Author Topic: Equipment advice???  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Equipment advice???
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »
Don't forget you need a tester ??? ??? ??? I would be glad to test everything you make ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline JPMcSR

• Have A Sparkling Day!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
Would suggest that you check out any used restaurant supply stores in your area. I found a 1/3HP Hobart #12 meat grinder and tenderizer machine at an equipment fixture store. They had 100's. The guy wanted $200.00 each. I offered $150.00 for both. He said "if it's green? You got a deal". Neither were stainless. That didn't matter to me. I have used them for the better part of 30 years now and both still run great. I then found a used meat slicer for $50.00 from a small food shop that went out of business. I have made hundreds of pounds of sausage, both Italian and breakfast, and venison salami. If you can find a used commercial grinder you can stuff casings directly from the machine with a sausage horn. Good Luck! JPMcSR
Have A Sparkling Day!
JPMcSR
3- Dome type charcoal smokers
1- Luhr Jensen Little Indian electric smoker
1- Char Broil Propane smpker
1- Brinkmann 5 burner with smoker gas grill
1- Char Broil "The Big Easy" oilless fryer
3- Oil deep turkey fryers
Been smok'in and deep frying for 40 years

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
First let me warn you, sausage making is often referred to as "the dark side" because it opens up a whole new world of food opportunities and can become addictive!  8) 

I recommend starting slowly and growing into it.

If you have a good local butcher, then all you really need to start (besides a couple recipes and seasonings) is some kind of mixing tub (I use inexpensive wash tubs), some nitrile gloves and cotton glove liners (to keep your hands warm and your sausage cold).

You can start out by buying some ground pork from your butcher and mixing some bulk sausages.  THEN if you think you're going to enjoy sausage making, you can move on to a good stuffer & stuffing sausages,  and finally a good grinder.

Also, start out with fresh style sausages to get use to the process, then move on to cured/smoked sausages.

Casings:  The best place to buy casings... again try your local butcher!  Most local butchers have and sell sausage making supplies.  If you don't have a local butcher who makes sausage, then you might need to go to an online store such as www.meatprocessingproducts.com.

AVOID buying those small "Home Pack" packages of casings.  They are irregular size/lengths and usually poorer quality.  Instead buy the full hanks of casings. That's what butchers use, and trust me the difference in quality is worth it!  You will pay a little more up front buying a whole hank, but not that much more, and as long as you keep them packed in salt and store in the fridge (never freeze them), they stay good for 2 - 3 years.

I've tried the "pre-tubed" casings, and don't think they are worth the extra $$.

When you get a hank of casings, they will come packed in salt on a ring.  Go ahead and separate them into smaller zipper bags with some of the salt, and store them in a bigger bag in the fridge (not freezer).  If you need more salt, just use pickling or Kosher salt.  This allows you to pull out what you need as you need them.  If you have any casings left over after stuffing, just put them back in a baggie with a tsp or so of pickling salt and put them back in the fridge for later use.

A good rule of thumb for hog casings is you will need about 24" of casing for every pound meat.  They do NOT need to be soaked for hours.  All they need is a good rinsing off/out and about a 20 minute soak in lukewarm water (this is per my butcher who makes hundreds of lbs of sausage every week).

Stuffers:  Do your best to avoid stuffers with nylon gears, and opt for metal gears, ESPECIALLY if you plan to stuff smaller diameter sausages (breakfast links, snack sticks, etc.).  The smaller the diameter sausage the more strain it puts on the gears!

Some stuffers, such as the LEM's come with nylon gears, BUT you can order a metal gear replacement kit, so be sure to look for that!

Grinders:  Again, avoid the grinders that have nylon gears.  They simply do NOT hold up under heavy use, and talk about noisy!  ???

If you can swing it, get at least a true 1/3 - 1/2 hp grinder with a size #12 throat.   A #8 throat requires cutting meat into much smaller pieces, whereas a #12 throat will take much bigger strips.  I cannot stress how much time this saves!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:32:47 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Roget

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »
Thanks  for all the good advice.
I will appreciate any and all suggestions any of you have for me..

I am starting on the journey. ;D
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner