Author Topic: Is this right  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Viper209

Is this right
« Reply #-1 on: March 05, 2021, 02:46:05 PM »
First real cook. PBC temp has stayed at 225-227 for 2.5 hours.
On the grill I have half turkey breast and racK St. Louis ribs cut in half. 2 thermoter wire type cables through 1 of the rebar holes (both bars in) and bottom air flow about 1/4 way open. At 2.5 hours turkey breast at 148
Does the temp seem right?
Thank you

Offline NickyDeuce

Re: Is this right
« on: April 29, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
    You may want to open your bottom vent a little more.  A lot of smokers like to run at 225-250 but the Pit Barrel is designed to run a little hotter.  275-285 I have found is the ideal cooking temp.
Weber Kettle 22"

Pit Barrel Cooker

"Southern barbecue is the closest thing we have in the U.S. to Europe's wines or cheeses; drive a hundred miles and the barbecue changes." - John Shelton Reed

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: Is this right
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »
As I recall, my PBC would run at ≈315°F when it was set up per the instructions and ready to cook.  I think that the PBC web site FAQs used to list 315°F as the normal operating temperature.  315°F is neither low and slow nor hot and fast.  It's somewhat in between.  After a time, that information was removed from their web site and they seemingly have been intentionally noncommittal about operating temperature.

As my cooks progressed, the temperature would usually drop to ≈285°F.  I wanted more reliable temperature control, not because I thought that it was important to the cook quality, but because I needed to forecast the completion time so the sides would be ready to serve at the same time.

I installed a stoker that gave me ±1°F by controlling the air supply.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas