Author Topic: A tasty spin on grilled chicken  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Pappymn

A tasty spin on grilled chicken
« Reply #-1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
This article was in my weekend paper. Some interesting tips. I have seen air cooled chicken in stores......just assumed it was an overpriced gimmick.

Also the idea of the 3 day dry brine sounds interesting. Now I want the rotisserie add on for my Weber. ???

Anybody have any experience with the air cooled chicken?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rotisseries-put-a-tasty-spin-on-grilled-chicken-1405101841

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: A tasty spin on grilled chicken
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »
Pappy, Like you, I assumed the "air chilled" was a marketing gimmick. But this does sound interesting. I will look for a couple of these birds and try them in my PBC. While they don't spin (wouldn't that be interesting....  ???) they are wrapped in the gentle heat from the PBC. Traveling this week, but sounds like a plan for next weekend. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »
Interesting article Pappy. I don't believe I have ever heard of air chilled chicken. The next time I venture into Whole
Foods or another of the "fancier" (expensive!!) stores I will see if I can find them and see if they are actually worth the
price. I have air dried with a salt and baking powder rub for 24 hours and the skin came out crisp and the chicken was
juicy. So I will wait and see if David posts a cook on the air chilled chicken and go with his review.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
Most interesting concept.  I will wait of David to try his air chilled chicken on his PBC.  I had a rotisserie for my Weber, but gave it to my DIL for their Weber.  I don't think she will give it back, either.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 07:56:36 PM »
I have a rotisserie grill,so I will try this sometime.These things are dirt cheap in thrift stores in GREAT condition,think unwanted wedding gifts? Make GREAT birds.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pappymn

A tasty spin on grilled chicken
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
I have a rotisserie grill,so I will try this sometime.These things are dirt cheap in thrift stores in GREAT condition,think unwanted wedding gifts? Make GREAT birds.

That was the "grill" of my youth. I have vivid memories  of thick cut Iowa pork chops cooked on the Farberware and basted with margarine. And boy were they dry ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »
I have never seen the air dried chicken in the stores Pappy but I did one awhile back the was air brined for 24 hours in the fridge and did on my rotisserie. It was delicious chicken but did not remember the skin being that crispy. I might have been because of the pan I had under the chicken. Don
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=9884.msg133375#msg133375
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »
I loved using my rotisserie for chicken and turkey on the char broil gasser right up until I got my SRG, since then I don't think I've even fired up the old gasser, but the rotisserie always did a great job for us. It was real good with pork loins as well.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
Rotisserie chicken is great! Nice even cooking.

I believe the constant movement not only allows for even cooking but keeps the juices constantly moving through the meat without dripping out.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 12:04:21 PM »
 We only eat Maple Leaf or President's Choice air chilled chicken. I read an article on the difference, and water chilled chicken pick up a lot of weight from the soaking they go through. Don't like to pay for water. Since they are the same price here when on sale that's why we buy them.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »
We only eat Maple Leaf or President's Choice air chilled chicken. I read an article on the difference, and water chilled chicken pick up a lot of weight from the soaking they go through. Don't like to pay for water. Since they are the same price here when on sale that's why we buy them.
Good deal.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »
Now I want the rotisserie add on for my Weber. ???

Me, too ! ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 01:14:51 PM »
I have been buying the air chilled chicken from Whole Paycheck  Foods, and it really is good chicken. Had a friend call me up around Christmas time and offered me his Weber rotisserie for $75, so I bought it.

Here's a recent chicken that I took for a spin. Should have trussed the legs, but I ran out of cotton twine. It was still good & juicy, and took less than an hour  @ 350~400°. Mine is the older style Weber rotisserie ring with the feet that doesn't seal up very well, so it is hard to keep temps much lower than that even with closing the bottom vents. I used apple wood to give it a light smoke flavor. Was great for pulled chicken nachos & chicken salad.

Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »
Never been in a Whole Foods.  We have one, but it's not all that close and not on any of my normal routes.

Just curious, what do their run per lb.?  (If that's okay to ask.)

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:00:27 PM »
Never been in a Whole Foods.  We have one, but it's not all that close and not on any of my normal routes.

Just curious, what do their run per lb.?
(If that's okay to ask.)

BD

Not as much as you might think. IIRC, it was less than $2/lb. for the whole bird. Somewhere around $1.69/lb. sounds about right, and not that much more than other stores. I find that they vacuum pack bone-in chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, drumsticks, etc.) in packs of four and mark them down about .30-.40/lb. which makes them comparable to organic chicken from other stores.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen