Author Topic: North Alabama gathering  (Read 2426 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
North Alabama gathering
« Reply #-1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »
Well it's over and everthing is cleaned up and I'm sitting here at the camp site typing this out and thinking
how much fun Kimmie and I had.  Ken (Towpockets) and lana came up from middle Alabama, Albert and Sylvia came
 over from West ALabama, Gus (GusRobin) from North Alabama and Terry (TLG) and Kerry came up from way down
South Alabama.

For Albert, Sylvia and Gus I cooked a breakfast fatty with eggs, cheese, sausage and bacon with syrup poured on
top. :)   Also made biscuits in the Camp Chef oven Kimmie bought. From the way Albert ate his I think he liked it!

After breakfast we sat around waiting on Ken and Terry to show up.

Ken and Lana showed up about 12:30 and we all had a good time sitting around and talking cooking. But Albert had
to leave early because he had a granddaughter playing in a state softball tournament and they won their round to
the next game that afternoon. Hated to see Albert and Sylvia leave, but before they headed out I made some bacon
 wrapped onions with Super Pig on them, again Albert tore into them ;) Gus brought some sausage an man it was
good.  Gus says it's just plain old sausage but it was really really good. After we ate Abert and Sylvia left
to go watch their granddaughter play the rest of sat and talked for awhile then Terry and Kerry showed up.

Terry and Kerry made it just in time to sit talk a few then have lunch. After talking meeting and greeting we
sat down to lunch. I made a an SRG butt, a Tri Tip that slow cooked then seared on the Grill to Go grill, cooked
 up the rest of the sausage Gus had mad plus tossed in some homemade Italian sausage I made plus sides of SRG
corn, kimmie's Asian slaw and crock pot beans.

To say we had a good time would be lying, I had a great time and I know Kimmie did as well, I just hope it was
worth the drive for the rest of the group cause some drove a long way for my cooking. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:02:14 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: North Alabama gathering
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
Looks and sounds like you all had fun!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »
Here are a few pictures of the food, didn't get enough pictures sorry.  I was trying to cook and make sure everyone had what they needed

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
As Tommy's post shows one of the numerous great things about this forumn is the opportunity to meet such great people with common interest.

Another thing that is evident from the pictures is that good looking ladies do not choose their husbands based on good looks.

Ken, it is great to see Lana up and out. Hopefully, she can make it in September.

Tommy, you did a great job as host....with Kimmie's supervision and guidance of course.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 11:15:32 AM »
Man, what a great time that sounds like (and looks like as well).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 11:35:08 AM »
Hope to be there next year to join the gatherings.  Sure looked like fun
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
Hope to be there next year to join the gatherings.  Sure looked like fun
Looking forward to you showing up in Bama!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
What a great gathering and excellent pictures. MN needs to do something like this. Thanks for the inspiration!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:58:30 AM »
Great looking bunch of folks and the food looks outstanding.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
 Its not often we drive 400 miles for a few hours visit...(Lunch)  But Tommy was the cook and seeing a few friends is worth a little extra effort most times.  Kerry and I were both excited to make this trip. Tommy and Kim were great host and of coarse the food was excellent. I really hate we missed Albert and Sylvia but I totally understand spending time with the grand kids is very important. We stopped half way up Friday night so Kerry could see hers. We were working on really short notice because another of  Kerry's daughters here is threatening to give birth any day now. 
  And as far as Gus's "Plain ole sausage", I thought they were very good indeed.  The flavor of the meat was highlighted very well. Lots of times people go over board with the spice and that's all you end up tasting.  These were great.
 Kerry was happy to meet Kim and Lana and really enjoyed herself.
She is on a Bare Minerals Blog as much as we are on here and has become a company ambassador for them so we had to make a stop in Birmingham at their store there on the way home... 
 Its always good to see Ken and I am so happy Lana is doing well enough to get out a little now. She is a very nice lady. 
 The weather worked out for traveling well except for about 50 miles of the last hundred.
 I really hope we can do these little meets often in the future. 
Oh an Kim was saying how she wanted some nectarine trees but wasn't sure if they grew up there. Well I found the ones in the picture at the hotel in Madison so now Tommy has to plant trees....  :o

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
Looks like an awesome time was had by all! Great looking photo and photos! I am definitely counting the
days until the Fall Gathering!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
That's a great looking bunch of guys and an even better bunch of wives. Glad ya'll had a wonderful time and thanks for the write-up and the pictures. That food looks amazing. I like your campground, Tommy.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »
It was a good trip for us, Lana enjoyed getting out and meeting everyone. Tommy and Kimmie were great hosts and all the food was excellent. It was nice to meet Albert and Sylvia and Gus and good to see Tommy, Kimmie, Terry and Kerry again.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »
It was a good trip for us, Lana enjoyed getting out and meeting everyone. Tommy and Kimmie were great hosts and all the food was excellent. It was nice to meet Albert and Sylvia and Gus and good to see Tommy, Kimmie, Terry and Kerry again.
We had a great time and we are really glad you and Lana made it.

Good to see her doing better.   OBTW, did you and Lana get to see the band at the hotel?
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 06:09:10 PM »
Looks like it was a great time, Tommy. 

You were right; that campground looks gorgeous!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68