Author Topic: What do you use for cookware  (Read 14158 times)

Offline Fullplate

What do you use for cookware
« Reply #-1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »
I am getting a Mak in August. Been reading as much as I can. I cannot find much info on what type of cookware people use. I have seen what looks like Pyrex. Wanted to try making chili and thought cast iron Dutch oven or stainless steel? Other? I’ve seen drip pans with wire racks but no soup or chili I can find. Maybe even a pie? What different things have everyone used. Won’t use enamel cast iron to many reviews of it chipping.

Offline rwalters

What do you use for cookware
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:17:01 PM »
Lodge Cast Iron is some of my favorite cookware, especially when it comes to any type of outdoor cooking.

Man, that’s a long wait... August? Summer will almost be over :(  One or two Star. I have owned both and currently cook on a 2 Star. You’re gonna love it! :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline jimsbarbecue

Re: What do you use for cookware
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
I know you said no enamel cast iron. Just as a knowledge base Sams and Walmart has a import brand that gets two for under $50. We have used Pyrex and enameled cast iron. The Pyrex cleans better I think. When used on any BBQ cleaning the outside of the pot is just as important.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:33:56 PM »
Enameled cast iron will not chip on its own. It has to be dropped - or mis-handled to chip. It is not delicate...but sure - you could damage it. But I still think it is the best overall cook ware. I love my cast iron....but Lodge is not as smooth as it used to be when it was made ..."in the good old days". Watch your local flea markets for Griswold, or other brands of cast iron that have nice smooth interiors. Makes a HUGE difference in clean up - and they can become practically non-stick if you clean season, and oil them right.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Fullplate

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:34:16 PM »
August cause I’m turning 50 and my wife says it’s your present. A few years ago I was going to get one and decided to plant fruit trees instead. Now I am back to getting one, I told my wife I was saving for one and get it next year. There not cheap!  And that’s when she said birthday present for you. Yeah!

I have a griswold frying pan. Just not a Dutch oven. Lodge cast iron enamel says on packaging not for use on a grill. On amazon a lot of the enamel reviews are complaining about it chipping except Le Creuset but I’m loath to spend that much for them. I’ll look for flea markets if I get a chance. I’ve got some Pyrex but I was in the store and some Pyrex says not for use in the grlll.  Probably the cheapest stuff then.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
I have several pieces of "cheap" enameled cast iron...and I even have some made by Staub ( makes Le Creuset seem cheap...) I have found ZEO difference in durability regardless of the brand. No chipping of either cheap or expensive stuff.I am sure both would chip if handled roughly - but that is in my control/my responsibility.  Fit and finish...yes - a little bit nicer on the Staub. *BUT* at a price factor of x4-5...it OUGHT to be!

My point is this: It is a very human thing to get caught up in becoming a fan-boy for "the brand" - whatever brand that is at the time. Fad and fashion affect far more than just clothing - or at least the same psychological effects do ;).

I use all of my cooking utensils in my MAK. Not for grilling tho -but that is only because I have not found a need. If I want to grill int eh MAK - I will use the Grill Grates, or the actual griddle that MAK makes.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 06:50:51 AM »
I have a Staub that I like, and bought when it was on sale. I was leaning lodge, but their enamel is made in China, so I went with the made in France instead.  One thing with the Staub is the darker interior which makes it hard to see if you are burning any fond (bits on the bottom of the pan), which would affect (effect?) the flavor of the stew, chili, braise, etc...  I've been using my new All-Clad stainless steel pots/pans  for everything on stove and in oven.

Whenever I use pans on the grill I use my standard Lodge pans, or the back of grill grates.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »
Are the mak grates that come with grill strong enough to handle a lodge skillet and than the meat also ? It’s alot of weight .
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »
I have a Staub that I like, and bought when it was on sale. I was leaning lodge, but their enamel is made in China, so I went with the made in France instead.  One thing with the Staub is the darker interior which makes it hard to see if you are burning any fond (bits on the bottom of the pan), which would affect (effect?) the flavor of the stew, chili, braise, etc...  I've been using my new All-Clad stainless steel pots/pans  for everything on stove and in oven.

