Author Topic: PBC Manufacturing  (Read 12729 times)

Offline Scgator

PBC Manufacturing
« Reply #-1 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:02 PM »
Did I hear correctly that PBC has moved it's manufacturing to China?? I really hope not!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline rwalters

Re: PBC Manufacturing
« on: January 27, 2020, 01:56:38 PM »
Pretty sure what you’ve heard is correct :(
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Scgator

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 05:34:20 PM »
Pretty sure what you’ve heard is correct :(
And the price goes up! I thought sending manufacturing to China is supposed to make stuff cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »
My old pbc bottom is going to rust out soon.  I might try a po mans grill next.  I have loved my pbc though.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »
That's to bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 07:37:20 PM »
Sad indeed if it's true. That was one of their big marketing points and part of the great back story with being Veteran owned and invented.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 04:42:08 AM »
Why no comment from anyone affiliated with PBC? Being a vet, I too was influenced to get one by the "American made and owned"  hoopla....I find this very diasppointing, if true.

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
Here is a direct quote from PBC after someone contacted them:

"Thank you for contacting us. The manufacturing of the Pit Barrel Cooker moved to China more than two years ago. However, we do continue to sell items on our website that are made in the USA. All packaging is labeled appropriately as to where the item was made. We continue to be veteran and family owned. We are very proud to have our largest workforce ever in the USA including customer service, sales, operations, fulfillment, etc. We are also proud to keep our quality high and our price low so that we are able to donate to many domestic organizations that benefit first responders and their families. If you have any other questions about this, please feel free to call. "
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 08:14:17 PM »
I have known Noah and Amber longer than anyone here  (I introduced the PBC to Tim) and they are great people.

I do feel slightly disappointed but they fought the good fight and probably had to go overseas to keep the PBC at 299.99...…………...
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 12:36:27 AM »
Don't really have any issues with Chinese Pits, but I am a bit put off to the quick turnaround from the initial flag waving they have done.

Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 09:22:32 AM »
The reality of doing business in the USA.     Money or should I say "Profit margin" will always win in the end no matter who owns the company.

I can't say I blame Noah and Amber for doing it, hey they got to make a profit to stay in business  as we all learned in school but just a shame when a proud company like thiers has to move to China to make money.  :( :( :( 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »

Hello All,
Here is a statement from Noah.

As a veteran that has fought for our country I would like nothing more than to have all of our products made here in the US. However, as we have grown like we have it's just not sustainable given the industry that we are in and the product that we sell. When we started out I made every PBC personally with my own hands. I can tell you that it was a hard decision and one that was well thought through. Often times Chinese manufacturing is not a good thing for the consumer, product, brand and most importantly our Country. I can tell you that I have made sure that this transition has resulted in all good things. We have tripled the number of employees hired here in the US, absolutely no one lost their jobs here in the US. It has also allowed us to give even more to the charity organizations that we donate to here in the US. The mom and pop retailers here in the US are able to recognize a better profit margin. Lastly the product and packaging of the product is better in every way.  We still offer and maintain the same great customer service and core values that we always have and will continue to do so. Should you have any further questions, I make myself available at anytime.