Memphis Tennessee to Cleveland Ohio and ask for route suggestions. The shortest was to take I71 from Cincinnati to Cleveland. I wrote to him and said it was about 70 miles longer, but if he took I75 it would take him through Wapakoneta and he could stop in for a visit. He said good and maybe we could get Pam in on this too. I contacted Pam and she was in. My friend Brad, Sandman said he would try to stop in. Cliff, tent hunter was coming down too but forgot he had a band concert to do.

I was pretty intimidated to cook for Ahron since a lot of his cooks look 5 stars to me. I had a batch of my sauerkraut just done so I decided to have brats and kraut, kimchi, potato salad and a pea salad.

The week before was pretty hectic here, my wife’s 96 year old aunt died. We had a viewing to go to on Thurs. and the funeral was Friday. I made the potato salad Friday afternoon and the pea salad Saturday morning. Ahron had called me on Thursday and said he would be in about 4 or 5pm Sat. I told him to call and I would pick him up at the motel.

Ahron called at 4:30 and I picked him up at 5:15. Pam and her granddaughter arrived shortly after. I told her not to bring anything but she brought some warm German potato salad and a bottle of Riesling wine. Our son, wife and grandson came.

For appetizers I had my smoked Cajun crackers, pretzel crackers, Manchego, cheddar horseradish, Amish butter cheese and some goat cheese rolled in Za’atar seasoning, olives, marinated artichoke hearts, jalapeno cheddar summer sausage and old fashioned bung bologna.

My Cajun and regular brats were from my butcher Kah Meats and I did them slow on my Traeger. Sandman showed up just before we were ready to eat with one of his pizzas from his Beer and Wine Depot. It had his homemade sausage and bacon and I think peppers and onions on it. He stayed for a while to chat then had to go back to work.

I wish I could put it in better words but in short my friends and fellow LTBBQ members made my day! I was so engrossed in talking with Ahron and Pam I didn’t get many photos. Sandman’s pizza was a hit and so was Pam’s German potato salad some of the best I have had. My brats were a little overdone, I think. I guess Sandman and Pam out cooked me!

Pam and her granddaughter left shortly after supper. I will say she is doing a good job raising her 17 month old granddaughter. I was worried about my dog; he is usually a little nippy around small children but he was completely calm with her; letting her pet and hug him. We have a lot of little things setting around that are at her eye level and she just left them alone. The best little tot we have ever had in the house to visit.

I picked Ahron up at the motel so we could have a few drinks after supper; he said we could party late. My wife who doesn’t drink could drive us back. Ahron brought me a bottle of Amarula from Africa. It is cream liquor and made from the fruit of the marula tree. I will make a post in spirited discussions about it. I and our daughter in law thought it was good!

We all had a great time talking and learning a little more about each other. Ahron is a delight to talk to and it felt to me like he was old family. My family all loved him too. Now that boy can eat some food and he out did me; in my younger years I could have stayed with him. But when it comes to partying I would say this old man out did him. I think he had about 3 Yuengling lager beers; I had at least 3 beers, some of his Amarula and some scotch.

About 9:30 Ahron said he was ready to go. I think it was closer to 10:00 or after when my wife drove us to the motel with a hug and a handshake we said goodbye; I hope it’s not the last.

If Ahron can ever get back I will try to cook something special for him.

The four of us posed for pics while our daughter in law shot 3 or 4 with 3 cameras. I had 4 and this was the best of the 4; at least the best of me!! Maybe Ahron or Pam will have some better shots!

L to R Pam, Sandman, Africanmeat, Smokin Don

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:54:24 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Mini Gathering in Ohio
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:37:56 AM »
Sounds like you all had a lot of fun and food.  Thanks for posting.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:56:50 AM »
Very nice to see friends having fun! Sounds like everyone had a real nice visit with Ahron!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:21:20 AM »
Looks like you had a fantastic time.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:36:11 AM »
Great photos and looks like everyone had a good time.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
Very cool! Glad you all had a good time!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:09:21 AM »
Sounds like a great time - this forum is unique in the way it brings people together.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »
Great to see! Most forums do not have much "real world" camaraderie as we do. Just a testament to the genuinely friendly nature of our community. ;)

I hope you let Pam make you the maple-bacon glazed doughnuts.....OMG.....I still get a shiver when I think about those. I will not let myself make them...because I will eat them ALL...... :D

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
Looks like everyone had a great time.  Doesn't get any better than that!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »
Glad to hear everyone had a great time and the list of food sounds fabulous.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
That's what its all about, man...ain't it great when friends finally get together!!!

B T W...would you mind telling me who is who in those pics?  I mean, I know Pam, but who are the guys?

Just askin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pappymn

Mini Gathering in Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
Love it! Looks like fun
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
That's a great looking bunch of LTBBQ'ers. Writing to each other on the forum is good, but it is so much better when you can meet in person where you can establish a true friendship that can last a lifetime. I envy all of you. Pics are great. Thanks for sharing them.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 02:42:43 PM »
Looks like everyone had fun! Thanks for sharing!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »
Love it when good people get to meet and eat from all over because of the forum