Whenever I use pans on the grill I use my standard Lodge pans, or the back of grill grates.

I have an expensive all clad skillet ( around 100 bucks ) if I can remember , that I never use. It’s a pretty pan but everything sticks like hell to it.
Are the mak grates that come with grill strong enough to handle a lodge skillet and than the meat also ? It’s alot of weight .
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »
Enameled cast iron will not chip on its own. It has to be dropped - or mis-handled to chip. It is not delicate...but sure - you could damage it. But I still think it is the best overall cook ware. I love my cast iron....but Lodge is not as smooth as it used to be when it was made ..."in the good old days". Watch your local flea markets for Griswold, or other brands of cast iron that have nice smooth interiors. Makes a HUGE difference in clean up - and they can become practically non-stick if you clean season, and oil them right.

This^
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »
I have several pieces of "cheap" enameled cast iron...and I even have some made by Staub ( makes Le Creuset seem cheap...) I have found ZEO difference in durability regardless of the brand. No chipping of either cheap or expensive stuff.I am sure both would chip if handled roughly - but that is in my control/my responsibility.  Fit and finish...yes - a little bit nicer on the Staub. *BUT* at a price factor of x4-5...it OUGHT to be!

My point is this: It is a very human thing to get caught up in becoming a fan-boy for "the brand" - whatever brand that is at the time. Fad and fashion affect far more than just clothing - or at least the same psychological effects do ;).

I use all of my cooking utensils in my MAK. Not for grilling tho -but that is only because I have not found a need. If I want to grill int eh MAK - I will use the Grill Grates, or the actual griddle that MAK makes.

I use the cheap enameled CI for the grill and open fire..and the le Creuset for home.  I use the enameled for totmato based foods and regular cast iron for other stuffs  . 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
I use lots of pyrex for veggies such as brussel sprouts and cauliflower. Works a treat and smoke scrubs off surprisingly easy.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »

[/quote]

I have an expensive all clad skillet ( around 100 bucks ) if I can remember , that I never use. It’s a pretty pan but everything sticks like hell to it.
[/quote]

For non-sticking try this; get the pan hot first, then put cold oil in it.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 11:36:08 AM »
August cause I’m turning 50 and my wife says it’s your present. A few years ago I was going to get one and decided to plant fruit trees instead. Now I am back to getting one, I told my wife I was saving for one and get it next year. There not cheap!  And that’s when she said birthday present for you. Yeah!

I have a griswold frying pan. Just not a Dutch oven. Lodge cast iron enamel says on packaging not for use on a grill. On amazon a lot of the enamel reviews are complaining about it chipping except Le Creuset but I’m loath to spend that much for them. I’ll look for flea markets if I get a chance. I’ve got some Pyrex but I was in the store and some Pyrex says not for use in the grlll.  Probably the cheapest stuff then.

Thanks for the replies.

Pyrex used to be made out of borosilicate, the same material used for lab flasks, etc. Several years back, Pyrex switched to tempered glass to reduce production costs. It's not as durable and can shatter(explode) under certain conditions, hence the warning.

Offline retfr8flyr

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 08:43:24 PM »

You are not using the pan correctly. I have several All Clad pans and they all cook great. You can't put food in a cold pan, or it will stick. Heat the pan first and then add your food, when a drop of water will dance across the pan it's ready for food. When you put food in the pan, like chicken breast, or something, don't try and move it until it has cooked some, then it will not stick. I have a mixture of SS and CI pots and pans. My favorite pan is actually my All Clad D7 skillet. It cooks almost like CI, takes a while to heat up and has great heat retention but much better heat distribution. The biggest drawback, for me, with CI is the poor heat distribution. My SS cookware is much better for heat distribution.
Earl
Grills are Kamado Joe Big Joe, Akorn, Akorn Jr. and  Camp Chef Flat Top 600 griddle